Josh2092

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Josh
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi there,

I'm new to this website and signed up as i'm having a problem with my Fiesta Zetec and wondered if anyone could possibly help me out!

Basically this has only started happening in the last 2 weeks or so. I had problems trying to start my Zetec a couple of Sundays ago, almost as if the engine didn't want to start. When i finally got the car going the rev counter was going crazy and I had to rev the engine to keep the engine going otherwise it would cut out. I finally managed to get it started after 3 attempts and it was absolutely fine afterwards.

However the Tuesday after, I was driving along and the car cut out, the steering went very heavy and the engine light came on but only for a second or two and then went back to normal before I could even react. I was at this point going down a hill whist braking around a corner.

It's been absolutely fine since then until today when I was going down a pretty steep hill. I stopped at the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill and when i stopped, the car completely cut out. The engine and battery light came on and I had to turn the key to start the engine again. When I did, the engine started fine and I was able to travel home (thank god!)

Does anyone know what this could be as i'm very concerned this could be a very costly problem. The car is absolutely fine to drive and is idling fine but this problem seems very intermittent and seems to only happen when slowing down on a hill!

Any help would be appreciated guys! 

Thanks

Josh 

Car Details: Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec [Climate] 2008

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,374 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'd suspect the idle air control valve (IAC).
Under idle conditions, a dirty or malfunctioning IAC will prevent air from passing through, which can cause sudden stalling under deceleration, rough idling and problems with getting the engine to catch on start up.

Related Symptoms

Stalls after start when engine is cold
Stalls after start when engine is hot
Stalling on deceleration
Stalls at idle
Unstable idle
Dieseling. (http://en.m.wikipedi.../wiki/Dieseling) or runs on after the engine is shut off
High idle
Low idle

#3 Josh2092

Josh2092

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Clive, I will get this checked out. Hopefully this solves then problem! 

#4 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,374 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Please keep us informed of the outcome.
It's nice to know if I've got it right. :)

#5 Josh2092

Josh2092

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Will do! ... Just got home from work and it did exactly the same thing on the way home but it's only on hills which is baffling. When decelerating everywhere else on a flat (i.e- traffic lights or stop junction) it's absolutely fine and idles fine.

Just seems to be when i'm going down a hill slowing down it completely stalls but i'm able to restart the engine again after coming to a stop with no further problems!

#6 emma1992

emma1992

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: emma
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

im having the exact same problem, my ford fiesta 1.25 zetec 2008 does the exact same. The car idles really badly and have cut out 3 times, which include heavy steering and warning lights, switch the car back on and works fine :/ please help

#7 madmax111

madmax111

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: scott
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec s
  • Year: 2001

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

the heavy steering is due to loss of pump assistance when the engine dies i would agree check the IAC valve.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users