Show
Photo

Changing Fuel Filter On A Focus 1.6 Tdci... Bleeding?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Name: graham
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.6TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

My filter needs doing and I'd rather do it myself, but I've heard from a few in the garage trade that it can be a nightmare getting it bled afterwards and restarted, as there is no built in hand bleeding pump. Ford tend to use a handheld air-driven primer AFAIK, and I've heard of some garages reduced to trying to tow start after a filter change. 

I've also heard you can prime it by switching the ignition on to II and off 7 or 8 times without starting, to prime using the fuel pump. Has anyone tried this method with any success?? Don't want a non-starter on my drive.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,686 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

The best option is still to use a priming pump/bulb on the outlet side of the filter.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item439d501623

Also make sure the filter/housing is filled with fuel before reassembly so you have a head start on the priming.

TBH, I don't know why Ford didn't fit the filter housing with an integral priming bulb, many other car manufacturers do and it makes them far easier to get going after a filter change or if you run out of fuel..

#3 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Name: graham
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.6TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for that, I had considered getting one of those. My Renault DCi has got one built in and I changed the fuel filter on that no problem. Have you actually used one of these on a 1.6TDCi with success? What happens when you come to removing the pump, isn't diesel going to go everywhere? And any idea for what to plug the fuel lines with, or will clamps work?  Thanks!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users