Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil Light Illuminated

jlb141289

hi everyone, im a new member so not completely sure how the site works yet so bear with me. I've recently bought a 2002 reg mk1 focus and when i bought it the engine oil light was illunminated, naturally i checked the oil level and it was low so i topped it up and the light went out. after driving it for a couple of days the light came back on and made me think there might possibly be an oil leak, however, after giving the car a good look over i cant find anything and the oil level is actually between the min and max levels on the dipstick so im a little lost as to what could be wrong. I did think it might be beacuse the oil is the wrong type but after double checking in the manual i have used the correct type. does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? sorry about the long essay thanks jason

Sounds like the oil switch, this is the sensor that detects when the oil is low and puts the light on, it could be faulty. This would be the first port of call for me. Not sure were it is located on your car though.

The oil pressure warning switch is mounted flywheel end of the engine by the vacuum pump.

To make it easier to get to the switch you may need to partially disassemble the air cleaner inlet duct, hoses and crankcase ventilation system oil separator from the left hand side of the cylinder head.

Unplug the cables and unscrew the switch, some oil may leak out.

On refitting use a suitable thread sealant on the switch and tighten to 21 ft. lbs.(29 Nm) with a torque wrench.

DSC_0131.jpg

thanks for the replies, has helped a lot especially with the picture, i have a haynes manual myself which ive been flicking through to try and discover what it might have been, but ive been unsuccessful so far. Hopefully i will be able to rectify soon cheers

Here's hoping its just the sensor playing up and not the first sign of the oil pump failing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club