Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk6 1.3 Petrol
  • Year: 2003
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Right I've finally decided to take the plunge and I've decided im going to fit HIDs. Can anyone recommend a decent h1 6000k kit? I dont mind about the price I'd rather pay extra for a decent set. Also anyone fitted them?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Dal.

Dal.

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST225

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Recommendation? Yeah, don't as you'll dazzle everyone unless you get projector lamps...

:lol:

#3 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

be aware when hid kits are fitted, they need approved hid lenses, which basicly means you'll need complete lamps...laws getting tougher on this, mot garages are on lookout for hid conversions with standered lenses..it will fail if so.

#4 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,422 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

http://www.hids-dire...conversion-kit/

That's the kit I have, just you'll need to message them for the bulbs designed for reflectors or you'll blind everything in sight.

Anyone know if there's any issue with HID sidelights? Lol.

#5 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I didnt ask for a lecture lol ive got self levelling projector headlights and will be fitting headlamps washers aswel and regularly makijg sure they are properly aligned. Im fully aware of the does n donts with them. Im driving a fiesta not a 4x4 where the lights point right in your eyes lol

#6 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

To be honest its about time they come out with proper rules and regulations regarding HIDs instead of having this grey area. If they came out with a specific standard and specification that HIDs would have to me to be classed as road legal then aftermarket manufacturers could design conversion kits that include everything you need to legally install them from headlamp washers to lenses etc. They're causing more problems and encouraging more people to fit them illegally by saying you cant do it and if you do it its kindve legal if you do it this way but its a grey area etc

#7 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

which is why VOSA have brought in new legislation this year, hid's must have approved hid lenses.

hid bulbs on halogen lenses distort the pattern, hence why people get blinded by them.
personally, think they should be banned unless they came out of the factory like it...why anyone needs them in built up areas is beyond me, better route would be if they produced hid driving lamps,so you have an option of only sparking them up when needed...

consider yourself lectured ;)

#8 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

I personally think they should be legalized as long as theyre fitted correctly. If people know its possible to fit them properly and not be penalized for it then they'd do it properly

#9 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

thats fine, but to do it properly needs eec approved lenses, halogen lenses are the problem...its one of those vosa regs that will take a while to sink in, end of the day, its down to mot testers to enforce it

#10 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

The main problem is when people fit them to reflector units and landrovers. They should be banned from having them full stop. Even when theyre manufacturer fitted to landrovers they blind you. I've never once been blinded by HID's fitted to projector units

#11 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

like i said its one of those leg's that some garages will pick up, others will turn a blind eye...no pun intended ;)
typical vosa pithing about really, as testers arent allowed to remove anything for proper inspection etc, but part of the new directive is about the wiring as much as the bulb set up etc...how can they do that if they are not allowed to strip and inspect???
bit like you could have 1 wheel nut holding on a wheel, if you have a hub cap fitted, then tester isnt allowed to remove it, if there is no movement in the wheel then this will pass a test...couple miles down the road your wheel falls off....go figure???
extreme example, but dont see how a tester can fail a badly set up conversion if all he can really test is pattern, security and min brightness
the other classic vosa update is if an ecu has been chipped???
[by the way, when i said eec, should have read ece}

#12 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Right in an attempt to keep everyone happy can anyone point me in the direction of proper ece approve projector lenses/conversion kit that I can replace my existing projector lenses with?

#13 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

mate, dont get me wrong, just giving you heads up on hid's without approved hid lenses...
untill the aftermarket [such as bosch/hella etc...none of which have) come out with independently ece approved e marked hid lenses/lamps then strictly speaking hid is illegal...both from the law and vosa point.
just saying, crack on, but you might come unstuck at mot not to mention a keen eyed bobby.

#14 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ive got about 3 sets of headlights lol come MOT time will be having a wee switcharoo :lol:

#15 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

dont mistake this for a dig at you or anyone gone/going down this route...but here is a link that explains the problems far better than i could....well worth a read

http://www.danielste...onversions.html

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users