Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Failure 1.6 Tdci

minnis

Hi all,

My 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi came up with an engine systems failure message today just coming off of a dual carriageway (70mph) accompanied by a red light next to the trip computer. I think it went into limp mode (severly reduced power, unwiling to rev much), so not good when you live at the top of a hill! Two other times when starting the car it has briefly displayed an error message (once it said "steering assist failure", and yesterday it came up with the same engine systems failure message"). Both times I have restarted the car and it disappeared.

The car is a 2006 on an 06 plate, and has currently done 73500 miles. I bought it last may at 65000 miles, and it had a service just before I bought it. As it had just turned 6 years old/65000 miles, I'm presuming the DPF would have been changed then?

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Minnis

You sure it's got a DPF? I know of an 06 1.6 TDCi without one!

Well, I didn't know of any 1.6s without one! I thought they were on all 1.6s and all euro4 2.0s. I was under the impression only the 1.8s were DPF-free.

Its a 1.6tdci [110] euro 4, so I'm fairly sure it does have one.

Ah yes, the Euro 4 ones do have them. I was surprised myself, the one I'm thinking of (Girlfriend's Dad's) is a 2006 (06) 1.6 TDCi 110 but has no DPF so I'm guessing is the Euro 3. The tax is £100 a year on his.

Mine, which is a 2008 (58) 1.6 TDCi, does of course have a DPF, and is £30/year tax. The Ford Etis website classifies mine as "Stage IV + DPF Emissions". Can't check his as it doesn't appear on Etis unless you use the VIN.

Edit: Just found out (*): "Also, cars produced on or after 1st January 2007 must be Euro IV compliant[...]", so that explains it. I guess any 1.6 TDCi Focus after 01/01/07 will definitely have a DPF, before then, only the "Euro 4" ones will.

(*)http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/what-does--euro-iv--mean/225420

Just checked Etis, and mine definitely does have a DPF. Interestingly, mine is also £100 a year to tax.

Have done a bit of googling and some similar problems have been due to faulty throttle body (?) or glow plugs. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Minnis

You must go to a dealership and get your vehicle scanned for error codes. Anything else without certain failure code is a shot in the dark.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, and not good news. I was told just before easter that the DPF was blocked. I was given a choice of sending it to ford to get it cleaned, or they'd replace it. Cleaning would be cheaper, but there's no guarantee. Given that the dpf was scheduled to be replaced just before I bought it, I'm guessing it wasn't, so I thought I'd take the plunge and get it replaced. I also trust this Indy garage, as my family have been using them for years. They are honest and would not rip me off, as ford might. However, he called up later that evening, saying that the sensor pipe(?) had fused to the dpf, and that they couldn't get it off. He said he'd get hold of a new pipe, but a week later and they still can't find the part.

On a brighter note, however, my mum has put me on her insurance for two weeks. It may be a V******* C****, but its better than the bus I suppose!

The dpf strikes again most diesels are being traded in for that reason so much so a friends garage wont take diesels as part ex now too many dpfs failing leaving them to foot the bill you may need to go to ford for the pipe or the whole unit

Yeah, I'm kinda wishing I'd investigated the 1.8 a bit more to get out of the dpf when I got it, but the lower tax and insurance, and higher mpg were the deciding factors really. Will have to seriously consider the 1.6 eco boost when I upgrade.

Also, the garage has tried ford themselves, but still no joy :(

whats a dpf? I have a 1.6 tdci on an 07 plate having done 81k.....should this be something i need to look at getting replaced?

The dpf I'm told by my local ford dealer sits between the engine block and the outlet manifold and collects all the bad bits of diesel gases the engine chucks out . It normally cleans itself but only if you get the engine up to normal temperature for approx 20-30 mins on a motorway and you need to do that once a week I'm told . So if you just doodle about town all the time the filter will eventually get blocked and the engine goes into limp mode .

Like I said my local ford dealer told me this so if I'm wrong I apologise.

Youre correct its the reason why ford tell you in the brochure unless you do lots of miles dont buy a diesel

on the subject of DPF

I have it on my 1.6tdci (60plate) I dont think I have heard the regen process kick in once yet.

Is that a good sign, I have owned the car for about 16 months.

I do the odd stretch down the m25 every 2 weeks or so and most of my driving is on A roads but I have never noticed or heard the process.

on the subject of DPF

I have it on my 1.6tdci (60plate) I dont think I have heard the regen process kick in once yet.

Is that a good sign, I have owned the car for about 16 months.

I do the odd stretch down the m25 every 2 weeks or so and most of my driving is on A roads but I have never noticed or heard the process.

Never noticed or heard the process on mine either tbh. Done around 20K in mine and had no issues so far. Fluid needs topping up this year (37K service).

oooh i may have to get this checked out then :)

I have noticed when i put the blowers on to warm me up, it drags in a lot of fumes and the car stinks!

so what is this dpf regen process... is it just a posh !Removed!, with all the cack blowing out?

how does it work, and if it does 'go off' will it be like the sonic boom from concorde [rip] flying past :wacko:

The regen process for the dpf happens when the filter gets really hot (motorway driving 20-30 mins) and in doing so it burns off all the bad bits it as collected thus cleaning itself . If it never gets hot enough then you run the risk of all the bad bits blocking the filter and causing power loss due to the fact exhaust gases can't get through filter so choking the engine . This is what I'm told could happen and like I said I'm just passing on info hopefully correctly if not then I hope someone corrects me.

as posted in another thread by myself

as the pressure in the DPF rises the car decides to do a regen. in order to get the DPF to burn the soot its collected it has to get to about 600 degrees celsius. the engine management will then start to over fuel (it will spray some fuel in on the exhaust stroke) which will then be ignited in the filter to burn the soot. most of the fuel is sent into the DPF but some will get past the piston rings and will collect in the sump.

the reason for not topping up the engine oil on a diesel is because as its carrying out a regen cycle the oil level will rise and will get diluted with diesel. once its above max there is a possibility that the engine could run on the oil untill it goes bang.

if the oil level is on the dip stick but its low, leave it for about 1500 miles and then recheck the level you could find its gone up'

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the car back this weekend. Seems no different to drive than before, but MPG is now a lot better. I used to get about 50mpg when careful, now i'm getting about 55-57mpg. Admittedly part of this is down to the better weather, but it wasn't ever that high before the winter.

I was worried about the cost when the mechanic said it was the DPF, fearing that it'd be £1000+. But the DPF (and the glow plugs, which were dead) were changed for... £550!! My family have always used this garage and are always impressed by their cheap prices, but this was still amazing!

that is an excellent price by anyones standards, let alone given your location!

I have to say, given how things have changed and the VOSA rules are passed, I would be more likely to remove my DPF and remap the engine for under £300...

I was worried about the cost when the mechanic said it was the DPF, fearing that it'd be £1000+. But the DPF (and the glow plugs, which were dead) were changed for... £550!!

This is good to know. I'll be needing this in 3 years or so. I know these things get a bad rep but if they're driven properly you probably break even with a non-DPF car, and stay on the right side of the emissions rules!

This is good to know. I'll be needing this in 3 years or so. I know these things get a bad rep but if they're driven properly you probably break even with a non-DPF car, and stay on the right side of the emissions rules!

Well, using Honest John's real MPG for a 1.6 focus and the price of fuel round my area, i'll save about £580 on fuel and nearly £100 on tax this year, so i'm still up. I've also had one other repair which was the alternater, which is not specific to the diesel anyway. Given that a similar specced focus but in a petrol would only be about £700 cheaper to buy according to Parkers guide price, it'll take quite some repair bill to make a petrol cheaper.

Over three years, (not including repairs, or insurance which varies each year, but including the purchase price) I will have saved £1400. Thats still £850 after the repair, and thats even assuming the petrol never needs any work done.

The only other non-dpf option would be the 1.8 tdci, which I admit would probably be cheaper, however that wont be an option in the future when all diesels have DPFs.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my choice of engine :).

Mine, which is a 2008 (58) 1.6 TDCi, does of course have a DPF, and is £30/year tax. The Ford Etis website classifies mine as "Stage IV + DPF Emissions". Can't check his as it doesn't appear on Etis unless you use the VIN.

Edit: Just found out (*): "Also, cars produced on or after 1st January 2007 must be Euro IV compliant[...]", so that explains it. I guess any 1.6 TDCi Focus after 01/01/07 will definitely have a DPF, before then, only the "Euro 4" ones will.

I've got a 90bhp 2008 and it has no DPF. Only way to be sure is check the VIN plate on the driver's side.

Always forget about the 90 bhp models! Pretty sure all the 110s do, unless someone knows better?