Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 2009 1.6 Zetec Focus Speedometer Start Point

Fiestaalex

Hi everyone,

I have a slight issue with my speedometer. It works perfectly when driving but the only trouble is it starts on 5mph. So whenever i am driving the speed reads 5 miles an hour faster than is should show!

Is it possible to recalibrate it or is the whole unit broken??

Many thanks,

Alex

the speedos are calibrated to be out by about 3-5mph

dunno if this is what your on about?

you can tell this when driving with satnav

the speedo will say 65 when the satnav will say 70

its so you dont panic and suddenly brake if you were to go through a camera doing 32 in a 30 for instance cause you'll actually be doing 27

Thanks for the reply but my problem is that the speedo starts as if it was on 5mph instead of 0mph so if you are at a standstill it reads 5mph instead of 0mph.

The speedo works as if it should but just keeps the extra 5mph onto the speed that it should say, it's almost as if the needle is just put on slightly off where it should be?

Therefore when the speedo says 10mph your actually doing 5mph and say if you were doing 30mph the speedo would say 35mph. Hope this explains it a bit better!

thanks,

Alex

i thought thats what you meant, but was hoping i read it wrong n it was just summin simple like i explained as a fair few members have thought their speedo was wrong and didnt know about how its calibrated to be out

your problem obviously seems to be rather worse n a bit out of my knowledge

hopefully someone else will pop up with an answer for you

may just be summin simple

Did you buy the car used or new?

Is it an issue that you noticed a while ago or has it been like that since you bought the car?

Have you ever fiddled with the speedo in any way?

I had a similar issue when i changed the background of my dials, where i had to remove the needles.

It is really easy to remove the speedo, dissasemble it, remove the needles and then replace them. johnH has made a guide that covers that. Other fixes (such as calibration using the OBD2) might exist, but i am unaware of any.

Personaly however, i would be cautious before i fiddle with the needles. If you got the car second-hand with this issue, the previous owner might have accessed the speedo for some reason. On the other hand, if you bought the car new, and this was a fault that arose without a particular reason, i would stop trusting the speedo before i checked with a mechanic to validate its accuracy.

It was bought used and bought with the problem.

Looking at that guide it seems that it might be possible to remove the needle and replace it starting at 0mph? is this correct? Not sure whether to attempt it myself or get the dealership to have a look!

Thanks for the replies!

Alex

Then i would say that the previous owner dissasembled the speedo for a reason. Personaly i would try to contact the person (if possible) to ask for the reason. He might explain to me why, now that he actually sold the car.

To remove the speedo, you need to remove two screws and then unclip the front fascia. I can send you some more images if those are not very clear for you. (i have one speedo lying around the house at the moment).

Once you remove the needles, before you press them fully back, you need to test it visually and with the "speedo test trick". You then need to reasemble the speedo and place it back.

To make them point perfectly, what i did was to put the speedo back in place without the front cover, turned on the engine and then gently placed the needles in place. Then i took it off and pressed them further in. Then i tested again before i secured it in place.

Just two more notes:

1. The needles can go below 0, hence you cannot expect them to be on 0 if you turn them all the way to the left.

2. Keep in mind that you see the speedo in angle, hence the needles must point a bit over the line when you see it straight in order to compensate for this tiny angle.

youre speedo must read slightly higher than the actual speed you are doing this is because manufacturers would be breaking the law if the speedo was under so leave it alone it doesnt need touched or fiddled with its how its meant to be sat nav and gps will give you actual speed so does the dash test the speedo must be calibrated the way it is i say again leave It alone most cars when stationary will show 3-5mph difference thats how the speedo makes sure it doesnt underestimate the speed

youre speedo must read slightly higher than the actual speed you are doing this is because manufacturers would be breaking the law if the speedo was under so leave it alone it doesnt need touched or fiddled with its how its meant to be sat nav and gps will give you actual speed so does the dash test the speedo must be calibrated the way it is i say again leave It alone most cars when stationary will show 3-5mph difference thats how the speedo makes sure it doesnt underestimate the speed

i agree on that. An engineer should always be your first option before you start messing with such things.

i know mine reads 3mph higher at speed and sits above 0 when stationary around the 3mph mark every car ive had has been the same

Then i would say that the previous owner dissasembled the speedo for a reason. Personaly i would try to contact the person (if possible) to ask for the reason. He might explain to me why, now that he actually sold the car.

To remove the speedo, you need to remove two screws and then unclip the front fascia. I can send you some more images if those are not very clear for you. (i have one speedo lying around the house at the moment).

Once you remove the needles, before you press them fully back, you need to test it visually and with the "speedo test trick". You then need to reasemble the speedo and place it back.

To make them point perfectly, what i did was to put the speedo back in place without the front cover, turned on the engine and then gently placed the needles in place. Then i took it off and pressed them further in. Then i tested again before i secured it in place.

Just two more notes:

1. The needles can go below 0, hence you cannot expect them to be on 0 if you turn them all the way to the left.

2. Keep in mind that you see the speedo in angle, hence the needles must point a bit over the line when you see it straight in order to compensate for this tiny angle.

Thanks for all the help, I might give that a go when i am feeling brave which will probably be next week now! I think the reason the speedo may have been fiddled with was that there was bit of damage sustained on that front corner of the car previously to me buying it which had been fixed :/ is the 'speedo test trick' where you hold down the mode button and put it into test mode and do the gauge sweep?

I know that most cars underestimate the speed but my speedo does that as it should if you subtract the initial 5mph speed it shows at a stand still. For instance if i am driving at 65 mph on the speedometer it should say i'm doing 60mph and the sat nav will tell me i'm doing 56 so it shouldn't be that far out!

I will try and get a picture of it at a standstill later to try and explain better!

Many thanks again,

Alex

I'm a bit confused with what you say.

If you really drive at 65, the sat nav should read 65 and the speedo between 67 and 70.

However, i would not rely on the sat nav only. They are not always accurate.

In order to calibrate my speedo i used three sources:

1. I went for a ride with the 'speedo test trick' (yes, the test mode) and i compared with the digital value which should be accurate.

2. I used the sat nav

3. I used one of those funny speed notifications on the street. (the ones that show you how fast you're going)

My speedo would always show a couple of MPH more than those. So far i have not received a ticket, so i consider them to be accurate enough! :P

Keep in mind tho, that this was my case where everything was working fine and i've got the car since new. What worries me, is the damage you mentioned that your car had in the past. Could your problem originate from a different source, such as a faulty sensor or incorrect repair? The images you mention might help.

If i were you, i would start by going to a mechanic to confirm it is only an issue with the needle and if the cost was unreasonable, i would attempt it myself.

I'm a bit confused with what you say.

If you really drive at 65, the sat nav should read 65 and the speedo between 67 and 70.

However, i would not rely on the sat nav only. They are not always accurate.

In order to calibrate my speedo i used three sources:

1. I went for a ride with the 'speedo test trick' (yes, the test mode) and i compared with the digital value which should be accurate.

2. I used the sat nav

3. I used one of those funny speed notifications on the street. (the ones that show you how fast you're going)

My speedo would always show a couple of MPH more than those. So far i have not received a ticket, so i consider them to be accurate enough! :P

Keep in mind tho, that this was my case where everything was working fine and i've got the car since new. What worries me, is the damage you mentioned that your car had in the past. Could your problem originate from a different source, such as a faulty sensor or incorrect repair? The images you mention might help.

If i were you, i would start by going to a mechanic to confirm it is only an issue with the needle and if the cost was unreasonable, i would attempt it myself.

i know my satnav is accurate for the same reasons of when i go through the led signs where my speedo will be saying 28 n the sign will flash up saying i'm doing 24 or summin n thank me for not speeding

If the speedo said 28 the sign says 24 then its the expected 4mph out many things could cause the speedo to be out from a simple ecu update which may have the wrong info stored on tyre size etc also the wrong size of tyres on the car to a faulty sensor faulty cluster faulty speed sensor on the gearbox as above do not touch the dials have the car checked out first

You got it wrong way round if youre driving and the speedo says 65 you will be doing anywhere between 60 and 62mph if youre sat nav says 56 then you are out by a further 4mph so 9mph in total

• 6 years later...

I have the same issue but mine is about 7mph out according to when I compare it with the speed test. 

The NecroPoster strikes again!!!

Mwahahaaahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Do you mean that this is a problem you'd like help with?

There is a guide linked to earlier in the thread which describes how to dismantle the cluster and reset the needles.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club