51 replies to this topic

#46 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

When i was getting the the car MOT'd i discussed changes to the exhaust and the implications on passing the MOT, and it seems i can have the exhaust made shorter, withn less twists and turns

This makes it lighter, and easier/lighter   to heatwrap the entire exhaust

the less twists/ turns and reduced length will reduce drag/ back pressure on the gas-flow, helping the turbine spool up quicker  

Ive already removed part (about 2-feet/ 3kgs) of the rear section, and the engine picks up a bit quicker from low revs, ive got some quicker 4th-gear acceleration times from this but some of my data is old and there have been improvements to the car since some of these accelerations were timed - im happy the car is getting quicker and quicker 

The 3kgs is at the back, behind the rear wheels, its not a big amount but i can feel a (slight) difference in traction, especially in the wet - the 3kgs section ive removed is temporary, and there will be another 2 to 3 kgs section removed (so 5 to 6kgs in total)

The exhaust will then also be much straighter (less bends in it)

i will need to cut off part of the old exhaust to do this, and make new hangers with rubber mounts and metal ties

the middle silencer will still be in place, but the exhaust is already louder with a "rip" to it that is not very "diesel-like" 

Once this "new" exhaust configiration is done i will be re-connecting the tuning box,it will need to be re-adjusted for the new exhaust setup and the remap, but initial tests reveal the engine should (at least) pick up quicker and pull stronger from low revs than with just the remap nce the shorter/ straighter exhaust is ready          

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

UPDATE -

ive shortened the exhaust, sound-wise its a little bit deeper on tickover and a bit louder on "full-chat" but utherwise much the same

power-wise there is less power really low down, then there is more of a "step" in the powerband and the power comes in with a "rush"/ "bang" (when "booting" it) the power delivery reminds me of a two-stroke motorcycle, like a Yamaha 350LC

the exhaust is now another 5kgs lighter (not includinmg the 3.3kgs) - taking it to (approx) - 155kgs

A large-diameter exhaust will be simpler/ cheaper/ easier to make now (copying to new route) and work better

So the exhaust must be helping the turbine spin up quicker - unfortunately its a bit too quick - and the boost peaks too high for the boost controller to catch it, i had a pipe blow off, and ive reset the boost controller and shortened the small pipes going onto the (stand- alone electronic) boost controller solenoid (to give it a faster response) - and ive adjusted the controller down to (a continuous) 20psi 

What is happening is when i floor the throttle, the turbine spins up (very fast/ faster than before) this spins the compressor up, pressurising the boost hoses, through the intercooler and onto the inlet manifold, the pick-up-point for the boost controller (+ boost gauge) is on the manifold, with how quickly the boost pressure rises, by the time the pressure signal reaches the boost controller/ sensor, the boost is "off the scale" or more than desired/ enough to upset the ECU (especially in the lower gears)  

i will need to re-route the pressure signal pick-up-point for the boost controller/ sensor closer to the compressor, if i fit it onto the same lines as the (boost controller) solenoid/ wastegate, it migh interfere with the solenoid/ wastegate (eg - boost pumping/ etc) but if i used a chamber/ volume in the line to the controller it may fix this.

i would need a second line through the bulkhead to the controller (one for the boost gauge, one for the boost controller) - adding to the compexity (more to go wrong) i couold have 2 boost gauges (ive got a 2nd one) one for the manifold, and one for the controller (pre intercooler) the boost controllers would measure the intercooler pressure-drop in real time then  

i may have to experiment with the controller/ sensor pick-up-point, to avoid boost pumping/ compressor stall, etc, and so i get just a little overboost, i will leave the boost gauge pick-up and my presently fitted boost gauge pick-up in the same place, to make comparisons, to how it was - ive never fitted 2 boost gauges to a car before so it will be interesting to see how that turns out/ how much of a pressure drop i get across the intercooler - i can even compare different intercoolers!

Untill i get the overboost/ boost spiking sorted out - i can't set up/ (re)fit the tuning box and the exhaust also needs a few finishing touches too - im hoping the tuning box will give the engine a bit more grunt at the bottom end (it did before) & ive been timing the 30mph -up in 4th up a very steep hill (safely off, course) so i can measure any improvements i make / set the car/ boost/ tuning box up just right  

It will be interesting to see how it turns out   

#48 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

UPDATE - ive been running with the boost controller disconnected, and the remap un-installed and the tuning box set at the standard setting it came with - still fairly quick compared to most cars but not quite its full potential  

I thought i had to re-position the pick-up point of the controller, but it turns out the (small diameter hose) pipe to the controller was porus/ leaking, so i was both loosing boost and it was giving the controller a false reading, so it tried to increase the boost untill it was too high - with a new silicone hose the boost controller works again

After test-driving the car  I set the boost on the 2nd stage to 20PSI (it runs about 16 stock) i then dis-connected the tuning box and re-installed the Bluefin remap, i took it for another spin and its really "flying" again, it feels even quicker than ever,  this is the 1st time i have had it all working right and with the short exhaust pipe, i get a pit of boost pumping, and overboost (i set it at 20PSI and it bosts to over 22) the boost comes in very strong/ quickly, its hard to keep up with the boost gauge, the power drlivery is very strong, almost "explosive" in the lower gears,

Looks like i will need to get it on the dyno again and re-time all the performance times as the old ones will be out of date, i might wait till i get some of the new parts fitted 1st

Im resetting the ECU for the latest setup

#49 matto2494

matto2494

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 183 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Ford Model: Mondeo mk3
  • Year: 2002
Contributor

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

How have you shortened the boost hoses? And have you completely removed the egr system from
Your car?

#50 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

How have you shortened the boost hoses? And have you completely removed the egr system from
Your car?

Yes, the boost hoses are shorter, and a better shape, with less turns, for better gas flow (more power), as well as  turbo stays hot and inlet stays cool, like it should, also for better power/ efficiency

After you have fitted a solid EGR blanking plate, the next step is removing all the EGR components, as they are effectively disabled when the plate is fitted, on the TDDI, with the EGR at the back, the boost hoses are a "bad" shape and have a long travel as they wind their way around the engine, ditching the EGR and shortening the hoses probably makes a big difference on this car/ engine, it may be less so on other engines  

#51 jaseone

jaseone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

hi mate iv been looking everywhere on forums to try and find the lengh of the shortened belt to delete the a/c . has the tddi still got the same layout of pulleys as the tdci ? if so can you remember your belt size lol . cheers

#52 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

hi mate iv been looking everywhere on forums to try and find the lengh of the shortened belt to delete the a/c . has the tddi still got the same layout of pulleys as the tdci ? if so can you remember your belt size lol . cheers

I bought several belts and fitted one - which one i can't remember (this was a few years ago!)

As far as i am aware, no-one else has done this (unless they copied me)- so not a lot of point looking on other forums   

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users