Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random Fails To Start

Alec J

For some reason since ive had the car sometimes it starts instantly no issues.

Other times maybe 1 out of 5 it will sit there struggling like its nearly started yet applying slight pressure to the accelerator will make it start.

Theres no misfires, no loss of performance, was serviced in December. No management lights come on nor any trouble codes.

For some reason since ive had the car sometimes it starts instantly no issues.

Other times maybe 1 out of 5 it will sit there struggling like its nearly started yet applying slight pressure to the accelerator will make it start.

Theres no misfires, no loss of performance, was serviced in December. No management lights come on nor any trouble codes.

Mine is the same Alec. I have a 2006 LX Auto that sometimes fails to start properly. Sometimes it cuts out, others like it is struggling then apply the accelerator and it's fine. I have been trying to sort this out for 18 months and no joy. I have tried everything from diagnostics, cleaning the throttle body, used a high quality fuel/system/injector cleaner, using better petrol, fitting a new air filter. Alot of the Mk2's also have no fuel filter (it is part of the pump) so that can't be done easily. I sometimes give it an "Italian Tune Up" combined with a high quality fuel system cleaner which helps a bit but the problem has never fully gone away. What year/model do you have? I had a little improvement after I found out thet the spark plug well was full of water and windscreen wash. This was because the jets on the bonnet had no rubber seal and the geniuses at for design put the spark plugs directly underneath them - any screenwash and rain could get in there. Over time it had filled up with about 2 to 3 inches or more. I replaced the jet washers, then actually used the nozzle & tube from a water sprayer bottle (like you would use on plants and flowers) and pumped out as much as possible. Every couple of days I checked the wells and when they were finally dry I bought a spark plug cover and bolts from volvo (cost less than £25 total) and fitted (despite Ford telling me I would not be able to get anything to fit), and this helped a little in performance - it has kept the spark plugs dry anyway. There is no idle air control valve on the Mk 2's either so it's not that. I have come down to 1 of 2 conclusions - it is either the TMAP sensor, which gives the engine information on air inlet vacuum & temperature, or the EGR, where some of the exhaust gases are recirculated within the engine to help with emissions - therefore the air/fuel mix isn't quite right when you start the car (ignites quickly and causes pinking). Sometimes mine runs like you are driving a brand new faultless car and others it's not great at all. Sorry for all the infotmation but if I can help anyone go through less time, grief and money than i have then I will be very pleased.

Mines a 55 plate mk2 2.0L Titanium.

The car drives perfectly fine, no misfire or running issues its just purely the ignition. My engine has the plastic cover over the top of it so even if my jet was leaking it wouldn't affect any spark plugs.

No fault codes stored either and no warning lights when starting up. About 8/10 times it will start perfectly fine pretty much instantly but the other 2 will chug and either finally start or start when tapping accelerator.

Exactly the same here. Once I didn't think it was going to start and my Wife was driving it. On about the 4th or 5th attempt she pressed on the accelerator a little bit and then started it - it started quickly and I didn't get any problems for a few weeks, then trying to take my Mum to hospital one night it played up again. If you google "ford focus starts and..." then the next suggested words are "dies", "stalls" and "stops immediately" etc. There are loads of people who report similar issues (not just with Petrol models either). In the end a mechanic friend of my Dad's said it might be a case of waiting until it actually conks out or puts out a fault code. Ford advised that while there is no codes you could throw all manner of money at it and it might not sort it out. I like the car itself but between this and the brake knock/clunk I have it drives me mad (my work is an absolute nightmare to get to without the car - walk, train, bus, walk - takes about 2 hours each way :angry: - I did it for a few weeks last summer and is was horrible). Sorry I don't have the precise solution but at least you can eliminate a few things from what it could be (and hopefully spend less on it than I have).

Yeah thanks for the info, if i find out anymore about the issue i shall let you know.

Same here. Shall let you know if I find out anything else.

Same here. Will let you know if I find out anything.

• 7 years later...

Old post but did anyone find the fault? I have the same problem on a 2 litre 2007 auto (in Australia)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club