Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Fiesta Mk7 Interior Lighting Project (Picture Heavy)

tunne1rat

Great set up Tunne1rat, I love it!

I'm curious, how tricky was it to install/wire the rear footwells? I would love to know where you got all the parts and how you managed to do it so well!

Wiring the rear footwells is not too difficult as most of the plastics on the floor console pop off.

With the cup holders removed there is plenty of room to run wires up to the dash.

All wiring is fed from 2 places. Courtesy lights are tapped into the courtesy light circuit and ambient lights from the dash switches illumination circuit.

As most lights are LED, current drain on these circuits is minimal.

Ok cool

My zetec already has front footwell lights fitted. Does that mean I can just attach the new footwell lighting to the existing wiring ?

• 1 month later...

I finally found some time to work on this project again, so now the front footwells are complete:

P1000114_zpse5121533.jpg

and the rear seat side pockets:

P1000117_zpsfe084649.jpg

I will probably leave it there for now!

• Like 1

howdy dude

your lightings looking mad

giving me plenty of ideas, i was gonna fit door handle lighting myself but i wanted to get the wire into the car intead of tapping into the door handle loom, gave up on the idea though

i notice you fitted submarine lighting

i'm in the process of doing this myself but it isnt working

have you got any ideas what may be wrong?

if you could have a mooch at my thread to save typing it up again here and hogging your thread i'd really be most appreciative

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/44626-ambient-lighting-not-working-argh/

nice one mate ;)

Hi Brigante

There is not much that can go wrong so check your work and eliminate every step one at a time.

It is important to have a multimeter that can read volts and ohms. If you haven't got one, go buy one now!

Starting at the light unit, set the multimeter to read volts and connect the black lead to a good earth point (such as the metal cigar lighter casing) and the red lead to your new wire.

Switch on your sidelights and check that the multimeter reads 12v (or close to it).

If it does, the problem is with your new light unit.

If it does not, the problem is with your wiring.

I notice like most people you use scotchloks. I am not a fan of these. They were originally designed to be used as a temporary connector for the telecoms industry and despite what many people beleive are not suitable for automotive applications - especially where high currents are involved as they have been known to cause fires.

There are safer alternatives such as the Posi-tap or T-Tap.

Probably a silly question but what kinda places could i walk in n pick up a multimetre from? Should wickes do em? Cause thats about the only local place i can think of without driving a distance.

I'm not a fan of scotch locks either just used it cause its generally what i was told to use. I have sinse removed em n tried without but still no joy. Heard all the horror stories about fires too

Yes most DIY, automotive and electronic hobby stores have them.

You don't need to spend a fortune either - something like this will be fine: http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/circuit-protection-consumer-units/circuit-testers/digital_multimeter/B-and-Q-MS8233A-Digital-Multimeter-12758717?skuId=13269423

Maplins...

Obviously maplins...

But what i'm saying is i dont have a maplins locally. This is why i asked whether wickes would do it cause theres one round corner from me

Its like the nearest halfrauds n b&q is atleast 20min away from me and due to the hours i'm working, i cant get to a maplins etc at the moment so i'll be waiting a while before i can get a multimetre

Here is a short video I made to demonstrate the lighting effects:

• Like 3

Just showing off now ;) lol

I want those ford puddle lights!!! How did you do them??

I want those ford puddle lights!!! How did you do them??

You can buy them and you simply wire them wire your interior light switch :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just one more job to do... hide the IR receiver.

To make it easier to hide, I attached a short length of fibre-optic cable to the sensor:

IMG_1408_zpsd0a58787.jpg

Then pushed it through a small hole drilled into the back of the centre console storage bin:

IMG_1410_zps7a407a69.jpg

The result is a virtually invisible receiver!

• 2 weeks later...

Tunne1rat I've bought some of those projector puddle lights, what did you wire them upto, I'm struggling to find something that has power only when the door is open but struggling

As I needed to get new wiring to the door for the LEDs I included a feed from the footwell lights to power the projector lights.

To get the wiring to the door I took the wiring through the grommet above the door hinge then into the existing door wiring through a small cut in the bottom of the loom protection rubber.

P3212168_zps4607571b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Are all the Lights colour changing , do u need separate remote and a controller for each?

how well did the fibre optical cable trick work , to make the remote work better ? :) is it one large optic cable , or lots of individual ones?

Are all the Lights colour changing , do u need separate remote and a controller for each?

how well did the fibre optical cable trick work , to make the remote work better ? :) is it one large optic cable , or lots of individual ones?

There is one controller and 1 remote - all LEDs are fed from one controller to keep everything in perfect sync (it could get a bit dristracting with a seperate remote for each light set)!

The fibre cable is a chunky 2mm thick so it collects lots of IR light from the remote and passes it to the hidden receiver flawlessly.

The light show was demonstrated to a select few at Ford Fair and received lots of positive comments - so thanks for that!

Next year I will be back with something bigger and better...

• 2 weeks later...

You got the link to the LEDs you used for the rear?? And how do you get the lights to stay on with the cursity light ?? As when i open my doors they come on but when i turn the light on inside they dont stay on??

My ambient lights are wired to the headlight light switch so they are on when my sidelights are on.

They can be turned off via the remote.

The courtesy and puddle lights are wired to the centre roof light.

If yours is not working as it should, check your wiring and also check the light switch as the terminals can become bent and not make a secure contact.

All ambient lights are LED strip cut to the required length and stuck down with 10mm double sided 3M body kit tape (the standard tape on the LED strip is no good for automotive use as the glue melts in hot climates resulting in your LEDs falling off)!

LED strip and controller from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-2M-3M-4M-5M-5050-Waterproof-IP65-RGB-LED-Strip-44-Keys-IR-Remote-Controller-/200942701195?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=500172213997&hash=item2ec91e4a8b

Thanking you the switch was not contacting, all good now thank you, where did you mount your led under the seats??

• 2 months later...

that is an excellent job tunnel. it looks fantastic (as i am sure you are aware) i take my hat off to you sir.

My ambient lights are wired to the headlight light switch so they are on when my sidelights are on.

They can be turned off via the remote.

All ambient lights are LED strip cut to the required length and stuck down with 10mm double sided 3M body kit tape (the standard tape on the LED strip is no good for automotive use as the glue melts in hot climates resulting in your LEDs falling off)!

LED strip and controller from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-2M-3M-4M-5M-5050-Waterproof-IP65-RGB-LED-Strip-44-Keys-IR-Remote-Controller-/200942701195?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=500172213997&hash=item2ec91e4a8b

just ordered some of these :) quick question however, do they work with the auto function of the lights? where did you run the wiring from too?

many thanks :)

i've ordered some too, quick question though, when you cut the LED strips for each part of the car how are they then connected back together?

Cheers