Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Filter Replaced, Now Car Won't Start

DeanFez101

I've had my car for nearly 12 months (Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2005) and it's never failed to start. I recently took it to the garage to have the fuel filter replaced. The following day my car started up for a few seconds then cut out, it then would not start. The garage have said it may have something to do with parking my car uphill on the drive and the fuel is draining back into the tank.

Any ideas on what could have caused this, as mentioned above, I had previously started it up on the drive for 12 months without a problem, could changing the fuel filter (or something in connection with this) have caused the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Sounds like there is air in the fuel system,If was fine before filter changed would guess there is a leak/pipe not on filter fully.

Go back to garage and get them to check it..

Maybe as Darren has said there is air in the line where they have changed it, i would have thought that if you turn it over enough it should clear its self, have you looked underneath for any puddles, and also get someone to stand near the filter when you try to start the car and see if anything can be heard. Also its diesel so it will have a bleeding bulb for the fuel system, although im not sure of the location on these, if you can find this press it until the bulb is full or you can hear it squelching then the system will be fully charged, i will dig the web for a location.

Ford don't fit a priming bulb to their filter housings unfortunately.

Ford fuel filters are also not self priming so need a priming pump or priming bulb to draw fuel through the filter and into the outlet pipe.

When changing a fuel filter on a Ford diesel it's imperative that the seal is replaced at the same time and is seated correctly or air leaks will form causing fuel to run back out of the system and making starting problematic.

If you don't have access to a primer and the car won't start it may be a good idea to call out a recovery service (if you have one) as they'll be able to prime and bleed the fuel system for you in minutes.

• Like 1

Shame about the bleed bulb, i thought ford used peugeot diesels in these or is it a home brew motor? Because the pugs have one fitted, anyway if you have a mechanic friend he may let you borrow one or may come and help on a weekend if you dont want to Shell out small change, otherwise like Clive says give your recovery service a buzz if you have one.

Does this engine use a canister or replaceable paper element filter?

Peugeot cars do indee have priming bulbs fitted to the fuel filters but Ford seems to not like that self-help method, maybe they believe that it will elsad more people to go to them for servicing rather than doing it themselves.

• Like 1

Peugeot cars do indee have priming bulbs fitted to the fuel filters but Ford seems to not like that self-help method, maybe they believe that it will elsad more people to go to them for servicing rather than doing it themselves.

Makes sense for ford, also gives the master mechanics something to do, and peugeot know it will go wrong at some point anyway, haha. I find it funny how much more reliable the ford branded psa engines are compared to when peugeot use them in there own cars.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Problem solved without trip to garage.

Spent some time looking thro forums etc last night and came up with a plan of action. These are the things I did.

1. car was up on wheel ramps at front. My drive slopes down so this meant the car was actually level but decided to take of ramps and therefore car now lower at front which possibly may help fuel flow.

2. Checked issue of orings misplaced in feed pipe to filter, was ok.

3. Disconnected pipe leading to high pressure pump at filter end and then unthreaded from other components (except for last bit near pump as too difficult). This allowed me to hold the pipe near vertical and fill properly using tube and funnel eg all air bubbles out.

4. Reconnected back to filter.

5. With feed pipe to filter off, filled up using syringe ( from children's medicine). Filled to very top and also allowed to bleed out of the small bleed screw on top. Replaced feed pipe.

6. Turned ignition on leave for 10 secs then off, did this about four times

On trying to start (according to manual 10 secs max then wait 30 secs!!) it fired 2nd time but then died and my heart sank. But about 4th time it fired ok and then ran ok. So removed pipe to pump again and rethreaded thro original route. Then tried to start and it did not fire after two attempts. Removed feed pipe to filter, filled again with syringe and it then started about 2nd time and ran ok. Note using 2nd car runing and linked with jump leads for all the starting action.

Now I cannot say which of these actions were useful or which were not, but together they appear to have worked. It is of course possible that only one of the actions played any role, but which one? From all the other comments here I would suggest that the first thing to try is filling the filter with a syringe. I thought my filter was full but it took quite a bit to top it up. Also important to be very careful fitting new seal and !Removed! top of filter back on correctly.

Many thanks for all your advice.

At least it's going now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

• 8 years later...

I own a 2008 Fiesta1.4TDCi Clever. Had a mechanic replace the glow bulbs a couple of months ago and first the car stopped suddenly while driving twice in different occasions.  I changed fuel filter to make sure it wasn't bad fuel fill.  I manually primed it and it worked allright the whole day, but it needs manual priming every morning.  While pressing the plastic bulb I can see air coming in and then going through the pipe filling the filter. The car then starts up, but I would like to ensure an end to this air coming in.  Any suggestions as to where intervene?  Bolkie