Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost 1.0 Tuning Possibilities = More Powerrrr!!!!

domo85

Looks good but still on two minds between bluefin n this chip thing I've always been told a remap is better

I was always told a remap was better but it just depends on your situation, I had a remap prior and had hassle putting it back to standard to sell.

Like I've always said a good remap can get a few more bhp than the tuning box if they know exactly what they are doing but I don't like the fact it can be harder and costly to remove if you want to sell the car or take it in for warranty work and even if your not worried about your warranty it can be overwritten when ever you take your car in by updates and you have to take it back again to get the remap put back on (which again could cost if you haven't got free lifetime replacement guarantee for the remap). The tuning box just made more sense as a good alternative for what I wanted and I only have to pay £30 for the correct harness to take the box with me to my next car instead of a whole new remap so I have cheap remaps on any car for life if I wanted :P

But I don't blame anyone who goes for a remap just make sure you get a lifetime remap replacement guarantee and I recommend you see examples of prior remaps on your car to make sure they know what they are doing and claiming.

I'm in the same two minds, pretty sure the spider box is 30% with a discount code I saw on here at the moment though... Makes the choice harder!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah there's a Ford Owners Club discount code - FOC30 - which gets 30% of everything on their site, the £199 Spider Tuning box I have isn't directly advertised for my car engine (mine was originally connected to the Giulietta for over a year prior) but because any box fits any car they sent me the increase data and a free harness (because I had then purchased the Performance Pack for the Giulietta) I just hooked it up and it recalibrated and relearnt the Fiesta. The Tuning Box on my ecoboost 125 gives 155bhp/234nm compared to the performance packs 163bhp/264nm of the performance pack but with the 30% off code is only £140 (just make sure you message Spider itself to confirm your car and engine if it's not already on the site and they will send you the correct harness and instructions to fit to your engine).

'' any box fits any car '' does this mean the settings within the box are not personalised to the specific engine ?

There are quite a few remapping firms that let you remove and reapply your maps (superchips /bluefin ) being one of them. You don't have issues with losing your map as it's held on the handset. Bluefin also provide free upgrade maps when / if there released.

Mountune on the other hand don't let you remove the map and this can be lost if overwritten but they are Ford approved so don't need to be removed for warranty work or services.

Any ecu updates are catered for by Mountune / ford so keep your remap.

• Like 1

Worth mentioning that the Mountune 165 remap is not warranty friendly..

Worth mentioning that the Mountune 165 remap is not warranty friendly..

That's true. The hardware is warranty friendly but the map is not.

Mountune offer a 12 month warranty with the map.

Bluefin guys are quick to reply to emails and upload new maps for me after I had updates done by ford , all done in a few hours.

There support has reaffirmed my decision to go the bluefin way.

a proper remap is still the best way to go if you deviate from standard intakes/cats/exhausts/intercoolers

'' any box fits any car '' does this mean the settings within the box are not personalised to the specific engine ?

They have ActivScan technology they call it where it calibrates the box to the engine when you first connect it and leave it idle and then during the next 30 or so miles it does nothing but learns the engine to monitor how the engine runs, what it's safe limits are and then creates the best maps for your car. Then depending what mode you set it too it is contiously monitoring your driving needs and outputs the maximum you've set it too when you put your foot down or adjusts the map to be more economical when you don't. So it's never like there's your map hope you like it because that's what we've programmed. It's quite a clever system really that adjusts to your needs quickly on the fly.

It would be interesting to see dyno sheet with and without spider.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see dyno sheet with and without spider.

Know anyone closeby who's willing to dyno? because so would I :D

The pull and exceleration are greatly increased from stop starts and also out of corners and it definetly cruises much easier with the extra torque but it would be nice to put definite figures to the increase. Sadly I know from past experience (had some mates into tuning and a few places to dyno when I lived in the north east) that they would take the same car with the same tuning to different dynos and got different results so it's hard to get a perfect true figure. Although as long as you use the same dyno for a before the tune and after (and the ambient temperature aren't massively different) you can get a pretty accurate figure for the actual increases.

Definitely if someone's got a dyno and willing to put my car up, I'm very interested, should be fun :D

Probably stupid question, have the 125 ecoboost engine in my focus, am awaiting a reply from them but is the spider box for the 125 fiesta the same? Im assuming is the connectors? Any way the performance box is slightly more than the spider?

Probably stupid question, have the 125 ecoboost engine in my focus, am awaiting a reply from them but is the spider box for the 125 fiesta the same? Im assuming is the connectors? Any way the performance box is slightly more than the spider?

I can't 100% guarantee it but they are supposed to be the exact same engine and give the exact same outputs 123bhp and 125lbs/ft (200nm) with the same turbo (just different kerb weight). These two images of the engine look identical:

Focus ecoboost 125:

harga-new-ford-fiesta.jpg

Fiesta ecoboost 125

fiesta_ecoboost_125.jpg

One way to be sure is speak to there live support(bottom right of the site, they are pretty quick) or as you said you've already messaged them and they will sort you out the exact product/harness you need :)

Yeah there is a perfomance difference between the spider box (155ps / 235nm) and performance box (163ps / 265nm), also the performance box adjusts boost too to give you a bit more boost from your turbo and now they have the bluetooth feauture to control all this on the fly from your mobile. I have the Spider box on my fiesta currently and it makes a big difference if you go for that but the above is the additions you get with the performance box. Remember the 30% off Forum Code, makes either box more than worth it :)

I've got reply from:

Superchips- The bluefin doesn't comply with Fiesta Ecoboost Powershift gearbox

Spider - "We have no issues on transmission of any car."

I live in Malaysia, the spec here is 125hp, 170nm Powershift Gear Box. I have contacted the local Ford Authorized workshop, there is a password to unlock the ECU. So would they find out if I have a aftermarket remap ECU plugged in?

Mountune is my ideal, but Ford Malaysia don't admit the warranty.

I am very confused. Appreciate if anyone here can elabroate more. Cheers.

Spider do push all over there site that it their boxes work with any transmission, a mate of mine has one in his Audi A5 Automatic (S-Tronic I believe they call their automatic) and it works great.

The spider doesn't touch the ECU as it plugs into sensors and just overides default settings when needed but doesn't store anything on the ECU that it leaves no trace it was ever there once removed, I remove mine when taking it in for MOT's / service & Warranty work and no ones noticed a thing, so your warranty is fine as it can be simply removed and goes strait back to default :)

Where does the spider box plug into ? Fuel & air sensors ?

Where does the spider box plug into ? Fuel & air sensors ?

I'm not great at knowing everything on engines I pick up as I go along but I know from others using them on the Alfa Forum it depends on the engine I as there is a single connection harness, a double connection harness & triple connection harness I've seen people recieve, but I'm sure the air pressure sensor is one.

This is the two locations where the double connector harnes connects to my ecoboost 125 engine:

fiesta_ecoboost_125_copy.jpg

What would these two sensors be?

Do spider show you where to fit the harness I have the 1.5 150ps

I'm not familiar with the ecoboost engine , I ask because I'm wondering how this box truly works if it only alters fuel & air ratios to increase bhp & torque as there are a lot of other parameters that must be measured to ensure safe engine operation.

• Like 1

Do spider show you where to fit the harness I have the 1.5 150ps

Yeah they have great quick support if you get stuck but they send you visual aided instructions that I've managed to do it on my own two different cars and changing a tyre is as much manual experience I have with a car lol

I think someone else with your engine was asking Maybe speak to their live chat support now and ask for the instructions to fit it before buying so you can see and ask any questions: http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/

I'm not familiar with the ecoboost engine , I ask because I'm wondering how this box truly works if it only alters fuel & air ratios to increase bhp & torque as there are a lot of other parameters that must be measured to ensure safe engine operation.

I've only just found out the Performance Pack can also adjusts the boost on the turbos slightly to give a bit more where the spider box doesn't touch the turbos and they use the same harness so I assume they have technology within the box that monitors and controls more than just what the cheap tuning boxes adjust as they also say on diesels they are monitoring many things to make sure performance is increased with no black (soot) smoke emitted. I've had no black smoke on my diesel no matter how much of a foot down blast I've given it which I've seen exmples of cheap tuning boxes and bad remaps causing. I'm assuming it's just (anti) black magic lol :P

• Like 1

Hi SNG,

Thanks for the info. I found out the spec of the gearbox from getrag. 6DCT 250, Max torque 280nm

http://www.getrag.com/en/products/powershift/powershift.html

Is the Spider Box same with performance box (different hp and nm) are they same price? Where to find the 30% discount code?

Cheers.

Hi SNG,

Thanks for the info. I found out the spec of the gearbox from getrag. 6DCT 250, Max torque 280nm

http://www.getrag.com/en/products/powershift/powershift.html

Is the Spider Box same with performance box (different hp and nm) are they same price? Where to find the 30% discount code?

Cheers.

Hi,

Yeah that can be a worry and the reason I bought my original Spider Box over the Performance Pack for the Giulietta as my gear box was rated at 380nm (which is what the box gave) but then I craved in and needed a second box as was getting the Fiesta as a second car anyway and went for the performance box which is rated 418nm. Because you only get the rated figures if your on the max setting so you can limit it and I realised your never really using that much torque during normal driving anyway and it's only like less than 10% of the time when you have your foot to the floor. Also aslong as you are not constantly got your foot resting on the clutch and you are dropping down a gear rather than putting your foot down from low speeds in high gears to speed up, clutch slip shouldn't be an issue.

[edit] sorry just read again that it's the automatic you have which you have no real contol over the clutch[/edit]

Obviously if it's a worry stick to lower settings or the Tuning Box over the Performance Pack, the 30% off forum code is FOC30 which you enter as a coupon code at the basket page.

Referring to the pic dispalyed on Spider website, there are Eco Mode F1,2,3,4 and Racemood- Adaptive, preboost T0,30,60,90. What do they mean?

Cheers.

Just putting this out there. I had Bluefin on my 100ps model, and it caused the gearbox to fail. The synchros for 1st and 2nd (same synchro) failed and had to be replaced. I took the map off and ford repaired it under warranty (they didn't know it had been mapped). Not too long again, 4th gear started to crunch when going in at high loads, like joining the motorway and going through the gears, so that synchro was on its way out. I've sold the car to a garage now and bought an ST instead.

I know some of you will blame my driving, or say it's a weak box, but another member on this site has PM'd me with the exact same issues caused by a remap. Personally i believe there is too much torque going into the box, the red/black edition has torque limiters i believe. Some on here have had great results with remaps and had no reliability issues, but just be warned. I mean, how much in total would it cost to have the box stripped down and new synchros installed?

Just my experience. YMMV.

Hi Paddywhack,

Were you referring to the manual or powershift gearbox? As replied from Bluefin, they don't support powershift gearbox. If it happens on the manual gearbox, I think I will not consider any remap. The cost to the gearbox would definitely cost me a fortune.

Cheers.

Glynn had his around Europe even went on nurburgring and everywhere with his bluefin so his went through the paces and his was fine a think paddy is just the unlucky 1% or less that have had the issue and superchips remap have a 1yr warranty anyway

Referring

to the pic dispalyed on Spider website, there are Eco Mode F1,2,3,4 and

Racemood- Adaptive, preboost T0,30,60,90. What do they mean?

Cheers.

Glad you asked as I asked them that same question when the new site went up live. They explained:

Adaptive

- just lets the box decide when and where to adjust anything and decide

on whether to give any more boost or what the warm up time should be

before giving any extra power when you first start up after alot of down

time (cold engine).

Eco mode - designed to give the best economy with some perfromance.

F1 - F4 - Fast Road stages gives a bit more power at each higher numbered setting.

Race mode - designed to give the full tuning power but the map is designed to bring the power in higher up the range and last longer for fast driving.

Pre Boost - turns on or off any extra turbo boost (if the conditions are right to do so) more boost lower down and overboost if possible.

T0 - T90 - Rather than the box decide when is best the engines had time to warm up enough before applying any tuning from cold, you can maually set 0 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds or 90 seconds delay before the tuning kicks in.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club