#46 kryten172

kryten172

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDCI GHIA FOCUS
  • Year: 2004

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi Yeah, i did ask DTUK... they give auto `answer you back in 24 hours` blurb but they dont ... maybe i should put `I send cash quick` in the header to get a response...lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2007 2.0 tdci old shape
  • Year: 2007

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

.....not wanting to harp on!

Do you think the glow plugs could be causing the exaggerated clattery starting in the mornings as it still does it to a less degree without the box.

No smoke etc . 

Temperatures are up today and I found when I started the car from cold this morning that all the clattering had disappeared so I am thinking my glow plugs need changing, which I am going to do then re fit the tuning box and try again!

#48 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

nothing to do with glow-plugs. it'll be your cam(lifters) or something.

I get this as well,when engines cold for 1st few minutes. I used comma oil last time & wont ever use it again as i never had a squeek before the oil change.got myself a Ford dealership oil this time.let you know how it goes after an oil change.

#49 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

nothing to do with glow-plugs. it'll be your cam(lifters) or something.

I get this as well,when engines cold for 1st few minutes. I used comma oil last time & wont ever use it again as i never had a squeek before the oil change.got myself a Ford dealership oil this time.let you know how it goes after an oil change.

Mabee its your teeth chattering with the cold lol

I agree that fresh oil change with quality oil can quieten the top end down a bit but there is no hiding the sound of diesel combustion with a cold engine on a cold morning

A Mondeo has (almost) exactly the same engine as a Transit or a London black cab/ taxi - so now you know why it sounds like that!  

Try a mazda petrol v6 - so quiet i often tried to start it when the engine was already running! (was'nt my car, it was brand new/ i worked at dealarship)

#50 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

The clatter when it was cold outside last week and before then actually retarded the power, i.e. it did not accelerate as quick as when warm, I take it from the above two posts that the lifters are hydraulic, if so then the quality of oil would make a big difference in the cold so next question is....do I put Mobil 1 in or similar for cold weather running?

cheers

#51 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

The clatter when it was cold outside last week and before then actually retarded the power, i.e. it did not accelerate as quick as when warm, I take it from the above two posts that the lifters are hydraulic, if so then the quality of oil would make a big difference in the cold so next question is....do I put Mobil 1 in or similar for cold weather running?

cheers

You have a very good point - the optimum temprature for economy is (apparently) 192 degrees farenheiet (88.8 degrees centigrade in tests on Ford (diesel!) trucks)  

The Mondeo takes "ages" to warm up and when it does the temprature struggles to get much above 60 degrees

I don't know the optimum temprature for performance for a diesel but i know its lower than 88.8 degrees but probably higher than 60 degrees

The glow plugs only really heat the combustion chamber enough for starting and the engine needs heat in the bores, piston head to run right / run efficiently because it is a compression - ignition engine and requires heat

On a cold day when the engine temp drops (normally after running the cabin heater) the MPG can drop too

Now that i have a digital temprature gauge/ controller and electric waterpump, im going to experiment with adjusting the temp to find the optimum temp for performance, but im pretty sure the engine does not run well untill 50+ degrees/ runs badly under 50 degrees (gauge starts at 40)

The above is for diesel engines, of course, petrol is a different kettle of fish

The Mobil 1 / castrol magnatec/ quality oil  should protect the engine better from cold, the engine should be quieter (esp from cold) and last longer before needing an oil change, may even have slightly better performance/ economy

The question is - is cheaper oil changed more frequently better than expensive oil changed less often?

#52 bladeage

bladeage

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

I was aiming more at the viscosity of the oil because there obviously seems to be a drag in cold weather on the top end,not getting any symptoms at all now the temperatures have risen,?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users