• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDci
  • Year: 2002

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi All,

I apologise if his has been discussed before, but I'll admit I'm a noob!

I've recently bought a 52 plate 1.8 TDCI focus with 180K on the clock. New cambelt at 170K. Seemed to drive fine, but as soon as you engage the turbo it stutters and the glow plug lights starts flashing. When that happens I tend to loose all turbo control all together and today I lost power when overtaking a lorry (quite scarry!).

I've taken it to a garge who chaged my fuel filter as they suggested the original was full of gunk. The car seemed ok for a few days without me using the turbo and driving sensibly, but the problem is still persisting.

I've got a horrible feeling the turbo is on the way out and don't really fancy paying out as much for a new turbo as I paid for the car. I'm going to attempt a minor service on it with a flush to see if this helps, but any suggestions from the experts would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Alex.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 356 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Take out the pipe going to the turbo and wiggle the turbo fan and see how much play you have

#3 Damothire

Damothire

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDci
  • Year: 2002

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'll give it a little wiggle at lunch. Stupid question: how much play (if any) should you fan give?

#4 focuscolin

focuscolin

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Name: colin
  • Ford Model: focus 1.8 tdci
  • Year: 2008

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

If I'm right there should be no play , I had a problem with mine not long ago it turned out to be a split pipe causing a loss of power , I had a quick look on eBay and found a few company's who did a recon replacement turbo for 400 quid.

#5 baitman

baitman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 tdci estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi All,

I apologise if his has been discussed before, but I'll admit I'm a noob!

I've recently bought a 52 plate 1.8 TDCI focus with 180K on the clock. New cambelt at 170K. Seemed to drive fine, but as soon as you engage the turbo it stutters and the glow plug lights starts flashing. When that happens I tend to loose all turbo control all together and today I lost power when overtaking a lorry (quite scarry!).

it might be that it is the EGR valve... 

mine felt like the turbo wasnt kicking in. it was ok at low revs, and when i opened it up or hit an uphill section and the car was under more load then the problem re-occured.

a much cheaper and easier fix than the turbo... best of luck, and report back soon  ;) 

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users