Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help On New Car Purchase Please

Bobbins

Hi all, I'm new on here but not to fords I've had a focus 1.8 tdi for the last ten years its now 13 years old with 120000 miles on the clock of which I've done 80000. It's been a fantastic car and very reliable never failing to start and still on original battery and heater plugs.

The reason for joining this forum is because the old beauty is starting to cost me money now which is understandable given her age and I've decided to get a new car.

Having spent the last three weeks researching and trawling the web for a suitable replacement ( Mpv,insignia and mini amongst the favourites ) I've decided on another focus due to the fact I know it's reliable and safe , but which one ,

Diesel ? Maybe

Petrol 1.6 I don't think so

Oh what about the 1 litre 125 petrol the missis said ?

When I finally picked myself up off the floor and plucked up the courage to ask her if she was serious she then bombarded me with all this info and to my surprise I'm quite taken on it !

So if anyone can shine a light in the right direction I will be very grateful indeed because the forums just make it harder to decide because of the differing mpg figures .

Thanks for listening bobbins

whatever you decide take the lowest figure qouted for the mpg and it will be around that mark 1.6 petrol you dont think so why its a good car with a good engine the 1.0 and all new ford engines are based on it

the insignia is a pile of junk theres two in my family and both relatives have had nothing but problems from the first week minis arent minis just bmws and they arent that reliable either depite what you may hear check any mini forum and they are over priced

given the price of diesel etc unless youre doing lots of miles many petrols will do the job pretty easily the 1.0 seems a popular choice though there are doubts on the engines longevity being so small and requiring decent revs, they are high revving engines

really its down to you none of us but heres a few notes to be aware of

07-08-11: Complaint of badly fitted nearside doors and DAB radio not staying on station.

29-1-2012: Complaint that stop/start function not working on 1.6 Ecoboost that regularly does 300 mile runs.

17-3-2012: One complaint of a sticking clutch pedal
on a 10,000 mile 2011 1.6TDCI. At first thought to be due to a faulty
return spring, but persisted so probably due to a lazy clutch slave
cylinder.

4-7-2012: Complaint of synchromesh failure on 5th gear of 6,000 mile 1.6 Ecoboost. At the time the parts to fix it were "on back order".

18-7-2012: Reports of 1.0 Ecoboost turbo failures
seem to be the result of owners switching the engines off when the
turbos are red hot. These turbos need to be idled for at least 20
seconds before switching off, and longer if the car has just completed a
long ascent or the engine has been revved hard.

21-7-2012: Report that ECU shuts down fuel injection of 2.0TDCI when clutch/DMF 'slip' is detected, preventing quick standing starts.

9-8-2012: 235x40 R18 tyres only last around 11,000 miles, front and back.

30-1-2013: Report of problems with 115PS 1.6 DV6C engine in Focus manifested in stuttering and hesitating. Fixed
by having 2 PCM updates and a replacement clutch master cylinder.
Apparewntly also occurs in same engine designated 'D2' in BVolvos.

16-9-2012: Powershift dual clutch automatic transmission requires fresh fluid every 3 years at a cost of £250.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail and I will look at the 1.6 petrol again .

Cheers bobbins

The 1.0 125 is amazing to drive. Take it for a test drive and you'll be sold on it.

Hi, the 1.0l engine is streets ahead of the 1.6 in every department. Also there has been no reports of any turbo failures I've read about in any forum, or indeed in any of the motoring press, and I've owned a turbo focus since sept 2011. The bearings of the turbos are actually cooled by water not oil, as is usual. Google 1.0l ecoboost turbo failures and there is nothing in the first few pages only speculation...

9-8-2012: 235x40 R18 tyres only last around 11,000 miles, front and back.

My front tyres have lasted only 16,000 miles and they are not cheap to replace.

Thanks again tfor taking the time to reply guys and I'm taking the 1l 125 and the 1.6 diesel out for a test drive next week to see how they compare.

Hi

What about the Focus 1.8L not very good mpg but your never be short of nectar points LoL

• Like 1

I honestly don't think there is a bad engine in the currently Focus line up, they all seem to have good reviews.

People do say how the current 1.6TDCi isn't as bomb proof as the old 1.8, but I find it is a nice mix of economy, pace and refinement (except when cold!). Though if you do work it hard, it does like lots of trips to the pump!

The 1 litre Ecoboost is a cracking engine, very smooth and quiet for a three cylinder and surprisingly brisk. If I bought another Focus tomorrow, that'd be the engine I'd go for. You wont get as many miles to the gallon as the diesel, but if you're not doing the mileage to justify the diesel it really does make a lot of sense. There are concerns over the longevity of the engine leading up to say 80k-100k miles, but I doubt many people buying new now will still own theirs by then, its on the used market in 3-5 years time where buyers would have to consider that.

Enjoy your test drives, and let us know what you think :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply

honest johns actual mpg calculator may help decide its taken from actually driving the cars they did this over a year due to complaints about mpg not being what it was claimed and found big results for example if you have the 1.0 ecoboost 125 and do mainly town driving with the odd motorway journey do around 10k per year dont expect more than 32.2mpg the bar can be adjusted for driving types etc to give you a more realistic figure and covers most of the ford lineup

Thanks I will take a look at that

Hi, the 1.0l engine is streets ahead of the 1.6 in every department.
Also there has been no reports of any turbo failures I've read about in
any forum, or indeed in any of the motoring press, and I've owned a
turbo focus since sept 2011. The bearings of the turbos are actually
cooled by water not oil, as is usual. Google 1.0l ecoboost turbo
failures and there is nothing in the first few pages only speculation...

thats honest johns reports not mine dont bite the messenger

Is the new Ford 1.0-litre engine reliable? Have there been promlems so far?

Yes. Turbo failures from drivers switching off when the turbos are red
hot. The turbo needs to be idled for 20 - 120 seconds after long
ascents, after towing, after long motorway stints and after driving at
high revs.

so its not an issue as such its mainly people who have never had a turbo car not allowing it to cool

I've not read a bad review about the 1.0 yet apart from mpg but the cost of petrol to diesel it being quieter and smoother all go in its favour so it's just down to the test drive so I will let you know which one I prefer then.

Thanks again for all the advice being given much appreciated .

keep us informed on youre choice it will be interesting to see what you choose in the end who knows it may not be a ford

• 2 weeks later...

artscot 79:

16-9-2012: Powershift dual clutch automatic transmission requires fresh fluid every 3 years at a cost of £250.

Where did you get this info from?

Regards

John

artscot 79:

Where did you get this info from?

Regards

John

Any chance of an answer artscot 79?

John

from honest john... what car guides and confirmed by ford only asked as my old mans looking for a new car and had a test drive but wasnt into the dual clutch kaper in his words its dear enough to replace one never mind 2

im not on all the time so only just noticed youde even asked

from honest john... what car guides and confirmed by ford only asked as my old mans looking for a new car and had a test drive but wasnt into the dual clutch kaper in his words its dear enough to replace one never mind 2

im not on all the time so only just noticed youde even asked

Thanks artscot79 - not too happy about that as I have one.

Only grace is it is only 1yr old at present.

Thanks again and regards

John