Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Breakdown Cover?

Brigante

My insurance policy is coming to an end soon which also means my breakdown cover is too.

My new insurance policy doesn't include breakdown cover so I'm gonna have to get it separate.

Thought it could be a good idea for a thread, so who are you all with and what are you paying?

Getting quotes from the main 3 I'm looking at;

AA: £193.90

RAC: £144.99

GreenFlag: £137.80

All of which are for the highest spec excluding european cover.

So roadside assistance, at home, national cover and onward travel. AA also includes parts and garage cover upto 500quid a time with 35quid excess

All quotes are also for personal cover and not just vehicle cover, ie it doesn't matter if I break down in my own car or if I'm a passenger of someone elses broken down car, whatever vehicle I'm in is covered.

Even though I never broke down once last year so the breakdown cover was a lost expense, you can never be too sure, and as I'm prone to trips up n down the country, having the top spec is important.

Not that either of these offers sway it but

AA is currently doing a free £50quid amazon voucher offer that seems straight forward enough that they'll send you it within a month..

RAC is doing a £50quid free fuel offer n making a big point of it in the adverts so it seems a good deal. That is till you read the small print of course..

They say they'll give you a 50quid fuel card, but what actually happens is more hassle than its probably worth.

What happens is 15days after purchase and paying almost 200quid for a service you'll most likely not use, is they'll send you a reference number.

With the reference number in hand you enter it on a website, after doing so they'll send you the fuel card, which could take up to 60 days.

After waiting 2 and a half months after paying 200quid in full, you have to phone a number to activate the card, and then they'll process your first quarterly installment.

Yup that's right, quarterly. They make a big point of giving you 50quid fuel for breakdown cover and 50quid if you also take out insurance with em. And the advert shows a bloke putting 100quid straight into his tank.

But in actual fact, after waiting 2 and a half months all you'll get if you take out breakdown cover only is £12.50.

Then you will have to log onto a website every 3 months to claim your next £12.50 until you've had your full £50quids worth over a year after taking out your cover.

Now I aint after summin for nothing, and i know they dont have to give you any free fuel at all. Personally I'd be happy just getting what I was paying for which is breakdown cover.

It's just the fact they make a huge point of giving you £50 free fuel to draw you in, only to find out its really £12.50 every 3 months for a year. Just doesn't really seem worth the effort of all the hoops you have to jump through for it.

Anyway I'm well aware I've gone completely off topic in my own topic :blink: but it just really annoys me lol

So back on topic..

Who you with and what you paying?

Answers on a postcard ;)

There's a breakdown service comparison on Money Supermarket. Get what the "big boys" off for a fraction of the cost. And most them appear to be AA/RAC sub-contractors.

(2011 - broke down on the M42 at about 9pm...AA FINALLY got me back to Fleetwood for 8am the next day...5 recovery trucks, only 2 of which were AA)

I bought into the Green Insurance Company for breakdown. they are a subsidary of Kwik Fit and use local mechanics and recovery agencies, used them twice now on my CMAX and nothing but quick and responsive service, I paid about £40 for a year :|

I used to be RAC and they were always quick and courteous, never had to wait more that 40 minutes.

When I got free Green Flag with my bank account I thought they'd be rubbish but happily surprised with them.

The battery on my previous Focus went flat on boxing day 2011 and at that time I didn't have a booster pack so gave them a shout, a local garage vehicle was there in 25 minutes.

I know that Green Flag use a lot of third party vans but with response times like that I wouldn't care if it was a man in a dust cart as long as he knew what he was doing and was fast.

The AA always bangs on about how they have more dedicated patrols than anyone else but it's utter tosh, many times I've been assisting people who have broken down on motorways/A roads and they have called the AA and a local garage turns up.

All recovery companies resort to local garages for cover in far flung areas but unlike the AA at least they don't lie about it.

I'm with the RAC, can't fault them. Needed them 3 times in the last 18 months and never had to wait more than 10 minutes actually.

I'm with the RAC, can't fault them. Needed them 3 times in the last 18 months and never had to wait more than 10 minutes actually.

how much are you paying for rac mate and whats it cover?

Bear in mind that each car will cost a different amount, service history, mileage, age, and fuel all make a difference as to what price you will pay, so dont be shocked if you see bigger numbers!

Handy hint there Sassygirl!

how much are you paying for rac mate and whats it cover?

Ermm, not sure, but it covers me as a person, rather than the car itself. It's pretty nifty, saved me a few times.

rac saying to cover me as a person (driver or passenger of any car), roadside, recovery and onward travel is 120quid

i like the sound of aa's parts n garage cover. if i did break down n the car needed work doing, i would pay the first 35quid n aa would pay up to 500quid. can be used up to 5 times

but it's a 90quid option that will bring the policy up to 180quid

which is a lot to spend if like last year i luckily don't break down at all all year (which is obviously the best result) it means i've spent 180quid on summin i never used

but then if i do break down n i'm not covered i'm screwed

Better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

very true mate

what you reckon likely problems are that it could break down due to summin that cant be easily fixed at roadside?

its an 8year old car with 100500 on the clock

cam belts just been changed so that isn't likely to go any time soon n its not long been serviced n mot'd end of last year

Try Britannia Rescue, they are really good. Saved my daughter twice in two days, cost £59 for breakdown and home cover, mind I get discount as I'm a member of CSMA, but that's only £15.

http://www.britanniarescue.com/

never heard of em mate lol but the prices look good

They are based in Huddersfield and like Green Flag use local garages on licence so get to you really quickly. I have been with them for years and treat daughter whenshe passed her test, and now appears it's an annual treat "daddy"