Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,560 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

It is classed as an offence but is very rarely prosecuted apart from by very over-zealous traffic officers.
It's basically one of those little laws that sit around gathering dust.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Fastfordman

Fastfordman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Volvo V40 D4 SE
  • Year: 2013

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

That's another one that winds me up! Those who think they can drove around with their plates totally obscured with dirt!

I've had to clean my plates and lights every other day this week. I have always been of the opinion if you make sure your car looks like you've looked after it the police will pull someone else who stands out with mucky plates etc. Not that I'd do anything wrong anyway,but why make myself an obvious choice to stop and check.

I am forever telling our drivers at work to clean the lorry lights/plates and they only moan but it will be mucky again soon.

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,560 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

If I see a vehicle with filthy plates then I will pull them, makes me curious as to why the plate is left so dirty.

We have ANPR on our cars and at various places around Plymouth, plus average/gatso speed cameras plus bus lane/red light ones too.

As far as I'm concerned they may be trying to avoid them.

#19 Alexm

Alexm

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2007 tdci Zetec climate

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

I do a check over every day, being a HGV driver makes sure of that. Although my main concern is tyres

Keeping records recently attributed to me winning a case in court, a top barrister grilled the crap out of me, accusing me of having a faulty works vehicle or driving like an idiot, when his client (who was uninsured) rear ended me whilst I was stationary at traffic lights ! It soon shot him down when I said I have records of daily vehicle checks and when asked how I do the brake lights, used shop window reflections!

#20 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Ive not washed my car for the past 3 month or so, covered in salt....the plates and lights are still very visible mind.
We are quite lucky up my way darlington police and durham dont believe in speed or red light cameras, though they have anpr everywhere to catch the avoiders of paying certain things. Another good thing is they pull random cars and set up check points to cath drunk drivers.

Ive been in one of these checkpoints and soon as i showed them my licence and said i just finished work driving buses they let me go without blowing into the tester. Must have been something to do with still wearing the uniform.

Anyways btt my major gripe is blown bulbs people on the a1(m) with a head light missing or as ive seen recently a lorry with no rear lights and no rear markers!!!

#21 James ADI

James ADI

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 2013 zetec 1.6 dtci ECOnetic
  • Year: 2013

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm lucky as an instructor I get my students to do tyres and lights, opening the bonnet is part of the test so they check the levels (not oil as too hot) as well.

Good to get in the habit of doing a visual check on the rubber each time you approach your car as you have the oppotunity of sorting out the flat while still in your driveway.

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Im not very good at checking before every journey, I keep a regular eye on them (once a week or so) but a lot I do every other week, or even once a month. Bulbs are my most regular check, I keep spares in the car, but replaced them all with LED's so that shouldnt be a problem now!

As for the tyres, I keep an eye on the pressure mainly by sight to tell me if I need to check with a device. Its never failed me yet and when I check I tend to have lost two or three PSI.

Oil level, I check the floor around my car now and then, if there is any gunk on the floor or under the hood, I check, but I have yet to run on less than half the dipstick markings :)

Most of checking your car is common sense. I know the police do as a matter of course check thoroughly before every drive, however I dont think its necessary for your everyday driver to do the same.

#23 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,560 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

I have to check mine, make sure it's clean and fuelled up and then sign off on it as fit for duty.
Luckily only I drive my wagon so no nasty surprises ever await me. (rotten cans of meat paste under seats or such goodies left by some other nice officers used to be the standard jape in shared vehicles)

#24 Alexm

Alexm

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2007 tdci Zetec climate

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Suprising how there's bad apples in every game though, I've seen some one-eyed vans and filthy focus policr cars in Hampshire

#25 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,560 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's all about pride in appearance.
My work car is washed off defore every duty and any crap dug out.
Can't stand a manky wagon.
Fair enough it smells of musty dogs and farts but nobodys perfect :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users