Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 02 Tdci Help Needed Please

ilsonemo

hi my friend owns a 1.8 tdci 2002 ford focus, and has an issue with it

sometimes the car starts fine no problems, other times it can be a pig to start and when it does finally start, it sits at very low revs, smoking lots, no acceleration and battery light on, and when i put a multi meter on it was at 12v and dropping then all of a sudden it can burst into power and start charging at 14v

I have come to a few conclusions myself but wanted to no if anyone else had suffered with this

• cam position sensor
  • alternator
  • alternator clutch pulley

its just had a brand new Bosch battery to see if it would solve it but it did not

any help is much appreciated

thankyou

:( just me with this problem then

The best option will be to get a proper diagnostic carried out.

I think the voltage problem could be due to the low idle.

It could be dirty injectors, duff idle control valve, blocked EGR, damaged vacuum pipes, failioh fuel pressure valve r any number of problems.

A professional diagnostic (a self bought hand held unit may well miss important data) is strongly advised.

its been on a diagnostic computer (snap-on verdict) apparently its the air flow sensor causing the problem

The sensor is in a tube between the air box and the manifold.

You can't miss it as it's the only place on the inlet pipe from the air box with wires to it.

You can try cleaning it with electro cleaning spray, remove the air box lid and disconnect the sensor section and unplug the connections.

Remove the sensor section and spray cleaner from a foot or so away, don't touch box parts inside the sensor as they're very sensitive.

Another option is to replace the whole unit.

Used-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111045542718

New-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=260973495824

The sensor is in a tube between the air box and the manifold.

You can't miss it as it's the only place on the inlet pipe from the air box with wires to it.

You can try cleaning it with electro cleaning spray, remove the air box lid and disconnect the sensor section and unplug the connections.

Remove the sensor section and spray cleaner from a foot or so away, don't touch box parts inside the sensor as they're very sensitive.

Another option is to replace the whole unit.

Used-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111045542718

New-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=260973495824

Thank you for that Stoney871, Ive spoke to my friend and hes going for a genuine ford part :)

Keep us updated as to the results please.

Just an update, he bought a genuine ford part (£172 :o) and up to now all seems good, power has improved apparently.

thankyou for you help ^_^

He could have got that part cheaper and still been an original part but I'm very glad it's all sorted out.

He could have got that part cheaper and still been an original part but I'm very glad it's all sorted out.

I did tell him that £172 is very expensive, i would have been down the breakers yard my self just in case it didnt fix it, at least then i would have only spent £20

to be fair, i wouldnt bother with non genuine air flows with any vehicle, from past experience of various problems when using non genuine.

Stoney is right in that a genuine could possibly be sourced cheaper, but time factor plays a part in that...depends how quickly one can be sourced/delivered

wouldnt bother with 2nd hand either, its a very delicate set up, that doesnt like being mishandled or left on a damp/cold shelf forever how long....its just one of those parts thats worth biting the bullet for.

• Like 1

to be fair, i wouldnt bother with non genuine air flows with any vehicle, from past experience of various problems when using non genuine.

Stoney is right in that a genuine could possibly be sourced cheaper, but time factor plays a part in that...depends how quickly one can be sourced/delivered

wouldnt bother with 2nd hand either, its a very delicate set up, that doesnt like being mishandled or left on a damp/cold shelf forever how long....its just one of those parts thats worth biting the bullet for.

Very true, It's a hot wire system so any jiggling and poking around with greasy little scrap yard tea boys fingers aren't conducive to a reliable part.

If time wasn't an option though, some suppliers on eBay will sell original parts for less than Ford will.

Often Ford buy in parts from suppliers and purely by adding their mark/sticker/brand they deem it necessary to charge silly prices when the part direct from parts services are far more reasonable.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club