Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sump Plug Torque Setting?

BigD

Just done an oil change today and consulted the Haynes manual for the sump plug and filter torque settings. It didn't mention the filter, but it said the sump plug should be torqued up to 23nm. So that's what I did.

Now, on removing the filter housing and cleaning it up ready for refit, I noticed that it had, printed on it, the torque settings for it, and the sump plug. It said that the sump plug should be 10-11nm - less than half of what Haynes said.

I've left it at 23nm because even that didn't feel massively tight, and I'm sure thats what I did it to the last time.

Which is right?

Although the torque settings are important on some components, It probably does not matter on this as long as its not too loose to loosen off or so tight it strips the threads, because its just a plug, all it holds is itself.

I always tighten it by hand and then add 2 more turns under pressure with a ratchet, just tighten it until there is no more movement under a normal socket turn, as FOCA said it isnt load bearing and is only there to hold on to the oil.

Well, normally when I torque stuff up, I do it about three or four times after the click to be sure. Rather have stuff done up slightly tight than slightly loose, so it's probably ended up a bit more than 23nm anyway.

I'm still sure than 10nm is nowhere near tight enough, though! I could easily see that jiggling itself loose on this country's cruddy roads.

• 4 years later...

I always tighten the plug until it feels tight then maybe half to 1 turn to make sure, never had on work loose or fall out

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club