• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos

Carlos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec estate
Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

As you may be aware from my previous posts, my Focus has an engine problem that will be financially uneconomical to fix (so the garage told me!).
eg. no compression in # 4 cylinder, causing misfire etc.
I've bought a new car, and the garage wasn't interested in p/x so i'm left with the Focus.
It's a 1999 1.6 Zetec estate in silver, 86k on the clock FSH, 4 months MOT, 9 months tax, only had its cambelt changed last July, and apart from the engine its in excellent condition.
D'you think i should advertise it privately and what price would be reasonable to ask for?
Any ideas wouyld be greatly appreciated

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Simon S

Simon S

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus TDCI
Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

As you may be aware from my previous posts, my Focus has an engine problem that will be financially uneconomical to fix (so the garage told me!).
eg. no compression in # 4 cylinder, causing misfire etc.
I've bought a new car, and the garage wasn't interested in p/x so i'm left with the Focus.
It's a 1999 1.6 Zetec estate in silver, 86k on the clock FSH, 4 months MOT, 9 months tax, only had its cambelt changed last July, and apart from the engine its in excellent condition.
D'you think i should advertise it privately and what price would be reasonable to ask for?
Any ideas wouyld be greatly appreciated

~I would find out what exactly is wrong with the engine IE broken rings, valve seats burnt , cracked head etc. Then go to a garage who wants to fix your car and ask them for a quote?

#3 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Bung a recon engine in it.

#4 Carlos

Carlos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec estate
Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Bung a recon engine in it.

the garage that did the comp test gave an estimate of 900 to fix the engine, but they said they'd obviously have to strip the engine to find out exactly what was wrong.
The problem with this is i'd have to commit to them doing the work, or at least pay them for the labour in stripping/rebuilding the engine to just find the fault.
Getting a recon engine would cost similar, so i just need to get rid asap.
The garage have offered me 300 for it, so if i dont get a better offer before the end of next week i'll reluctantly accept it.
I've no idea what its true value at the moment is, but if they're offering 300 my guess is its more than that!
Shame as it'd make a great project car for someone!
anyone here want to make a better offer? ;)

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,579 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

the garage that did the comp test gave an estimate of 900 to fix the engine, but they said they'd obviously have to strip the engine to find out exactly what was wrong.
The problem with this is i'd have to commit to them doing the work, or at least pay them for the labour in stripping/rebuilding the engine to just find the fault.
The garage have offered me 300 for it, so if i dont get a better offer before the end of next week i'll reluctantly accept it.
I've no idea what its true value at the moment is, but if they're offering 300 my guess is its more than that!

shame your not closer to me, i would have taken it. would keep me out of trouble with the other half for a few nights lol.

#6 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

True a recon engine would cost similar but the 900 quote could double depending on what problems they find. At least with a recon engine you've got a decent car. Certainly cheaper than buying a new car.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users