• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi

Bit of a boring subject , just would like some help on a new set of tyres for my focus mk2.5. (16" alloys)

Need a set for the front but not sure what to get , My front set are what was on it when I got the car (think they are michelin) , I got some new rear tyres last year called Uniroyal rain expert.

I'm not to fussed about getting the same brand and type as it can be hard to keep all four tyres the same.

I'm also wondering if I should put the new tyres on the front or rear?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 frostman83

frostman83

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I take it there budget on the back? If you can afford it get decent tires. Ie Michelin , Goodyear , Dunlop ect. I'd avoid budget tires at all costs although sometimes financially this is hard.

#3 rnem_uk

rnem_uk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I get mine done in CostCo and they always put new tyres on the rear.  It's a safety thing.

If you get decent tyres, they'll last ages.   I got about 25-30k out of a set of Michelins.

#4 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

if your rears are new and your fronts are old, Put your rears on to the front, then buy 2 new tyres for the rear. Tyre rotation.

I just bought two new bridgestones, with fitting, balancing and tracking done for £120...they were 205/55/r16

try www.blackcircles.com - i always use them to find cheap tyres and fitters etc.

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,877 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

I recommend Avon ZZ3, excellent grip and wear.
Had a set on for 6 months and 10k and still look brand new.

#6 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm in the Michelin camp I'm afraid. Came fitted with the car new, have great grip and wear excellently.

Budget brands are hit and miss most of the time. That said there are a few that are cheaper options but made by big manufacturers, there's one brand made by Continental, but I can't remember off the too if my head.

I was always of the opinion new tyres go on the front, but I think it was here that I learnt that isn't the best plan for a front wheel drive car. The factors of how easy to control under steer and over steer come into play.

Just remember, at the end of the day, your tyres maybe a costly investment, but you're buying faith that the brand has spent money on the compound and design to make them safe when driving in extreme conditions.

#7 frostman83

frostman83

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yeah agree with what Andy says. I have mitchlins on my rear wheels and IMO I think they are the ones I'd go for again after having dunlops on the front.

#8 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi guys

thanks for the replys , I think some of you get the impression my rear tyres are budget tyres , Uniroyal are actually a very good tyre , think there made by one of the well known tyre company's, the only thing I dont like about them is the side wall seems soft.

I may have a look at some Michelins , is there any that you would reccomend from Michelin?

thanks again

#9 Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Tdci Titanium
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Put the new tyres on the rear; why ?

FWD - Once the rear-end lets go you've got very little time or options to correct it, but if it's gone too far then not even Fangio would get it back.

If the front-end understeers then you can lift off a bit and it should point back towards the correct direction.

RWD - You've the got the option of some power induced correction plus a bit of corrective oposite lock to get it pointed back in the right direction.

Either way having the best tyres on the rear gives the best chance of keeping the car pointed in the right direction.

I'm sure Stoney would agree that don't go practising on public roads; keep that for a skidpan or track day.

#10 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

In a FWD car the front tyres do a lot more work than the rears, so put your best tyres on the front.

In your case put your new tyres on the front, and leave the existing tyres on the rear - if they are a year old they'll still have around 6mm tread remaining (of the original 8mm).

For a good deal try National Tyres on eBay - yes really!!
National Tyres have a 'store' on eBay, where you can buy tyres as singles, pairs, or sets of 4. It's searchable by size, brand, price etc just like their main website - and all prices include fitting, balancing and new valves etc at your local National branch, and you just book an appointment.

But the difference is that it's 10-20% cheaper than their main website, and when I got new tyres last year it was actually about 5% cheaper than BlackCircles and MyTyres for the same product - plus I have a branch two streets away so it was dead convenient.

* I do not work for National Tyres or eBay.

#11 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

been looking at Michelin primacy 3 which looks good in dry and wet conditions , I may put them on the front and keep my older set on the rear as like the above said there only a year old.

#12 rnem_uk

rnem_uk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Year: 2013

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Here's a good video which explains the reasoning for rear fit..

#13 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

rear it is then , As I would want to change the uni royals next ,so putting them on the front will wear them out quicker

#14 frostman83

frostman83

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

They would put I'd put the new ones on the front.

#15 jimrex

jimrex

• FOC Supporters
  • 533 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: 2011 Mk3 Focus, 2009 Mk7 Fiesta
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I had Michelins from when the car was new and they were fantastic, got about 23k miles out of them which is good for me as I don't take roundabouts as slow as I could! Also had a blow out on one of the back ones due to a six inch bolt...

I now have Good Year Eagle NCT 5's  which don't seem quite as grippy as the Michelins in the wet when you're pushing on, but are still pretty decent. I am also reliably informed that the moulds for Good Year tyres come from the more expensive brands like Michelin or Bridgestone when they replace a tyre range.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users