Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

Why didn't you get a metric socket? Not sure on the actual size of the real world socket but 5/16 is the equivalent of 7.9 mm and the bolt head is 8 mm? The socket needs to be bigger than 8 mm although it would be called an 8 mm socket.

That might not be the actual issue, it is worth using a metric socket on a metric bolt I think.

When I did mine I used normal size sockets not extended ones or anything special but it was metric

• Like 2

My problem is actually funny. The socket just feels loose over the bolt. I even tried different sizes but no luck. The bolt on top of the nut is quite long and I wonder if that is making things difficult. I will have to take it all apart tomorrow after work and see if I can get anywhere. Btw, for anyone doing this, leave the car to cool down for a few hours before attempting this as I nearly got burnt today :P

Why didn't you get a metric socket? Not sure on the actual size of the real world socket but 5/16 is the equivalent of 7.9 mm and the bolt head is 8 mm? The socket needs to be bigger than 8 mm although it would be called an 8 mm socket.

That might not be the actual issue, it is worth using a metric socket on a metric bolt I think.

When I did mine I used normal size sockets not extended ones or anything special but it was metric

It will definitely be metric.

If desired let me know what metric sockets you require Hassan,

I will get them out of my tool box put them in an envelope and dispatch to you tomorrow,

They will arrive to you Thursday morning,

Just return when finished

Save you buying more,

• Like 1

Lenny, you are a star but I think I got it covered. Just not spending time to try it all out properly. I will do that tomorrow and see where I get. My car on the inside is tad bit different than yours but that's just a feeling I get, nothing scientific about that. I think it's coz yours was so nice and clean unlike mine lol.

Thanks for the replies lads. I actually have now both a metric and inch set, which I am sure will come in handy in the future. I was wondering myself why Ford had both metric and inch bolts in the engine bay. Thought that was a bit silly :P

Thankfully the new set I got has both metric and inches. Gonna go round trying them all tomorrow if I get a chance and weather holds up :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies lads. I actually have now both a metric and inch set, which I am sure will come in handy in the future. I was wondering myself why Ford had both metric and inch bolts in the engine bay. Thought that was a bit silly :P

Thankfully the new set I got has both metric and inches. Gonna go round trying them all tomorrow if I get a chance and weather holds up :)

Thats what i did at the time aswell mate,

Went through each socket until i found one thst fits then took note of it for the guide :rolleyes: thats why the guide has both metric and imperial sizes my bad y'all

Got the ides from the German guy whom invented the Condom,

His name was: Itfits goodan-tight

• Like 2

That makes a lot more sense now. I will do so with a bit of time.

The Germans, a funny bunch :P

• Like 2

hey folks, i have a newbie thread posted here,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/49632-new-05-tdci-member-with-issues/

thank you to those of you who posted on there :-) (yes it was a while ago now)

Brilliant thread- just read every single comment and learning a lot about the car. Well done Lenny for the effort and time.

anyhoo, im finally getting round to doing something about my missus cmax- if youve read that thread above youll see im having a few issues! im going to start with the cheapest fixes first to see if i get imporvements.

Ive bought a st st blanking plate to fit at the weekend, and i think ill be taking off the EGR to clean too (if it is seized!)

I bought a wireless obdII reader from the eBay hoping to scan for codes and reset after each 'fix' if you like, for my own trial and error.

One question i did want to ask, given the nature of my fault codes.. if i have a DPF? the codes seem to suggest so, and the loss of power certainly seems to suggest so... its such a funny thing, its such an intermittent problem- does this suggest that some times it is regenerating and then clogging?

I wanted to get some DPF cleaning fluid and ask you folk which you thought was best? Wynnes is usually a good shout right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=dpf+CLEANER&_sop=15

i read somewhere else however that someone else spent £150 on 3 litres of fluid for theirs? im not sure if im missing something here but is that the same sort of cleaning fluid?

Answers much appreciated. Really keen to improve this car to run properly- shouldnt be too much to ask for right? If not ill then have to look into DPF internal surgery. I do plan on getting a green cotton panel filter however for fresh air yo!

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1

I had the 1.6 TDCI Zetec (automatic) and spoke with Ford about this. Ford customer services confirmed that the CMAX MK1 1.6 TDCI does NOT have a DPF, its a Euro 2000 emissions standard which did not require the DPF.

• Like 1

I had the 1.6 TDCI Zetec (automatic) and spoke with Ford about this. Ford customer services confirmed that the CMAX MK1 1.6 TDCI does NOT have a DPF, its a Euro 2000 emissions standard which did not require the DPF.

Ur just special jeebs ...fooc'er

• Like 1

Hi James, yeah you commented on my newbie thread to say that you had been told by ford that you didnt have a DPF, yet when you commented on my error codes im not sure you knew what to think about that... why would my car be throwing out DPF codes if i didnt have one :-(

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but has anyone ever had problems with their fuel guage? the latest error code to come off the dash was the fuel guage not working :-s

• Like 1

Lets pick the conversation up on your CMAX thread matey ;)

• Like 1

The legend that is Lenny, and I seriously mean that, drove all the way from Wexford to Dublin, on his free day to help me out to put the blanking plate into my car as I was having difficulties with it. I cannot thank him enough for doing that and I owe him one for that :)

So, we dismantled the bits as per the guide here and then could have access to the bolts on the egr and the tank on the left. The stubborn bolt in my car was the one on the left holding the tank and after a bit of fiddling around using a small reach 10mm socket, we managed to loosen it. After that, loosened the 2 bolts of egr and wiggled it to have a gap where the blanking plate was inserted. The only hiccup was that the metal gasket got loose as I took one bolt completely out but we managed to save it from falling in the undertray. Then, the bit which helped us a lot, was a suggestion by Clive (Stoney871), which was to use a bit of tape (I used duct tape) to hold the plate down and then gently slide it into place. Me and Lenny felt like idiots after we did this as it was in place but we had forgotten to take a picture. After that, we held the egr into place and then used a long nose pair of pliers to pull the duct tape away from the egr blanking plate. We debated whether to leave the duct tape there but thought it might not be safe.

Here is the picture:

IMG_20140927_160734_zpsjeeelpkw.jpg

After that we reversed the steps and also checked whether we had any fault codes. None and car started no problem. Took it for a short drive and preliminary impressions are that it is so much smoother. No more 1st gear lag, no more big jolt when the turbo kicks in and feels that it pulls through all the gears much smoother. Tomorrow will drive it properly over the motorway and give it a good work out to see if the improvements hold. Also, filled up the tank and with the recent 4 new tyres (1 week old), will see if it makes an improvement on mpg. Watch this space for results :)

Again, thanks a million to Lenny for coming down to help me out. Couldn't have done it without you :)

• Like 2

Once again those brilliantly great long skinny arms of lenny makes another appearance :D

• Like 3

The legend that is Lenny, and I seriously mean that, drove all the way from Wexford to Dublin, on his free day to help me out to put the blanking plate into my car as I was having difficulties with it. I cannot thank him enough for doing that and I owe him one for that :)

So, we dismantled the bits as per the guide here and then could have access to the bolts on the egr and the tank on the left. The stubborn bolt in my car was the one on the left holding the tank and after a bit of fiddling around using a small reach 10mm socket, we managed to loosen it. After that, loosened the 2 bolts of egr and wiggled it to have a gap where the blanking plate was inserted. The only hiccup was that the metal gasket got loose as I took one bolt completely out but we managed to save it from falling in the undertray. Then, the bit which helped us a lot, was a suggestion by Clive (Stoney871), which was to use a bit of tape (I used duct tape) to hold the plate down and then gently slide it into place. Me and Lenny felt like idiots after we did this as it was in place but we had forgotten to take a picture. After that, we held the egr into place and then used a long nose pair of pliers to pull the duct tape away from the egr blanking plate. We debated whether to leave the duct tape there but thought it might not be safe.

Here is the picture:

IMG_20140927_160734_zpsjeeelpkw.jpg

And here is the plate in place:

IMAG2098_zpsdd3cb116.jpg

After that we reversed the steps and also checked whether we had any fault codes. None and car started no problem. Took it for a short drive and preliminary impressions are that it is so much smoother. No more 1st gear lag, no more big jolt when the turbo kicks in and feels that it pulls through all the gears much smoother. Tomorrow will drive it properly over the motorway and give it a good work out to see if the improvements hold. Also, filled up the tank and with the recent 4 new tyres (1 week old), will see if it makes an improvement on mpg. Watch this space for results :)

Again, thanks a million to Lenny for coming down to help me out. Couldn't have done it without you :)

You're too kind Hassen,

I'm happy to spend time working on anything ford related as i find it very therapeutic and the tip from Stoney to apply a tab of duct tape to the side of the plate: allowed the plate to sit correctly first time escalating the process from a therapeutic level to a euphoric level because the plate went directly in to place first time instead of potentially a hour spent trying to sling it in on the top bolt,

As mentioned we failed to take a picture of the blanking plate with the tape attached,

However we did get one of the tape being removed,

To others planning to use tape i would suggest: only use tape which has thread in it such as duct tape or web tape,

If you don't have either of them then use some plasters from a First Aid box,

Avoid using masking tape or electrical tape basically any tape that is likely to separate in to multiple sections when pulled,

And always pull out the tape before tightening home the bolts.

Was an added bonus to see the Lamborghini Huracán while the driver was in the chipper :lol:

Once again those brilliantly great long skinny arms of lenny makes another appearance :D

sounds like someone want a big hug!!

cStoE9bxsjF4keDgeE_BYxk7_HTk705u8BTGu51j

• Like 2

Lol you'll need those arms for vicky

Nope Kurt he's done a Michael Barrymore, he's all yours!

• Like 2

Forgot to say how much fun it was on the afternoon with the sun, great company and good craic. I think the best bit was the use of duct tape. We had a great laugh when it worked first time round. Well worth keeping some in the toolbox.

Highly recommend getting the egr plate fitted to anyone considering it. Best cheap and fun mod IMHO :)

• Like 1

I've had my plate on for a month now and feel no difference

• Like 1

I've had my plate on for a month now and feel no difference

Well its Better to be fitted than not in any case,

Have you considered upgrading your induction filter?

If the egr is clogged up or not behaving correctly but without error this is likely why you feel little difference

• Like 1

So should I put a cleaner in the fuel tank before I fill up next

• Like 1

hi hassen

you said you replaced all 4 tyres what make did you fit; was it summer or all season where did buy /pay for them reason i am asking is looking for info what members fit to there cars

paul

• Like 1

Just wanted to report my first impressions of having the egr blanked:

1. There is no more turbo lag in 1st gear. This is brilliant as it really was annoying me getting out of junctions/roundabouts.

2. The whole rev range is much smoother.

3. When downshifting, the car doesn't sound that it is being forced at higher revs if that makes sense. Again, smoother to downshift

4. Low end torque has improved a lot. Previously, if I were to drive at 50km/h in 5th gear, the car would choke and want to cut out. Now, I can cruise in town in 5th without any problems all while the engine runs quietly round 1,000 rpm

5. No data on mpg so far as it's only been a week. I plan to disconnect the battery over the weekend for an hour or so to try to reset the ECU.Then I will run the car with a full thank of fuel over the next week on my usual driving routes to see if there is any significant improvement in mpg.

So far, even with all the effort it took, I am very happy with the results. Cherry on top would be better mpg :)

• Like 1

hi hassen

you said you replaced all 4 tyres what make did you fit; was it summer or all season where did buy /pay for them reason i am asking is looking for info what members fit to there cars

paul

Hi Paul.

4 tyres were summer tyres but the grip so far in the wet has been excellent and the same in the dry. The tyres I got were Avon ZV5 and the best quote I got was actually from my local Ford garage who had recommend it themselves. Might be worth a look checking with your local Ford garage to see if they can get you a good deal. For comparison, I paid €475 for 4 tyres, tracking, wheel balancing and tyre disposal. Works out at €118.75 per tyre, which I thought wasn't too bad as I drive a lot of motorway miles and need tyres that will last a while.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1