Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Puncture

APJ

Bit of a dilemma here guys....bought two new top end front tyres (goodyear eagles) in November and they have been ace..

walked out to my car yesterday and noticed the front right tyre was nearly flat...inspected it and noticed a !Removed! great nail sticking out:-(

I took it to my nearest tyre place and he said it needs changing...i explained that it was pretty much a new tyre and asked if there was anything they could do..for a tenner he agreed to plug it/repair it. Will post a pic of it shortly.

So what do i do...carry on using the tyre and checking the pressure to see if keeps going down?

Once a tyre is repaired should it last a decent amount of time?

I dont really wana buy a new tyre to replace it cos then one tyre on the front will be 5 months old and the other would be brand new so would get an uneven wear.

Or do i just have to bite the bullet and get it sorted asap?

I have just had one of mine repaired as well will be interested to see what people say

There is no reason why a good repair shouldn't last the life of the tyre. It all depends on the size and location of the puncture. As a general rule, most company's will say a puncture can be repaired as long as it is within the inside 3 quarters of the tyre. Anything further out either way and they will advise you it needs replacing... Personally I would pester them if it was a little past the 'allowed' markings,,, this could save you a coslty new tyre. Had many repairs in the past, and never had a problem with any of them.

• Like 1

If the tyre is repaired within the allowed area then it should last the life of the tyre.

• Like 1

Exactly right, depends on size and position.

Any damage to the side wall and the tyre must be replaced.

• Like 1

The Reason for not repairing them on the last 3mm or near the edge of the tyre is when the tyre is squidged about and around corners it could pop the repair out and then your back to square one.

Jamie

• Like 1

Have tried attaching pic of tyre and location of puncture [see below]. I think it's outside the area that considered safe to repair:-(

Obviously I'm being very careful with the car and not driving or cornering hard. But am due to be driving from Southampton to Edinburgh in the summer. Wouldn't be confident doing that with this issue.

If I get a new tyre to replace it will the fact that on the front I'd then have one brand new tyre and one that is 5 months old..would this cause the car to pull to one side/have tracking issues or would I not notice any difference?

post-16403-0-53254700-1364478700_thumb.j

• Like 2

Oh god yes, replace that tyre.

Surprised the fitter even entertained the notion.

it looks like he used two plugs on that, not safe for high speed use mate.

Out of interest, what tyre place did it? if qwik-fit then they should know better, if an independent then don't use them again.

• Like 1

As an ex-tyre fitter I can say that should never have been repaired.

Here's why :-

1. The penetration is right on the edge of the shoulder.
  2. You can see a clear distortion of the ring just below the edge of the tread blocks.
  3. The tyre has clearly been run at a reduced pressure; the partial errasure of the R and surrounding pattern

I'm not exaggerating, but you're risking your life if you continue to use that tyre at any speed.

Please get it changed A.S.A.P.

• Like 1

Right, that has confirmed it for me...definatly getting it changed. It was an Asda tyre centre...dont usually use them..but they were the nearest place. Also the first thing he said when he looked at it was 'you need a new tyre'. They didnt have the tyre in stock that i wanted so i said 'is there no way it can be repaired'........and he replied 'well we can patch it up but you'll have to keep a close eye on it'. At the time i was just so gutted as its pretty much a brand new tyre...

But safety comes first and i will get it changed hopefully this weekend. And between now and then i wont do over 40mph..and will be extremely careful. Infact after today i dont think im gona use the car at all..will use my girlfriends motor

so....my next dilema is do i literally just get a straight swap?......what about the other front tyre being 5 months old....or would it be ok?

• Like 1

p.s Captin Haddock what do you mean by 'you can see that the tyre has been run at a reduced pressure'?

Ideally you should have 4 matched tyres, the same make, all with lots of tread on them,

As you have a FWD car you will wear out your fronts faster, you may wear out 2 sets of fronts, for every set of rears,(depending on driving style/ condittions etc) this means you should rotate your tyres (pereodically swap fronts/ rears etc)

Debateably you should put the best pair of tyres on the rear, this makes the car more stable and less likely to oversteer / liftoff oversteer, which can be difficult to control

Tyres are expensive, especially premium brands, but it can save you money in the long run by potentially preventing accidents that would cost a lot of money, time, hassle and more - the 4 little contact patches are the only thing between you and the road

If you can buy 2 new tyres and put them on the back, then put the second best 2 on the front, if you can get a 5th matching wheel for your spare, (you could probably pick one up S/H online)

A spacesaver is dangerous IMO and you are better with a full size spare (and if it matches your other wheels you can "rotate" it too) - its important that the spare is legal and does not have a slow (or fast!) puncture, so its not flat when you need it

Shame about your tyre - best to ditch it ASAP

Its not the age of the tyre - its ho much tread thats on it, if one tyre has 5+ mm on it it should be ok to pair it up (front-front, or rear/ rear) with a now one (usually 8mm tread) but ideally 2 new tyres are better,

Although 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tread is the legal minimum, better changing them before that if you can

• Like 1

duff tyre

Apologies for the slightly shaky hand drawn lines.
If the tyre has been rubbed along the kerb then the major rubbing wear would follow the red line as that is the proudest (i.e. greatest protuding) part of the sidewall radius.
If the tyre has been run at a low enough pressure then the major rubbing wear would follow the green line as this would be where the sidewall would tend fold and rub against itself or in the case of almost complete deflation where the sidewall effectively becomes part of the tread (i.e. it actually rubs on the road surface).
Depending upon velocity/load then you can quite easily wreck a tyre in as little as 100m when the pressure drops enough so that the sidewall is no longer creating proper vertical support.

You've doubtless seen large (sometimes complete rings) sections of tyre tread lying at the side of the motorway. Contrary to popular belief they're not all "cheap/dodgy remoulds", but are usually a result of the tyre getting too hot by being run in fully/partially deflated condition and the tyre's internal structure degrades to such an extent that it delaminates.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

id definately get that replaced unfortunately i also had a nail after just a few weeks after getting new tyres:

nGme3wA.jpg

mine was alright to get patched

• Like 1

^^ yours was in a safe place to get patched though, the OPs was'nt, (most tyre places would not have fixed his, IMO)

• Like 1

I had a piece of metal go through to the core on a front tyre earlier this year, as the other side still had plenty of tread on just swapped one and I've had no problem.

If the tyre is repaired within the allowed area then it should last the life of the tyre.

Go along with the above, only issues with repairs are poor workmanship, as an aside it is not recommended to have the same tyre repairied more than twice, escecially if they are in the same area...not like a cat with nine lives

• Like 1

FOCA - thanks for the advice, if money wasnt an issue I'd be buying two new tyres for the back and one to replace the punctured one but can only just about afford one let alone three. As I am quite a careful driver my rear tyres are still in very good condition and I won't need to change them until either the end of this year or early next year. So I think I'm just going to replace the f*cked tyre.

Captin Haddock- totally understand what you mean now after having a good look at the tyre, has a worn ring all the way around it..probably from me driving it the 4 or so miles to the repair place when it was almost flat.

Fastfordman - cheers for that mate...yeah I'm confident that a straight swap will be fine as my other front tyre is in ace condition.

I phoned Micheldever Tyres after work (probably the best tyre centre in southern England) and spoke to one of their advisors and he said a straight swap should be fine. Am sticking with Goodyear Eagles as I've found them to be the best gripping hardest wearing tyres for my focus....unless you hit a !Removed! great nail! Am getting the tyre changed first thing tomo morning:-) and the Goodyear Eagle has just dropped from £137 to £120:-)

Cheers for all your help guys..I could of ended up in a hedge or worse if it wasnt for your advice!

P.s will let you all know how I get on at Micheldever tomo

• Like 1

I had both rear tyres punctured by self tapping roofing screws a couple of years back, you could put your pinky finger in the holes they left.

Luckily the tyres were close to replacement time anyway.

• Like 1

As an ex-tyre fitter I can say that should never have been repaired.

Here's why :-

1. The penetration is right on the edge of the shoulder.
  2. You can see a clear distortion of the ring just below the edge of the tread blocks.
  3. The tyre has clearly been run at a reduced pressure; the partial errasure of the R and surrounding pattern

I'm not exaggerating, but you're risking your life if you continue to use that tyre at any speed.

Please get it changed A.S.A.P.

Totally agree....In actual fact I believe it is illegal to repair that tyre

• Like 1

I can see an easy way to get a free tyre here... Plenty of evidence that someone is repairing cars in such a way they are not road worthy...

• Like 1

The fitter should have refused any coercion to repair that tyre.

Would he have been so happy if it was his car or if a crash occurred and the tyre was deemed lo be a major contributing factor?

Qwik-fit may be crap but even they wouldn't have repaired that.

• Like 1

The fitter should have refused any coercion to repair that tyre.

Would he have been so happy if it was his car or if a crash occurred and the tyre was deemed lo be a major contributing factor?

Qwik-fit may be crap but even they wouldn't have repaired that.

I am very picky of where I take my cars for tyres, tracking or mot but a question I have asked a few times in the past before errupting is 'would you be happy with that if it was your car?' Normally followed by a funny look and, 'ok we will get it back on the ramps for a look!'

Why not just do it right in the first place as save the hassle!!

• Like 1

Right, got my tyre replaced by Micheldever Tyres on Friday morning first thing, the guys there agreed with everything that's been said here..should never of let me drive away with that kind of repair. They did ask me for the name of the centre that did the repair as I think they have a black book of dodgy tyre repair centres! I got another Goodyear Eagle and I got the tracking done was about £140 in total.

Thanks for all your help on here guys, otherwise I could still be driving around on that tyre.

Heres the new tyre:-) Just need to get my alloys refurbished now!

post-16403-0-29400800-1364724987_thumb.j

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club