Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hidden Second Usb Behind The Sync Module

Willy

I've been getting used to my new Fiesta over the last few days and can't understand why Ford located the USB / Aux connector by the gear stick. Don't you find that all your cables get in the way and make it look really untidy? Well after doing a bit of searching I discovered that the new sync module has 2 USB connectors on the back so the spare, with a connecting cable can be used else where.

With this information I decided to have a look. So far I have located the module and inserted a mini USB cable in the spare socket, it isn't tested yet as I'm at work without all the required connectors.

To start you need to locate the sync module, this is found in the passenger side foot well under the glove box. It is covered by a Grey fibre type thing held in by 2 black plastic push in rivets, these can be hard to remove as the center needs to be pulled before the whole thing can be pulled out.

post-5052-0-32135000-1364781410_thumb.jp

Once you've removed the cover you will see the module attached to it.

post-5052-0-57806900-1364780577_thumb.jp post-5052-0-14918000-1364782589_thumb.jp

On the back will be an empty mini USB socket where the second cable can be attached. once attached you can then feed the cable where ever you like (in the glove box) hidden out of the way. If you need access to the glove box all you need to do is open it and squeeze the sides in wards and pull down. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to complete.

As yet I haven't tested it but understand that when installed and you press the AUX button it will give a choice of USB 1 (the main one below the gear stick) or USB 2.

If all goes well and you want to give it a try then you will need the following.

1. A tool to remove the plastic rivets without braking them.

2. A mini USB to FEMALE USB connector (size of your choice) or a mini USB cable with a FEMALE to FEMALE connector.

3. USB stick / HDD / iPod etc.

4. A little bit of patents.

I'll update you guys later when I get home of the outcome and add more pictures.

N.B. Pictures have been sourced from the Internet and are not my own.

• Like 1

By 'Mini USB' do you mean the standard USB you can plug an iPhone into for example? or is it different?
Thanks.

Mini USB normally used on portable HDDs and some phones

post-5052-0-84683600-1364782504_thumb.jp

Well that was a wast of my time :(

It seams that the second USB isn't active. The Americans have it active but not us brits :(

Well that was a wast of my time :(

It seams that the second USB isn't active. The Americans have it active but not us brits :(

It may be possible to get the 2nd port active via a US software update

Maybe one of those usb hubs plugged into the 1st port will allow several ports to be available?

Jim

Maybe one of those usb hubs plugged into the 1st port will allow several ports to be available?

Jim

Or could always just unplug the main USB/Aux-In cable and fit his own USB cable in there?

Might be able to get an aux/usb input and plug it in to that (like the one in the tray) for an iPod install that's hidden away completely, if you have an iPod you don't need.

As mentioned above you can unplug the existing USB cable that goes to the port near the gear stick and plug your own in and put it anywhere. I had to do the opposite with mine because i changed the stereo but wanted to use the existing USB port by the gearstick. So i traced the port back and it lead to the control box under the glove box, i unplugged the cable from there and connected it to my after-market stereo and it works perfectly.

So 10 points to anyone who can find a wire that plugs in to a micro usb slot, with both a USB and an aux jack on it :P

So 10 points to anyone who can find a wire that plugs in to a micro usb slot, with both a USB and an aux jack on it :P

Aux doesn't go to bluetooth module

Then if I want to use my iPod I'll have to have the original connection point? Lame.

Are get a better ipod ;)

I don't think so, quite happy with my 7 year old beaten up iPod that refuses to stop working :P and paid £20 for a cable lol

Does the AUX port next to the USB go directly to the stereo then? i dont think i even looked while i had my car apart but i dont recall it going into the wiring loom at the back of the stereo...

Yeah you can have mine Dave, I hate it ;)

Got it last week and can't understand why it stops playing after each album so back to the trusted HDD.

Then if I want to use my iPod I'll have to have the original connection point? Lame.

You don't need aux for iPod, USB only works fine if you have latest update installed.

Does the AUX port next to the USB go directly to the stereo then? i dont think i even looked while i had my car apart but i dont recall it going into the wiring loom at the back of the stereo...

It connects to the loom that goes to the stereo.

You don't need aux for iPod, USB only works fine if you have latest update installed.

You do if you got an old ipod like my 3rd Gen touch :p

yo,

Does the second port charge usb devices? I appreciate you have discovered it is not live to the radio.

If it does this may be a neater solution than running the 12v to charge.

J

I'll give it a go later and report back

Anyone know if you can have an iPod lead with a mini USB instead of the normal USB then?

Probably need two cables with a joiner jobby thingy.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club