Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Reprogram Push Button Start Remote

mondyman

i have searched and searched for a solution.i replaced the battery in my remote its a focus titanium 2010 push button start.

the remote no longer opens closes the doors,the other remote needs a new battery according to the dash warning information screen. but still opens/locks doors etc.

life was simple when all you had to do was put the key in the ignition and turn it four or so time and press the remote buttons.

helpppppp pulling my hair out. how do you program this remote.

I think you have two options

If you have this type of key you have to do a manual ignition barrel turn to enable the programming phase-

emergencystartprocedurefordkeyless.jpg

If you have this type of key then I believe you have to do the same procedure but there is a plastic cap over the ignition barrel you have to remove first then use the metal key blade in the back of the fob. (the T shaped end of the key blade pushes into the notches where the blade comes out of it's storage compartment so that it sits at 90 degrees to the fob)

1732005-1732005.jpg

Either way I believe this is the routine you need to do-

1. Switch Ignition from ) to II 4 times (but don't start car) within 6 seconds until a sound is made.
2. Press any button on Remote until a sound is made or indicator lights flash.
3. To program extra Remotes, repeat after 2 seconds after the sound.
4. Turn Ignition On/Off to exit.
  • Like 1

thank you stoney871 for taking the trouble to reply.i have the first key type that you show.

on removing the

outer cover over the ignition switch,there is a plastic cover with a slot for the key to go in.this is the emergency start,place key in and push start button.i have added a photo.

post-390-0-87512800-1366454275_thumb.jpg

the key will not turn in this slot,and there dosent seem to be any way of removing the cover without breaking it .

thanks for your help dean

thank you stoney871 for taking the trouble to reply.i have the first key type that you show.

on removing the

outer cover over the ignition switch,there is a plastic cover with a slot for the key to go in.this is the emergency start,place key in and push start button.i have added a photo.

attachicon.gif20130420_103759.jpg

the key will not turn in this slot,and there dosent seem to be any way of removing the cover without breaking it .

on removing the

which cover are you refering to? tha cap over ignition barrel? if that it should easily come off, also the key is not meant to turn in ign barrel,thats why you have the power start button, you may have a fuse or relay blown.as i noticed when i went to test drive my new car 2010 titanium, it was a fuse or relay in engine bay.

thanks for the interest yunus,

my first post explains my problem as being unable to program my remote key fob after installing

a new battery.i have no problem starting the car.

thanks

on removing the

Hi. from what i just read via ford etis, the key wont turnin the barrel unless you push the clutch pedal down, this releases the electronic steering lock. You should then be able to turn the key to position II, and it should reactivate the key your trying to program back to the car.

Following on If that,s no good you could try this procedure also via ford etis.

1. NOTE: A maximum of eight keyless entry remote transmitters can be programmed to the Central Junction Box (CJB). Programming must be done at the same time for all the transmitters.

• NOTE: To enter programming mode, first make sure that the vehicle battery is fully charged and the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered (if equipped).

• NOTE: Make sure the turn signal indicators are in the OFF position.

Fasten the safety belts and close all doors to make sure conflicting chimes do not sound during programming.

2. NOTE: The ignition must be turned to position II exactly four times during remote transmitter programming.

Turn the ignition switch from position I to position II four times exactly within six seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to position 0.

4. An audible chime will be heard (only in vehicles built before 2008 model year) to indicate that it is now possible to programme the keys for ten seconds.

5. Press and hold one of the buttons on the remote transmitter until a chime sounds. This indicates a new transmitter code has been successfully received.

6. To program additional transmitters, repeat step 5.

7. The system will leave the learning mode after the ignition switch is turned to either position II, or if no new transmitter is programmed during the 10 seconds, or if eight remote transmitters have been programmed.

Following on If that,s no good you could try this procedure also via ford etis.

1. NOTE: A maximum of eight keyless entry remote transmitters can be programmed to the Central Junction Box (CJB). Programming must be done at the same time for all the transmitters.

• NOTE: To enter programming mode, first make sure that the vehicle battery is fully charged and the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered (if equipped).

• NOTE: Make sure the turn signal indicators are in the OFF position.

Fasten the safety belts and close all doors to make sure conflicting chimes do not sound during programming.

2. NOTE: The ignition must be turned to position II exactly four times during remote transmitter programming.

Turn the ignition switch from position I to position II four times exactly within six seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to position 0.

4. An audible chime will be heard (only in vehicles built before 2008 model year) to indicate that it is now possible to programme the keys for ten seconds.

5. Press and hold one of the buttons on the remote transmitter until a chime sounds. This indicates a new transmitter code has been successfully received.

6. To program additional transmitters, repeat step 5.

7. The system will leave the learning mode after the ignition switch is turned to either position II, or if no new transmitter is programmed during the 10 seconds, or if eight remote transmitters have been programmed.

ive bought a keyfree remote for spare,can this be programmed this way or dealer only? as of forum member mentioned.

yunii

ive bought a keyfree remote for spare,can this be programmed this way or dealer only? as of forum member mentioned.

yunii

On anything after a Mk1.5 Focus you have to get new keys programmed into the ECU using an IDS module.

A competent auto locksmith will be able to do this in minutes.

actually, i've a mate working in service at local dealers is gnna do it for me taking car to work one satureday morning.so will save £50 issh.

yunii

• 1 year later...

I just did mine partially using the info on this thread and other areas of the internet. Mine is 58 plate c max 2.0 zetec tdci

start at the off position

off to on (II) 4 times within 6 seconds THEN BACK TO ON II POSITION FOR A FIFTH TIME AND LEAVE IT AT II

Press a button on the remote and click. Because the ignition is on it won't operate. So turn off, remove key and bang working. battery flat in original controller ;)

• 1 month later...

Ok. So there is a solution for cars which allow the ignition barrel to be turned, but what about the cars where the barrel doesn't rotate. And that is not because is jammed or steering wheel is blocked. It's just because it's not suppose to rotate.

My 60 plate Focus S doesn't have the option to rotate the key in the ignition, it doesn't even have markings 0, I or II

Does anybody know how to program a key for this type of cars?

Thanks for feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, believe it or now here is what I have found up to now:

Not all the cars will allow rotation of the ignition using the key (mine Focus S 60 plate doesn't) so the only way to do it is to take the car to a Ford dealer. It cost me £35.

The problem I had: one morning I found that my house alarm (retrofitted) Yale had a amber light on. I suspected one of the sensors batteries was ending its life so I ignore it. Soon as I went out of the house and tried to unlock the car doors I found it was not working hence I suspected that changing the key (remote) battery will solve the problem, but it didn't so I started to look on internet for a solution.

I have also found form the manual that this issue can be caused by the signal between the Car and the Key being jammed. From same manual I found that "electronic devices like mobile phones,.... home alarms can cause malfunction of the key/car"

Few days later I had a friend visiting (BMW) and he experince some issues connecting his phone bluetooth to the car; same issue with his wife phone.

So how I solved the problem?

I have changed the house alarm battery with a new one and took the car to the dealer. They said they did't know what caused the issue but a computer reset using they equipment solved the problem.

My conclusion is clear: the house alarm had interfered with the car jamming the signal as per instruction manual of the car.

It sounds ridiculous I know but I can not find a better explanation. If is true I'm astonished that a car and a house alarm can cause all this hustle. What if I would have been in the middle of nowhere with no access to phone, internet, etc...

I posted this in case somebody will find it useful.

I do know is to keep car remote seprrately to any other devices like mobiles in your pocket seperately .maybe in a different pocket like i do as it can interfere somehow.i'm glad you sorted it out.

Yunii

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the info - my S Max keyless fob battery needs replacing. Was hesitant as unsure how to re-program.

Info on here helpful, will give it a go.

Thanks

Hi,

Just changed the battery in the fob. Still getting "Key battery low" msg.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS I have a 2011 S Max with keyless entry.

Have you tried the second key to see if you get the same message?

Hello Stoney, just checked and same message on 2nd key.

I've not as yet done anything with the battery in the 2nd.

Thanks

Hey guys, think this is an appropriate place to put this little update

Seems the folks over at forscan have finally added PATs programming, in a limited capacity at least.

You need an extended licence which is free, but getting that allows you to add new keys, no more trips to Ford for that little job!

I'm going to get a new key cut and give it ago shortly

• 4 months later...

I think you have two options

If you have this type of key you have to do a manual ignition barrel turn to enable the programming phase-

emergencystartprocedurefordkeyless.jpg

If you have this type of key then I believe you have to do the same procedure but there is a plastic cap over the ignition barrel you have to remove first then use the metal key blade in the back of the fob. (the T shaped end of the key blade pushes into the notches where the blade comes out of it's storage compartment so that it sits at 90 degrees to the fob)

1732005-1732005.jpg

Either way I believe this is the routine you need to do-

1. Switch Ignition from ) to II 4 times (but don't start car) within 6 seconds until a sound is made.
2. Press any button on Remote until a sound is made or indicator lights flash.
3. To program extra Remotes, repeat after 2 seconds after the sound.
4. Turn Ignition On/Off to exit.

Has anyone successfully found a procedure for programming their Ford smart key used for keyless ignition?

I have an unprogammed spare smart key, and I can't see how you can program it without taking it to Frauds.

The iginition barrel under the cover on the steering coloumn is just a plastic cage for holding the unprogrammed key in, it does not turn so can not "turn ignition from position 0 to II".

I have a spare programmed key. It looks like that is all you need to program a newer 4 button smart keys for the 2014 Fords! But I guess the 4 button smart keys are not compatible with the 2007-2014 Mondeo ECU?

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I had this same problem a couple months ago, i had to buy a new steering lock tumbler and proper break-away bolts, the parts only ran me 150,and programmed it with the help of Sunrise Locksmith and they do not cost me any money for reprogramming.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just did this for my wife's Focus Zetec (2008).

Did the barrel turn and the new key programmed a treat. However, the new key only unlocks/locks the car but will not start it (looks like the immobiliser is engaged).

To explain what I mean, as the key is in two parts, I combined the new remote with the old key. Therefore it is the right shape to turn in the ignition.

I'm guessing it needs the right transponder which the new remote mustn't have or that it needs to be programmed?

How would one go about programming it?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if u have pressed the keys while in my pocket but my boot no longer opens when I walk up to it every other door is fine using the keyless entry. Will reprogramming fix this ? Thanks.  

• 3 years later...

How do I reprogramme a keyless fob with push start ignition only? Can’t find anything in the manual. It says key not recognised.