Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 (2010) Retrofit Armrest

giwrgos_ath

Yeah, they are very expensive if you get them from the dealer. That's why i didn't bother much and used the RHD while i drive a LHD.

Try at the breakers. Hopefully you'll find some. What did you do with the gear gaiter?

By the way, are sites such as breakeryard any good, or should i avoid using them?

For now I have "modified" the original none armrest panels will just look when I can for some replacements. I have emailed the guy I got the armrest from on eBay in the hope he has them still.

I got everything in one go, so I had the gear gaiter include. I still have my original one though along with the rest of the standard Style centre console.

I used the original side kick panels by breaking off the locating tabs and making the cinsole fit over the top. Job done.

Pity ford created different panels at silly prices

So, got the bracket yesterday and fitted it in less than 20 minutes. Solid as a rock now and all panels fit perfectly.

Job done, and I must say I'm pleased.

• 1 month later...

I recently decided to add USB support to my car.

Unfortunately my bluetooth did not support USB, but i came across a USB MusicBox (A66SA 14D202-AA / 1746768) at a reasonable cheap price.

This comes with a strange extension cord and it connects on the cable going to the stereo. I had a look on the internet and saw people installing it in the glove box or just routing the USB end to the bottom of the arm rest, below the small mat.

post-29590-0-17401200-1377712687_thumb.j

I decided to scrap those suggestions and see if i can install it in the designated location, which is the IPOD holder for the armrest. I got one of those (8M51-A045N24-AAW) which also has an AUX port. I also had to buy a USB port for it (8M5T-19A164-BB) which costs around £15.

post-29590-0-42177800-1377712697_thumb.jpost-29590-0-28563300-1377712690_thumb.j

When i tried to install that, i noticed that it was not possible because FORD has created a special USB adapter for this. The original cable however comes in two parts and costs an unreasonable amount of money. I decided to see what's inside the USB i socket and if there was any way to fit a normal usb in it.

post-29590-0-62682200-1377712699_thumb.j

I bought a Male to Female cable hoping to strip the metal part and somehow attach it to the USB, but i then realized that this was not possible because the wiring was inverted. Instead of trying with a Male to Male cable which would probably be ok, i decided to get a USB socket kit and rewire the whole thing.

post-29590-0-90991300-1377712701_thumb.j

Instead of getting the rewire kit, i could easily solder everything directly on the pins of the USB, however i decided to keep everything in a condition that i can easily revert, in case i come across a proper cable sometime in the future. To do that, i had to replace the original pins with the ones from the kit.

post-29590-0-67729400-1377712704_thumb.j

After soldering and assembly, the cable seems to be working, so i installed everything on the armrest.

I can now select "AUX" to listen to browse the USB. The good thing is that the steering controls are fully functional, but the negative is that i do not have track Information on the screen. This might be an issue with the files however.

Hope the above will be of interest to someone.

George, you clever bar steward!

did you get the side kick panels for the arm rest?

I found some RHD ones and used those. They easily fit a LHD car without modification, and they are not that much different in shape.

I have no reason to buy the LHD ones since they are that expensive.

• 1 year later...

Hi giwrgos_ath,

Great guide !

How did you wired the 2 aditional cigarette lighters ? Are there any unused wires underneath the standard console or do I need to piggyback on the standard one?

Hi giwrgos_ath,

Great guide !

How did you wired the 2 aditional cigarette lighters ? Are there any unused wires underneath the standard console or do I need to piggyback on the standard one?

I did the console upgrade a year ago and made my own loom.

If you need one I can knock one up for you for cost of parts and postage.

It just connects in between the existing socket on a mk2 and it's connector then plugs into the two other sockets.

HI Stoney871,

Thank you but I already have the parts to make the loom as I was doing some wireing in the trunk for the second light lamp. I was curoius weather there is any existing unsused wires I can connect to.

Any chace you have a picture with your loom?

Afraid the loom was fitted before I thought to take a picture.

It's straightforward though.

Just a patch lead between the original socket and it's loom connection and then run parallel wires to the middle socket and then to the rear socket.

Most important thing is to make sure you leave enough slack to allow the wiring to be routed without straining the connections.

• Like 1

Just for your reference this is the connectors I use as they fit nicely onto the standard Ford lighter socket but you can of course just use standard bayonet crimps-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130873525986?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is how I wire my looms, found this online a while back and it's very straightforward-

post-28494-0-13289700-1423830876_thumb.j

• Like 1

Right I fancy putting in an arm rest in my 2008 style....the ones on e-bay all look dead easy to fit over the current console....is this true or will it be a right slaver on and not worth it

Should be fairly easy and it's worth having the original one rather than an aftermarket one, still, now I'm stuck on removing the old cigarette lighter.

Two ways to remove the old socket.

1/ Snap the back of the fitting ring with pliers and yank it out or-

2/ Use a pair of small screwdrivers and if you can get the angle right prise the socket out of the ring--

post-28494-0-62401000-1423927798_thumb.j

BTW, found a couple of photos of how the socket patch cable I made was fitted, the cable is covered in black loom tape.

Not sure if they are of great use though-

(The shiny black cable is for my USB feed from the armrest box to the module in the dash).

post-28494-0-98756400-1423928010_thumb.j

post-28494-0-35960400-1423928037_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks again !

The pictures look great.

I read about the second way, there are 2 pins inside, tried to push one at a time and push the metal case, but so far no luck. Not sure how to fit 2 screwdrivers at the same time.

Even just one screwdriver may do it if you lever it just right.

If you can find something like a very small crowbar type tool it may help (maybe a small claw hammer?).

Btw, the pins you can see are not what you need to push.

Beside the pins are small cut-outs where the lugs hook in.

I have a proper tool for removing ford sockets but it's useless.

I can guarantee pushing anything from the inside will be futile as they have nowhere to flex to.

Prising the metal sleeve out will get a better result as once it's out a certain distance you can then manoeuvre the ring out.

It is fiddly beyond belief but once you get it figured out you'll kick yourself.

• Like 1

Can't thank you enough ! I finally made it, just needed a stronger screwdriver.

All I need now is that metal mounting bracket(which I already ordered) and I can fit the central console. Hope it goes smooth from now.

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted.

If it helps at all I have a fitting guide in the link under this post (when viewed on a PC).

Let us know if you have any problems.