Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

Hi Darren,

The exhaust gas passes through the EGR valve and onto the cooler, the heat exchange here gets the heat into the coolant and out through its normal cooling processes, the exhaust gas is cooled down and reinjected in order to try and kill off the extra bad bits that the EU are trying to save the world from being killed by. The exhaust gas is then transferred back out through the exhaust, but to my knowledge it does not come out as hot as its first pass, which causes some issues on the DPF.

However, the DPF in the 2009 is the cDPF (Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filter) this is a life long DPF (or so claim Ford) that manages entirely by self regeneration, requires no EOLYS fluid, and no maintenance (i.e. no change every 60k miles as on the MK2. So the more heat you chuck out, the easier it is for the car to clean itself.

The EGR blank does a lot more good than bad, it helps the turbo spool more easily, reduces engine workload, improve efficiency and contrary to the EU's popular belief, does not single handedly save the planet, its people and the goldfish that inhabit it. In fact, I would not be surprised if the carcinogenics that are going to kill us all are reduced by the fact that the EGR is disabled. As I look at it this way...

If you recycle the exhaust gas and reinject it, then you need to up the fuel level to keep the balance right, so your injecting more fuel to do the same job. Whereas when you blank it, the engine uses only the fuel it needs (hence the MPG increase after blanking) - so its now reduced the cack its putting out because its not throwing half as much in.

The engine is throwing out more heat into the exhaust to deal with the soot, the DPF is coping better because the car isnt having to throw more heat into the mix to get the exhaust gas hot enough to actually allow regeneration, so again there is no where near as much fuel being used. It takes pressure off the electric system because the fan isnt having to be spun up to keep the engine cool during regeneration, so its taking load off the electrical systems. The car is more responsive, so you dont need to put your foot down as much to get where you need to be, so your not wasting fuel.

The entire EGR argument is one I think that the EU Nuts thought "ooooh that sounds good, lets enforce it" (much like the whole Kym Jong Un "I like my haircut so every man must do it") but nobody seems to have ever thought what problems it causes!

All in all, its worht doing (if not just to stick your middle finger up at the man in the suit in the EU dictatorship) but it will help the car in many ways, and the DPF should not be a problem. I have been on this forum for a few years now (4.5) and in that time I have seen countless "My DPF has packed in" on the MK2 Focus, but I have yet to see anyone say that on a MK2.5 the same thing has happened :)

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for clearing that up, im up for giving Mr EU man the finger over the EGR, would have ripped the whole DPF system out too if it was no longer an MOT fail.

The car is a MK2.5 but unfortunately it straddled the time between the stage IV+Early DPF and Stage V (with the ceramic ones) and got lumped with the Stage IV, I had its additive filled up before I got it but the state of the filter is an unknown so wasn't wanting to make it worse with the EGR plate, the previous owner lived and worked in Stranraer which is the back end of no where so probably didn't boot it once a week for decent amount of time, backed up by the lack of miles he ran it for over the years, im not really sure whats best.

Love the fact that the people who come up with these stupid ideas never have to worry themselves with them going wrong as they buy new and sell them off before they hit 50k leaving folk who cant buy new to pic up the cost of their mess! happy days.

appreciate your time

that is bad news on the DPF front! To be fair, although its technically an MOT fail, its probably not a bad idea to consider its removal. Most the time they just check visually to make sure that its not been removed, but if they gut it and leave the Shell its fine.

No one has as of yet come back and said they failed the MOT due to the removal. Look at it this way, they cant disassemble the car, so the best they can do is look - is the chamber still there? if it is, then they cant strip it out and check if there is something in there, they might tap and here if its empty, but if the Shell is in, then its done. Best case scenario, you spend £300 or so getting it removed and you fly through the MOT, worst case, you spend £300, fail the MOT, buy a cheap and crappy DPF filter, open the weld, fit the filter (or gutless version) and re-weld. Now when they tap, they here somethings in there and they pass the MOT.

Yup, tell me about it, I think ill go ahead with the EGR anyway there are too many benefits to not do it and i just found new DPF filters for couple of hundred quid so worst case I can get one sooner rather than wait and keep it in storage until I work out how to change it myself and with a bit of luck before it packs in!

its a pain in the backside job to replace it, and you need to continue to get the EOLYS fluid topped up (theres apparently a JML kit that you can use) but its a nuisance.

If I was you personally, and knowing that its illegal, if I was looking at a £1000 bill from Ford, or, I was looking at a £300 removal, I would do the removal. I would then put it in for MOT and if it fails, plead ignorance, take the car away and get someone to just chuck a DPF dilter on there so it looks present, then get the MOT passed, and remove it.

A local indie garage might charge you 30 minutes labour for the effort, so for £40 to get your car through an MOT and then to remove it after, you could be laughing...

its a pain in the backside job to replace it, and you need to continue to get the EOLYS fluid topped up (theres apparently a JML kit that you can use) but its a nuisance.

If I was you personally, and knowing that its illegal, if I was looking at a £1000 bill from Ford, or, I was looking at a £300 removal, I would do the removal. I would then put it in for MOT and if it fails, plead ignorance, take the car away and get someone to just chuck a DPF dilter on there so it looks present, then get the MOT passed, and remove it.

A local indie garage might charge you 30 minutes labour for the effort, so for £40 to get your car through an MOT and then to remove it after, you could be laughing...

Id just like to add some information to this:

The dpf removal is now a visual inspection on the MOT,

Most dpf removal places choose to remove the dpf and replace it with a regular straight pipe,

Avoid this method at all cost because it will surly fail.

What your seeking is "dpf internal removal"

You need to get the dpf chamber cut open on the factory weld,

Get the top filter which is the dpf removed via hammer and chisel,

Leave the cat in there,

Weld it back up on the factory weld,

Refit to car connecting all pipes,

This way everything is completly factory and will pass

• Like 1

Everyone should get lenny to do this job. Long skinny arms lol ftw

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Everyone should get lenny to do this job. Long skinny arms lol ftw

i cant do work like this anymore mate,

I'm currently attending a chiropractor twice a week to realign my spine,

Two vertebra are closing down on each other, disc is wearing away allowing the vertebra close down on the nerve,

like a ham sandwich no butter, disc being the butter, ham being the nerve,

Constant pain past 8 weeks except for the 48hrs after he burreys his knee in my spine,

I'm attending twice a week for the duration of a month at 42 euro per visit,

check my build thread for full story. Doctor says its repedative strain injury an( im at stage 2,

I reckon its been caused by too much ridin (S.E.X) been ridin more years than ive been workin :lol:

Life is pretty short yo.

This is D end,

My only friend D end,

"ill never blank an E G R again"

When i did my blanking plate i removed the studs that held the fuel filter in and slid the filter up in its holder till it came out and pushed it to one side, i inserted the blanking plate from that side, there's plenty of space when u move the filter out of the way.

And also on DPF's i am lucky my card does not have 1, when i went to get my car remapped there was a pug before me to be done, this car had the exhaust split at the front and the DPF internals drilled out with a big !Removed! drill, then the car was remapped and the DPF was mapped out so that it would give no more trouble, so that's another option and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone that way.

• Like 1

Oh I'm sorry lenny, that sounds painful just reading it bud. Terrible news mate :- / probably a good time to warn the kids not to jump on your back in the mornings lenny lol

• Like 1

Oh I'm sorry lenny, that sounds painful just reading it bud. Terrible news mate :- / probably a good time to warn the kids not to jump on your back in the mornings lenny lol

+1 or when i come in the door from work lol

Feels like a tooth ache on lower left side of my spine,

Tablets make no difference as is terrible hearing the spine crack with the other lad on my back

he says " breath in big deep breath"

"now blow out, all the way out"

And just as im completly exhaled you get the knee down on ya lol

I was in the waiting room could hear this bang every 30 seconds.

I thought it was a door banging in the wind lol

10 minutes later i found out what it was lmao it was him

Overall though the guy is a complete ledgened and id be lost without him,

Very professional and has saved me further complications,

Sorry to have gone off topic all,

Back on track.

• Like 1

When i did my blanking plate i removed the studs that held the fuel filter in and slid the filter up in its holder till it came out and pushed it to one side, i inserted the blanking plate from that side, there's plenty of space when u move the filter out of the way.

Thanks for this feedback - I was wondering if that might improve access - glad to hear it dies, have just ordered my second plate - hopefully I will succeed in getting this one where it belongs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys, an sorry to hear about your back Lenny, ill do some thinking, slapping a new one in would be worry free for the time ill keep this car, gutting the original would be better though, decisions decisions!

As for the EGR plate, ill be doing that shortly with the added step of removing the filter for easy access, hopefully the higher temps / increased pressure will offset the increase in soot deposits in the DPF.

• Like 1

Also i used a womens small make up mirror to be able to see the bolt that holds the EGR cooler otherwise you will be working totally blind, i think its 8mm, not sure now.

I completely removed my EGR valve as well and gave it a good clean out with EGR cleaner, it was a quarter full with carbon deposited, this is probably not necessary for most ppl but mine was malfunctioning.

My car does not even run with the blanking plate in because my EGR valve is knacked and needs replacing, i tried the blanking plate as a cheap fix but it wont help an already malfunctioning EGR vavle, not in my case anyway, so i will run with it unplugged until i get a new 1, incidentally i have seen em on eBay for £88 from transitpartsuk, a genuine part with matching part num, was quoted €260 just for the part here in the ripp off republic.

• Like 1

£88 is a very good price, especially for a genuine part!

• Like 1

Lenny, any idea when your photo bucket allowance starts again? Seems my timing is perfect as usual!

• Like 1

Lenny, any idea when your photo bucket allowance starts again? Seems my timing is perfect as usual!

Its the 10GB Bandwidth has been exceeded on the photobucket account caused by content from my account being download by others which is cool by me as its all there to help, but photobucket want money from those who use there servers the most, as result they want $2.99 to give me 20GB Bandwidth for 30 days,

I expect the clock to reset on 01st July unless someone wants to send me $2.99USD via PayPal and pay the fees i can then reset it immediately,

If required my address is: leonard.woods@live.ie

I am working to eliminate this issue in the future,

Most of my guides are now also available to download in PDF format which doesn't become affected by photobucket at all,

The PDF can be download and printed making it easier to have in hand when following,

The guides that currently have a PDF version carry a link on the first post.

I am currently unable to continue the Post to PDF transition because my laptop has broken thus losing access to Microsoft Word software,

I currently log on using my Android based phone.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused during image down time.

• Like 1

Lenny if you need any further help on the conversions give me a shout, I remember converting and uploading some as pdf files when we created the new guides collections but if I can help let me know

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

No need to appolgise mate, id figured it was just your work being so popular! I'm in no hurry, first of July be fine , plate still a couple of days away. an im also happy to help with PDF conversion if you want.

No need to appolgise mate, id figured it was just your work being so popular! I'm in no hurry, first of July be fine , plate still a couple of days away. an im also happy to help with PDF conversion if you want.

its cool thanks,

I have all the pdf's in uniform with the FOC watermark on pages etc.

Ill get back to it before December, all spending on hold at present getting married August 22nd

• Like 1

Thanks for this feedback - I was wondering if that might improve access - glad to hear it dies, have just ordered my second plate - hopefully I will succeed in getting this one where it belongs.

I can confirm the method of moving the fuel filter out the way is significantly easier! Didnt even need to slack off the EGF cooler tank, there was enough play to simply slide the plate in from the right. Now to test over a long journey; on a short round town run was noticeably more responsive.

Thanks again to Lenny for this excellent guide.

• Like 1

result!

Thats what we like to hear!

• Like 1

I can confirm the method of moving the fuel filter out the way is significantly easier! Didnt even need to slack off the EGF cooler tank, there was enough play to simply slide the plate in from the right. Now to test over a long journey; on a short round town run was noticeably more responsive.

Thanks again to Lenny for this excellent guide.

glad to be of assistance,

I recommend upgrading the induction filter after EGR blanking,

See the guide here for 10% Discount:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/