Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Help With Car Failure

Trigger918

Hi everybody, I'm brand new to this site. I have a problem with my car. It's a 2004 Mondeo 130 TDCi.

The problem is that it just wont start! I got in it this morning to go to work, turned the key and it started to turn over but then just died completely as if the battery was flat. All other electronics in the car seem to be in good working order, apart form the digital temperature gauge which reads 52 degrees. I did notice that the car was starting a fraction of a second slower than normal the past couple of days. I'm a complete novice when it comes to any kind of car repairs, so just wondered if anybody could help me? I do plan on getting an acquaintance to look at it today if possible, but I would prefer to sound at least a little in the know when he comes to look at it, because he knows full well that I wont understand the problem, and will probably try to charge me way over the odds haha. I'm now having to take time off work until it is fixed. Stupidly I didn't renew my breakdown cover last month because I hadn't used it in the year prior (typical). So I have renewed it today, but obviously the cover doesn't start until 24 hours after breakdown.

Thank you in advance, your knowledge is much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forums David,

Sounds like your battery is flat and possibly past it's best.

The electronics will appear to work ok as they draw less power from the battery. Where as the starter draws a huge amount of power and causes quite a big voltage drop.

The way I explain it is like this,

You can join 8x AA batteries together to get 12v which will power lights and small electronics but you won't start a car with them.

I suggest you try charging the battery or having it tested if you can and go from there

Thank you stef123 for the fast reply, I'll take that into consideration.

Update

I just went outside to try and start it again, when the car fails to start and I release the key, the glow plug light is flashing at me. Does this indicate anything else? Or is it still most likely to just be the battery?

Thank you.

Thank you stef123 for the fast reply, I'll take that into consideration.

Update

I just went outside to try and start it again, when the car fails to start and I release the key, the glow plug light is flashing at me. Does this indicate anything else? Or is it still most likely to just be the battery?

Thank you.

Is it turning over on the starter?

I know you're going to think I'm an absolute moron but what does turning over on the starter mean? The best way I can explain it is the car seems to want to start when I first turn the key, I can hear the usual noises it makes when starting, however a couple seconds later and it just dies out slowly as if the battery is flat. Then when I release the key, all of the needles on the dials go right to the end and back to the start again, followed by the glow plug light flashing at me. I do apologise for the ambiguity in what I say, but I genuinely don't know anything when it comes to cars. (I work in a primary school)

This really does sound like a flat battery mate, it can cause the dials to go mad and flashing lights on the dash and that with the usual noises stopping after a few seconds backs this up.

Okay then thank you. I'm just praying that it isn't anything serious. Is it possible to purchase one of those diagnostic readers from any stores? Or are they only available from the internet?

I have just learned how to do the dashboard diagnostic for my car. When going through the different stages I come to the battery, and it reads bat-119. I have no idea what this should be reading, or if this dashboard diagnostic is even any kind of reliable method. Any advice? I appreciate you have already told me that the battery seems to be dead, but I just like to try and cover every angle be I go off spending money on things.

Thank you in advance.

I know I'm being a pest but I have another update.

I have managed to get hold of a Cougar Car Code Reader, the diagnostic reports that there are no DTC's. The car isn't starting though, is it safe to assume that it really is just the battery?

Could I switch the battery with my partner's car and see if mine starts and her car doesn't?

You could switch the batteries to see if it starts, unless you know someone with a multimeter? Measure the voltage across the battery web you try to start.

If you do need to buy a new battery make sure that it's a lead calcium or silver calcium type. Do not fit a standard lead acid of you will end up with problems.

Have you got breakdown cover? They should be able to load test your battery.

Turned out it was the battery as far as I can tell. I brought a new battery, replaced it and everything seems fine. I ran a diagnostic again with two different fault finders, with the new battery, and still no faults are being reported.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Turned out it was the battery as far as I can tell. I brought a new battery, replaced it and everything seems fine. I ran a diagnostic again with two different fault finders, with the new battery, and still no faults are being reported.

Thank you for your help!

You will be amazed what problems a low voltage can cause with electronics.

Glad to hear your running again, happy motoring.

• Like 1

I have missed this one, I would advise that its possibly worth while buying a cheap starter pack for future "just in case" hopefuily the battery wasnt too expensive...

accompanied also by the continuous clicking noise of the glove box / fuse box area...