Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical Issues With Ford Focus And Radio Issues

Debbie Thomas

Have had my focus style 1.6 petrol for nearly 2 years now, 58 plate with 60k on the clock. Lovely car but when I had it first the radio was playing up, it would go on when the car was off and locked up and when driving it would either switch on when it felt like an dnot let you turn it off or not come on and the face be totally black. Eventually ford said it was a faulty radio and replace dit as ut drained my battery. Whatever they did it has not worked, still have issues with raide, in fact its not come on at all in padt 2 months now and I went out to car a few days ago to find its dead, battery drained AGAIN. Taken it to be diangonsed AGAIN and AGAIN they say its a battery drain but they cant find where so now its had to go to an electrical auto place to be looked at. Its also had issues with other bits on the middle pannel and like the heaters and air con. I am sure there must be some electrical issue since I bought the car but paid £8,000 for it so I am obviously not too impressed but untill its fixed I cant get rid of it. I love the car but ist costing me way more than it should. Has anyone ever had any issues like this with the radio or electrical problems?

Hi and welcome to FOC. Please try not to post the same topic twice :) thanks. Its definately sounding like either faulty wiring to the stereo or maybe a software issue. Could you take a picture of your stereo?

On my old 2008 focus estate the radio would come on but frequently the screen would not come on for a few minutes.

Not an introduction so merged with duplicate post and moved to correct forum.

• Like 1

Sorry totally new and could not see where it had posted.

The other issues I had wa sthe heaters, the ford garage told me that was a wire so they replace dit. But seriously I have had constant issues and what annoys me is that ford replaced my radio when clearly this may not even be the issue as its not changed anything and just cost me to have to have anew battery and now go to yet another garage.

Not an introduction so merged with duplicate post and moved to correct forum.

I already merged it and hidden the duplicate post lol hadnt moved it to the focus section though :) cheers

Also at the moment I can not take a picture as its in the garage in Swindon. The sterios is off constantly and has not switched on in months. But what is draining the battery...its drained it twice in 2 years but I keep saying its got to be to do with radio as even after having a new one its still doing the same. Ford have not helped me at all though which is the hardest part as I am not a car person at all. Now its going to cost me loads I bet!

I already merged it and hidden the duplicate post lol hadnt moved it to the focus section though :) cheers

Welcome ;)

Sounds like a short somewhere, maybe a loose earth cable.

Why would a garage not pick up on it then if its coming up as just battery drain on the diagnostics?

If its not just affecting the stereo its sounding like a problem with either the wiring harness or the software in the car. Is it a ford dealership you've been taking the car to?

You'd think a garage would be able to detect a short especially if your having problems with a specific area of the car

You'd think a garage would be able to detect a short especially if your having problems with a specific area of the car

Yes its been in ford and iv told them so many times cuz it keeps going back. Now batt died they say even tho they put new radio in it worked when they fittedit. It did for a week n then exactly same started hapoening eventually leading to batt drain again. Now had to go to diff ford n they recon theycnt find elec faults so iv had to take it to an elec garage...total nightmare

Personally id contact ford directly not through the dealership your with and explain your ongoing problem over the last 2 years and just say you arent happy with the service you have recieved from the dealership youve been taking your car to, that you've paid out again and again and you're still getting the same fault and just generally express your unhappiness over the situation. Explain that you cant even sell the car due to the constant problems you're having so you're pretty much stuck with it and see what they can do for you

Ford Customer Relations number: 020 3564 4444

The first thing they should be checking is , the feeds to the radio and if power is there or drops off. This could be as simple as a loose connection in the fuse box , caused by being knocked at some point , easy way to check would be to drop the fuse box down and unplug all connections and the re-seat them , over time an arcing connection could have burnt out not letting any power through.

Wires could also have worn and be draining to earth this could be hard to find , but a decent auto electrian should be able to find this fault.

• 1 month later...

Has you car got keyless door entry, my focus has and I get a flat battery after about 6 days of not using it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club