Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Knock / Clunk Souund

kevws77

Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to help on this. I have a 2006 LX Auto and it has developed an issue. I drive to work in the morning (about 13 miles), pull into the car park, and when I reverse into a space and apply the brakes there is a knock/clink sound from the front of the car. Sometimes once and sometimes a quick double knock. Then if I drive forward and apply the brakes same again. The knock only occurs once in reverse and once in drive. I can go backwards and forwards and this keeps happening. Only once in each postion though. Other then that the car seems fine - no issues on the roads or motorways etc. I had the brake pads at the front changed with the service about 1000 miles ago. The knock only started end of last week. I had the Mechanic out that serviced it on Friday and he removed the brakes on both sides, stretched the ant-squal springs to make a tighter fit and put plenty of extra copper slip/grease on them. he could find nothing else wrong. He said that there was a very slight up and down movement of the pads but they had to do this to work properly. The car did very little journeywise over the weekend and I didn't notice anything wrong but had a feeling it would do it once it had had a reasonable journey and everything was warmed up. The brake pads fitted 1000 miles ago were Delphi. Has anyone else here had anything similar or may be able to help please? Many thanks.

my mk1 is doing this seems to becoming from front passenger side, I to have just had discs and pads changed.

my mk1 is doing this seems to becoming from front passenger side, I to have just had discs and pads changed.

It is a strange one. One mechanic tells me that the pads should move, and another I contacted says they shouldn't. I am not sure if this knock/clunk happens when the car is cool (ie first thing or has been switched off all day - if it does then it must be very quiet). Only really noticeable after a reasonable journey and some higher speeds have occured. If it's the brakes bedding in when it's warmed up then fine, just worried incase it's something else - a loose bolt on a support bar or something - but seems ironic that it happens a little while after having the pads changed. I will see what happens over the next few days and go from there. Does anyone know how long it would take pads to "bed in"?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club