Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Not Starting...

Thewhiterasta

Hi my girlfriends focus won't start. It's a 2001 1.4 zetec. I've checked for a spark, there is a spark. So I checked the fuel pump there is 12v going to it but I can't hear the pump working, is the pump audible on this focus? I disconnected the fuel pipe going to the common rail and cranked the engine no petrol came out, I'm under the impression that if there is no blockage and the pump was operating the petrol should be gushing out of the pipe when I crank the engine yes? Cheers

Possibly is the pump my mate had the same problem a few month ago if you have power to the pump and its not pumping i think youve found the problem not reall a job you can do on your back under the car either as the tank has to be dropped and there is no accesss panel under the rear seat to take it out unless your brave enough like some i,ve seen on youtube where they make there own (not reccomended) .pumps are about £90 i think then of course labour to put it in .

I would do the same but on either side of the fuel filter (I think this is underneath the car).

If there's pressure before, but not after, blocked filter, if there's no flow at all, fuel pump.

I only know from mk2 Mondeos but is the fuel sender/ pump under the rear bench? If its like a Mondeo, get a screw driver and hammer and bash the castellated but anti-clockwise and pull out the sender/pump.

Andy the only prob he will find with what you say about hitting the castellated is theres no access panel under the seat unless he makes his own there are guides on this on youtube personally i wouldnt be brave enough to butcher my car lol but i suppose depends on how tight cash is and if you think yoy can a neat job of it my mate did his on a ramp and said it was a bit of a pain specially as he had a full tank as well .

The hole under the seat isn't big enough to get the pump that way. I will check the filter when it stops snowing looks like its going to be a full tank out job. I will have to do it on my back with the axle stands too, done the clutch on my French car that way how much harder can the fuel tank be? Famous last words. Cheers

take look at these but this one doesnt show cutting the hole under the rear seat cant find that one at the mo .

It always runs on fumes, it has about 5 leters in MAX I'm hoping it's the filter.

Sorry fella, was hoping Ford would've used sense across the board. Although a pump isn't a serviceable item, access to it is never a bad idea.

Best of luck, post back how you get on.

Ok so got the fuel filter off its not blocked. I left the output pipe for the pump dangling, cranked the car, no fuel came out at all. So I looks like its definitely the fuel pump. It's to wet to work on it today.

Ah balls!

Looks like its the pump then. If you wanted to fully cover the bases and make sure 100%, hook up a 12v supply to the pump terminals. This will rule out any chance that the plug may not be making contact, although I guess it will still not work, it'd be nice to know before removing the whole tank to find it is alright.

Silly question but have you checked the fuel pump cut out switch in the drivers right side kick panel?

They can trigger sometimes with a badly placed heel hit to the panel.

Hi thanks for the help its sorted now. The plug going to the actual pump inside the tank had MELTED and BURNT! You know like what happens to headlights sometimes, the fuse didn't even go. I got a replacement pump from a friend for next to nothing. The job was a lot easier than I though it would be only took a couple of hours to remove and refit on my own with axle stands when I got a good day.

Good result indeed.

I'd check the fuse rating for the fuel pump then just in case it's the wrong one.

• Like 1

+1 for checking the fuse rating!

not really the place i would want wiring to melt and potentially cause a fire...

What number is it? I dont have the book with me. Cheers

Fuse should be number F12 in the engine bay panel and a 15A rating.

The fuse in now is a 10 amp. Cheers

Keep us posted as to any further occurrences.

Hopefully you're sorted for now.

Fuel pump wiring shouldnt melt thats a serious issue needing looked at there

most probably caused by poor connection at plug, poor connection will create heat, making connection worse, making more heat etc etc...

just make sure all connections are clean and tight, may also find the wiring leading to the plug has blackened too....might pay to strip back insulation till you get clean copper, cut away anything looking slightly blackened, then solder a new length of wiring/plug in...

I agree with the above but the fuse should have blown its a fuel pump in petrol quite a scary thought

fuse wouldnt come into it unless wires shorted across, sounds a simple case of localised overheating due to poor connection.