Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Spare Wheel ??

PaulineTT33

Hello.

Can anyone please advise if Ford ever issued a GENUINE Space Saver Spare Wheel with any of their passenger cars?

When I say " genuine " I mean " genuine ", not a normal wheel of a smaller size than those fitted to the car.

Thank you Pauline.

• Like 1

Hello.

Can anyone please advise if Ford ever issued a GENUINE Space Saver Spare Wheel with any of their passenger cars?

When I say " genuine " I mean " genuine ", not a normal wheel of a smaller size than those fitted to the car.

Thank you Pauline.

Hi Pauline,

Welcome to the forum,

Ford do issue a full size spare wheel aswell as a foam space kit to raise the boot floor in order to house the full sized spare wheel. They don't supply it as default and is a special request costing around 280-300GBP for the full kit from ford.

I've never saw it in the fiesta but I had it fitted in my focus,

Consisted of:

Polystirene foam spacer kit (to raise boot floor around the tyre)

Different shape boot carpet to fit the raised shape

Full size 205/55/R16 spare wheel

Extended spare tyre bolt to secure spare in boot compartment.

IMG_20130110_160148.jpg

Image0995.jpg

Image0994.jpg

I've since removed this kit to save weight and increase MPG

I've now fitted the foam well filler from a Mk1 focus RS and purchased the foam kit aswell as AA Road side Membership, works out cheaper than carrying the full spare all of the time.

Plus the boot compartment is now bigger without the full sized spare kit fitted.

IMG_20130110_160242.jpg

IMG_20130110_154154.jpg

• Like 1

Hello.

Thank you Pauline.

Just to clarify, only a thinner, lighter spare (with a lower speed raiting) is called a "spacesaver" / "spacesaver spare wheel"

A full size spare wheel is simply called a "spare" / "spare wheel" it may be steel and different from the wheels fitted to the car, but not speed- limited

Many Ford passenger cars were fitted with spacesaver spare wheels (rather than a full size spare) as as standard

A Ford 5-stud spacesaver weighs 11kgs, a full- size 205/55/16 17.4kgs the 6.4kgs saving does not sound much but may be enough to improve the (official) MPG figures, which helps to sell cars, many manufacturers now supply their cars without spares at all (often just with a can of "tyreweld" and sometimes a compressor) this again saves weight and helps economy (and performance) figures, the market is very competitive and consumers may choose one car over another because of slightly better MPG / performance figures and if one manufacturer does these things others (eg Ford) have to follow suit

As Lenny has said, the slimmer spacesaver can also improve boot space

• Like 1

When I boought my Fiesta Zetec S in November it only had the foam tyreweld kit. A spare from Ford is £95 but only if ordered when you order the car. To buy one from the dealer was going to be over £200. Even he said get one from a scrappers. I got one off eBay for under £90, wheel, tyre, jack, and the polystyrene moulded fitting for it all.

Frankly the difference in MPG can't be that great and if you do have a puncture and use the tyreweld foam the tyre is often unrepairable so a new tyre would more than offset any savings. Also piece of mind that I can fit a spare, whereas the foam might not work depending on the damage to the tyre.

• Like 1

I had a full size tyre in my 04 fiesta, but not with the new model, shame I wish I would have took it out, don't even get wheel nut locks

• Like 1

Hello again.

I am now told ( on another forum ) that Mondeo's were once issued with a lightweight steel space saver

rim, fitted with a full size tire.

Does anyone remember these and if anyone still has one of these ( perhaps in the back of their garage ) I would be grateful to hear of it?

Thank you. Pauline.

• Like 1

Hello again.

I am now told ( on another forum ) that Mondeo's were once issued with a lightweight steel space saver

Does anyone remember these and if anyone still has one of these ( perhaps in the back of their garage ) I would be grateful to hear of it?

Thank you. Pauline.

Ford still stock a steel 5 spoke alloy shaped spare, much like the mercedez

If purchasing ensure it is a 4 hole hub fitting to suit your fiesta and not a 5 hole.

Ford still stock a steel 5 spoke alloy shaped spare, much like the mercedez

If purchasing ensure it is a 4 hole hub fitting to suit your fiesta and not a 5 hole.

How much are these if you know? Want some for winter tyres next year :P

Hello again.

Thank you. Pauline.

Yes, that was some mk3s (2000-2007) that was the 11kgs wheel tyre combination, the spacesaver is for "get you home" and speed ristricted, the Mk3 Mondeo has 5-studs,it does not have a full size tyre, it has a special spacesaver tyre with a high profile with a similar outside diameter to the full-size tyres

The Focus mk1 ST170 has 4-studs and was fitted with a spacesaver spare wheel/tyre

Have a look on eBay - there may be ones for sale there - the spacesaver is usually more expensive than a full size spare

Very many thanks to Lenny and FOCA for the replies.

Now I have something to go on and the years and car type to look for.

I may have seen one of these today on an accident damaged car. Looked like an " Artillery Wheel " had five studs

and the tire ( about 135 size in width ) was clearly marked as " Spare Tyre " in large lettering.

Many thanks again for all the replies, Pauline.

just to add, a full size spare is not speed restricted

A spacesaver is restricted to 80kph/ (50mph) if you are cought going over that, you will be charged the same as you would for going over a 50mph limit, even in a 70, (as far as i am aware) - there are experts on such things on this forum

Also, in my opinion a spacesaver is dangerous, especially in the wet

Personally if i had to carry a spare, it would be a full size one, as the 6.4kg difference is not worth it (full size = 17.4kgs spacesaver = 11kgs)

If you really want to save weight - don't carry a spare at all thus saving almost 20kgs (20 bags of sugar/ 30 litres of petrol = significant, especially on an 1100kg car ) on a full size spare jack/ brace, then you will notice the difference in traction, handling, acceleration and MPG

Its the drivers choice and a balance/ compromise - i don't carry a spare at all and only a floor pump and tyreweld in my lightened car, but i also have my family/ frends to help me and unlimited "get you home" insurance - and the car usually does not go very far these days- but if i was planning a long trip i might choose a full size spare over a spacesaver

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club