Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Streaky/blank Central Display

Lincoln

The centre display (the one with the Odometer/messages) on my recently purchased s/h S-Max sometimes gets vertical streaks which seem to disappear as the car warms up. One particularly cold morning it was completely blank for a while.

Does it need replacement and if so is this a possible DIY job?

Thanks,

Lincoln

Certainly sounds like the screen might be abit dodgy. Make sure the connector plug for it is properly pushed in etc possible loose connection?

Sounds like the dash needs to come off.

Sorry to sound ignorant but where do I go to find out how to do that? Is there a good aftermarket service manual?

The screen on my focus gets a bit slow to change over when scrolling through in cold weather.

Sounds like the dash needs to come off.

Sorry to sound ignorant but where do I go to find out how to do that? Is there a good aftermarket service manual?

There is no service manual I'm afraid, but there are a lot of very good guides and info on the smax owners club forum if you pay the £10 subscription.

The dash cluster is just push fit with two torx screws at the lower part of the cluster.

Undo the screws then it levers out with the help of a flat butter knife - but be careful as in the top-centre there is a spring clip which is easily damaged if you don't get the lever in the right spot.

if bought from a dealer then take it back to them.

Thanks for the above. I have Autoguard warranty (supplied when I bought it for 1 year) but wouldn't mind having a go myself if it's relatively easy because if it's just a bad connector/dry joint on pcb I'd rather try and resolder than use up what would probably be a few hundred pounds worth of replacement work.

However a (non-Ford) garage told me the dash panel can be coded and may fail to work if removed and replaced. Can I assume he was being over-cautious and that this isn't the case?

Yes the cluster is coded to the car, but removing & refitting the same cluster won't cause you any issues.

It's only if you fit a different cluster that you may run into difficulties.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club