Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's This Noise? (Video Included)

Byr0n

Hi new to the forum, I own a Ford C-Max 2009 Zetec 2.0 Auto, had it about a year, love the car but when I start the engine from cold it does this: (click on image)

th_668DACBE-E035-493F-B3C2-49A44E20F6FB-

After a small drive or when the engine is warm it's normal like this:

th_09AB8DFF-C09A-442F-AA08-BAF58D9B78D2-

Is this normal for other C-Max users or general Fords? It's only done 26,000 miles

Your help is appreciated :)

as this is a CMAX specific question it has been moved to the CMAX section.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesnt sounds too different from mine to be honest, but mine is a diesel... Have you taken it in to a mechanic?

it sounds like a belt tensioner or alternator bearing running dry,but hard to say from just a video.

It doesnt sounds too different from mine to be honest, but mine is a diesel... Have you taken it in to a mechanic?

I got told it sounded like other people's as well but I haven't heard another cmax starting, no not been to mechanic, I do t want to get tricked into something that isn't needed

it sounds like a belt tensioner or alternator bearing running dry.

My immediate impression was stretched chain but there are no reports online of dodgy chains on the cmax, suppose there's always a first. The noise goes after a minute though.

mintalkin is most likely onto something! I wonder if when its heated up after some activity thats causing a bearing to heat up and expand, reducing vibration space and causing it to return to a normal sound.

So it's more and likly the bearing? Is that an expensive fix?

without a proper inspection its difficult to say where the noise is from,you could try and get a bit of spray lubricant into any the bearing points and see if the noise reduces which may point towards the culprit.

without a proper inspection its difficult to say where the noise is from,you could try and get a bit of spray lubricant into any the bearing points and see if the noise reduces which may point towards the culprit.

Ok thanks, are you adamant that the noise isn't normal though for a cmax?

I need to hear another one starting

it could be normal for a cmax, untill another cmax is sorced for comparison i can not say, i am only giving my opion on what the noise COULD be and should be investigated by a mechanic before any work is done.

Ok thanks

If anyone could post a video of there cmax (preferably petrol) starting up I'd be grateful

mines disel and sounds that way so I wont bother posting a video up. Plus you might hear a few swear words from me... dont think anyone at work owns a petrol one.

mines disel and sounds that way so I wont bother posting a video up. Plus you might hear a few swear words from me... dont think anyone at work owns a petrol one.

You recon you could post vid up anyway mate? Might be the closest thing I can get to?

will try do mate, as long as my phone behaves itself I can do :)

will be getting back to the car at lunch will see what I can do.

aww nuts! I forgot to record the noise! I will try and get it done this afternoon! I am going to set a reminder to try and help myself!

sorry byron...

Lol no problem :)

ok I got two video's, one with the engine warm, one with it cold. Unfortunately the hard part begins getting the video's off my phone to the web to link to this thread...

Ok mate you can either upload the to photobucket like I did, it's free to join, or you can simply upload them to YouTube from your phone (depending on what phone you have)

Thanks for doing this appreciate it, I still don't here that rattle as much as mine though, maybe because its a diesel who knows

Maybe but bearing could still be a risk.

Only real diagnosis is to turn then all by hand and locate the rattle