• Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

Focus Mk1 51 Plate Pcv Information

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum, I joined to see about getting some information.

I have a 1.6 Petrol Mk1 Focus with a Zetec SE engine and I would like to fit an oil catch can but I have no idea where to connect it?

I think it goes after my PCV then connects onto the pipes that go back in the engine ? I'm really confused with this as I think I also have a Breather filter somewhere as well.

I originall thought it would connect in between this pipe:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

think the set up on this is a baffle type breather capsule, bolted on front of engine under inlet manifold, pcv fits into capsule with a pipe coming off to a three way connector, with two pipes connecting to inlet manifold...no other filter fitted

first question

if its a stock engine, why do you actually want/need to have a catch can

pipe you have arrowed, does that connect to bottom of air filter box

Hi and thanks for a response, I really just want to add it to see if it actually makes a difference and yes the engine is a stock engine.

So do you know what configuration I would use to install the catch can ?

I have found a pic that might be relevant:

I am looking to just replace the PCV valve but cant seem to find it online.

if running a stock engine, fitting a catch can will have very little, if any, benefit.

interfering with pcv set up will cause you far more problems unless you use filters, in a sealed set up, without elongating the pipe system....in other words, you will need to come up with a complex system, yet not gain any benefit.

if oxygen sensors pick up any amount of unregulated air, will cause idling/mixture problems.

only time you would benefit from a catch can, is if you fit a turbo, as pcv system will also need redesigning.

pcv would be better sourced from Ford, they are reasonably cheap, plus know you will get correct one as number of pcv look same/similar, but are actually different

peter433 likes this

Pcv is a ford only item the system is designed to send the gas back through the air intake to be burned off a catch can will make the car worse as its all a closed loop system using sensors etc replace the pcv and leave it alone you wont get any gains from touching it just a rough running engine