Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Used Focus

ben1191

Im looking to buy a 1.6 tdci,i whent to look at a 2006 1.6 tdci zetec climate 5 doors and it all looked good for its age (90k miles).

EDIT:Has a full service history with 1 owner from HM Land Registry

What common faults should i look for in these models,which models are generally the best to go for,i did notice the clutch had a high biting point but i read this is common with the new hydraulic clutched cars.

How long does the clutch last on average?

Is it a dual mass flywheel?

I also read that there was some form of filter that was expensive to replace and that was every 37k miles?(may have read a different model)

Any advice is appreciated.thanks.

Your 1.6 will have a dual mass flywheel for sure, all Ford TDCI do now.

The filter you're concerned with is the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and is much maligned on the 1.6.

I chose a 1.8 specifically6 because it doesn't have a DPF, when they clog you will get reduced power and performance issues.

There are a few things you can do about this-

1, Remove the DPF but leave the canister it sits in so as to pass your MOT.

2, Give it a good run on a motorway in 4th so as to force a regeneration (burn the crud out)

3, Something I'm having done to my car on Thursday, a Terraclean service, where the engine is run for an hour on a special fuel mix to clear out all the carbon from injectors to exhaust. If you watch Wheeler Dealers you may have seen this being done on a Jaguar that would have failed it's MOT on emissions but after the clean it was well under the pass limit.

It's available for diesels at various places around the country, and even though I don't have a DPF, there is still the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system that will carbon up after a while and stifle the engine too.

Some have blanked theirs off but you will tend to get a fault code popping up occasionally as the sensor in the EGR has been bypassed and throws a wobbly occasionally but doesn't affect the running of the engine and can be deleted when it shows up (and especially before an MOT).

the bite point depends thers high then right at the end of the pedal which means its worn out check under the drivers carpet for damp check the boot and spare wheel well for water leaks a good service history helps im finding a lot of diesels arent being serviced well at all

Very interested to hear how your Terraclean service goes, I saw the same episode of WD and it intrigued me.

Hi,i found a website that gives a list of things that need to be changed at certain milage intervals but i wanted to double check that this is the correct make im putting in?

Model Focus 2004.75 Variant 1.6L DURATORQ-TDCI/MAN (01/2005 - 01/2008) Interval 7 Years (87500 ml)

http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleView.do?model=22&variant=201&interval=7&htmlOutput=Preview

WOW, can't believe no one has mentioned the major turbo issues with these engines,,, just Google 'focus 1.6 tdci turbo problems', and set aside a good few hours to read through all the horror stories. Of course, not all cars have had this problem, but thought I'd point it out as this, along with the DPF is what convinced me to buy the 1.8tdci. Older engine, less refined, but does the job, and quite reliable.

Very interested to hear how your Terraclean service goes, I saw the same episode of WD and it intrigued me.

It's only really just taken off nationally, been keeping my ear to the ground waiting for it to spread.

Rest assured I'll post a thorough review and if the garage is happy/allows me, a few photos of the process.

If I put it forward to them as a bit of free advertising I'm sure they'll be on board with it.

WOW, can't believe no one has mentioned the major turbo issues with these engines,,, just Google 'focus 1.6 tdci turbo problems', and set aside a good few hours to read through all the horror stories. Of course, not all cars have had this problem, but thought I'd point it out as this, along with the DPF is what convinced me to buy the 1.8tdci. Older engine, less refined, but does the job, and quite reliable.

ive read a lot on this and although it concerns to an extent it seems that if the car has that problem it seems to have had it intermittently at the early part of its life.

Our current car is a 1999 M class 3.2L and theres a tonne of "common faults" but we've had ours for 7 years and nothings ever gone wrong with it despite the many horror stories i read on the mercedes forums

It's only really just taken off nationally, been keeping my ear to the ground waiting for it to spread.

Rest assured I'll post a thorough review and if the garage is happy/allows me, a few photos of the process.

If I put it forward to them as a bit of free advertising I'm sure they'll be on board with it.

Cheers Stoney, much appreciated.

Found a place near me that does it, and I'm very tempted.

It would seem that it will help anyone with grotty EGR, DPF, injectors and cat.

I'll bang up as much info as I can glean from the garage on Thursday and give my honest opinion as to any improvements in economy and power.

I don't have a DPF because mine's a 1.8, but based on the soot I get under hard acceleration, plus a flat spot at 1500rpm on light throttle, I suspect my EGR and injectors are dirty.

I seem to be a prime candidate for a 'before' and 'after' story!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club