#16 profisheruk

profisheruk

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: john
  • Ford Model: focus zetec 1.8i mk2.5
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

you can get your key at any timpsons store. a plain key costs around £40 . dont know if inverness has a store but stirling has one if your going south!!

the only thing is timpsons only clone the key i.e coppy security code from your other key. so if someone has your lost key they can still steal your car.

i got a locksmith in stirling to cut a key (plain) and he re-coded my old key and new key and deleted all the old codes for £40

he is mobile so you could phone him and meet up with him if your in the stirling area ( google keyman stirling )

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for that. Funny thing , I get two replies on the same day we're going South  :)

I take it by re-coding you mean the imobilser bit?  :unsure:

I'm not too worried about the stealing cars bit as car crime up here isn't too serious.

Thanks for the reply, must go and catch a boat now. Cheers.

#18 profisheruk

profisheruk

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: john
  • Ford Model: focus zetec 1.8i mk2.5
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

just noticed your location is the orkney !!!!! think your car will be safe there lol

#19 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Well, back safe and well albeit with a battered credit card!  :rolleyes:  :)

Well impressed with the Focus. Comfortable and fairly economical. We managed an average of nearly 42 mpg over the 5 days which included the approx 120 mile drive each way and then a couple of days scooting around Inverness. Not bad for 2 adults and 3 boys in the back along with a full boot on the way home. Even got the 'Average MPG' up to 45 at one stage on the way home  :afro:

Thanks to FOCA I found the key cutter in the Victorian Market. He wanted £56 to get a plain replacement key cut, I thought(wrongly obviously) that you could get replacement remote keys. I told him I would think about it and went to Timpsons around the corner. He told me he could do a key for £35 but he didn't have any in stock  :rolleyes: but to try the other Timpsons in the Eastgate Centre. They had ones in stock but he asked me if I had tried unlocking the door just by using the key ie NOT by remote. I said that I hadn't to which he replied "Go and give it a try, if the alarm sounds when you open the door using the key I can't make a copy!" So I went away and tried it and guess what? Alarm sounded! So still no spare key! 

So the next plan of attack? In May, Mrs Turvey and I are flying down to Glasgow for a gig, Thunder, Whitesnake and Journey if you're interested. Hopefully I'll find someone who can do it there. The only thing I'm wary of is getting a key done down there and not being able to test it right away and flying home and finding it doesn't work or even worse finding out that the original key has somehow been disabled. Don't know if it's possible to do but if it is, believe me it'll happen to me  :D

#20 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,997 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Buy a new complete key off eBay, call a local Auto Locksmith and they'll cut and code the key with no problems.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

#21 b4zz

b4zz

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Name: Barry
  • Ford Model: facelift focus zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

hello and welcome hope you got deep pockets lol

#22 SeanW

SeanW

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 440 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

My wish list is already more than a months pay...only really been reading these here forums foe a few weeks lol

#23 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Buy a new complete key off eBay, call a local Auto Locksmith and they'll cut and code the key with no problems.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for the link  ;)

One thing bothers me though, the whole 'unlocking with just the key and the alarm going off' thing  :unsure: Would a 'proper' auto-locksmith be able to overcome this? And as far as I know my nearest 'local' auto-locksmith is at least 100 miles and a boat journey away.

You do realise you'll get bored of me asking all these silly noob questions don't you?  :)

hello and welcome hope you got deep pockets lol

Deep pockets but short arms! Typical Scotsman before anyone else says it  :)  :)  :)

My wish list is already more than a months pay...only really been reading these here forums foe a few weeks lol

You and me both pal  :rolleyes: Think this forum should come with a hwealth warning!  :)

#24 SeanW

SeanW

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 440 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Definitely!!

Lenny: you're the main cause with your big ol' list of mods (I'm not complaining really lol)

#25 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,997 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

The alarm going off when unlocking the car with a non remote key is a security feature to ensure that someone isn't just using a lock picker or just a key blade.
Because the remote key has already interfaced with the car by sending the unlock signal the car is happy that you're allowed to enter theacar.
The alarm system with a non remote key asks for verification via the pats immobiliser using the immobiliser chip in the key fob.
As far as I can tell from talking to my mate who is a Ford contracted/authorised auto locksmith, that requirement is hard coded into the system to avoid spoofing or bypass.

#26 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Ah! That makes sense now  ;)

*****Started typing this an hour ago and one of our kids decided to be sick in his bed!!! Dontcha just love the smell of Dettol?  :rolleyes: *****

Last question from me on this subject, I take it a decent auto-locksmith can program the remote bit quite easily? 

I think I'm going to leave it just now until we're next down Glasgow/Edinburgh way with the car and get it done right. Just hope we dont lose the key before that!!! 

#27 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,997 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

An auto locksmith will be able to programme the key directly through the data port using an IDS pad. 

Takes minutes.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users