Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Stephen
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4
  • Year: 2003

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi everyone, i have just joined here in the hope you can give me some help and advice.

The Mrs has a 2003 Fiesta Zetec, its just been parked up for a few days whilst we went blackpool in my car...

Just went to start it up so i can put mine on the drive again and it wouldnt start, like it had no fuel (but it had a full tank) so after a few presses on the pedal and tried again it started but the sound was horrible from the engine and dark smoke came from the exhaust.

So turned it off and checked the oil all was ok there, then started it again and it started first time, but there was white smoke coming from the exhaust this time... i have now left it alone whilst i research what to do incase i do some damage.

What would have cause it not to start? The battery wasnt dead, there was petrol and it was only standing for 3 days!

Could a Engine Flush and some new oil do the trick with a bottle of redex? what other areas should i be looking at or concentrating on?

I've always thought this car lacks some power but i've got a 1.8 Audi A4 so im quite use to that.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk6 1.3 Petrol
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi stephen welcome to the club. When was the last time the car had a full service? Spark plugs,oil change, oil filter etc?

#3 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi stephen welcome to the club. When was the last time the car had a full service? Spark plugs,oil change, oil filter etc?

Hi Dan, i changed the spark plugs myself about 4 months ago (with the correct ones as recomended by NGK's website), but oil, filter and air filter hasnt been done yet... we only had the car 8 months or so.

#4 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Is it petrol or diesel?

#5 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

petrol mate, never had a problem with it until now. Been doing things on the Audi then i was going to do this one... but seems i might have to do both at the same times now lol

#6 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

had a fiesta do this regularly when left for a couple of days, turned out an injector had a small leak...once car was running it was fine, no other noticable symptoms. refurbed the injector, been fine since.
not suggesting this is whats wrong, yours could be a one off, sounds like it momentarily flooded for whatever reason...plus wouldnt be too concerned about the white smoke just yet, could just be condensation..
i would say just moniter it for a few days, see if you notice any other symptoms.

#7 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Might be the injectors? Also check the last time it had a majour service

#8 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

had a fiesta do this regularly when left for a couple of days, turned out an injector had a small leak...once car was running it was fine, no other noticable symptoms. refurbed the injector, been fine since.not suggesting this is whats wrong, yours could be a one off, sounds like it momentarily flooded for whatever reason...plus wouldnt be too concerned about the white smoke just yet, could just be condensation..i would say just moniter it for a few days, see if you notice any other symptoms.

:lol: sorry mate you must have posted that as I was replying haha

#9 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

cheers wase, i never started the thing initially and as i sked the mrs if it made any noises.. her responce was very typically a womans not into cars... 'i dont know it just didnt start' lol

I'll definatly be giving it a good going over tomorrow. When we got the car it was absolutely filthy and the engine was in a bad state (missfiring) he got that sorted and we got the car, the mrs loved it, now im wondering if theres something wrong completely with the thing

Would you guys suggest a tin of Engine Flush before i change the oil? Ive done it in most my cars when i dont know the history of them.

#10 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

:lol: sorry mate you must have posted that as I was replying haha

hehe, when u say injector... what can i do to refurb it? sry for the dumb question

#11 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Fill up your petrol tank, park on level ground and add injector cleaner and then go for 20-30 minute drive to let it work through the injectors. Either that or replace the injectors but they need to be coded

#12 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

no need for coding on petrol engine..
going back to the white smoke, are we talking clouds, if so, are you losing water...
water in cylinders will give both these symptoms too.

flushing oil never does any harm

i just sent injectors away for ultrasonic clean, plus one needed a new pittle...but would suggest trying a good old cleaner as dan suggested , can only do good.

#13 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

not clouds of smoke.. imagine 2 or 3 smokers exhaling at the same time lol... about that much ;)

i'll give the cleaner a try and no its not losing water and not using oil up... so i guess it cant be too bad thats a bonus.

Theres no mayonaise substance on the oil cap neither

#14 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,462 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

no need for coding on petrol engine..going back to the white smoke, are we talking clouds, if so, are you losing water...water in cylinders will give both these symptoms too.flushing oil never does any harmi just sent injectors away for ultrasonic clean, plus one needed a new pittle...but would suggest trying a good old cleaner as dan suggested , can only do good.

Ahh I thought all injectors needed coded. :) learn something new everyday

#15 Stephen_D

Stephen_D

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

http://www.alfaowner...or-cleaner.html

Found this thread... going to give it a go... cheaper and the same stuff :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users