Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

Used this guide the other day and it was perfect, car now is far better In 1st and second
Thanks lenny

Hi,
No Problem thanks for feedback, you may also like to view my guide on upgrading the factory fitted induction filter,
It works quite well after blanking the egr gives another slight increase :
http://www.fordowner...-fitting-guide/

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#167 Tank1987

Tank1987

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk2 estate 1.6 tdci style

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

I should be buying air filter on pay day lol, read many of your guides and they are very helpful

#168 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I should be buying air filter on pay day lol, read many of your guides and they are very helpful

thanks mate i appreciate it,
i created them in my spare time across three years,

#169 agill

agill

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2011

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hi - thanks for the excellent guide. I am sure this will have most falling off chairs with laughter, but all the same here goes: I was challenged with slacking off the nut holding the EGR cooling cylinder, but everything else went smoothly; except that is till the nice shiny blanking plate managed to escape my clammy fingers. Just where do they fall? Have looked everywhere underneath, taken panel off base etc, but it is vanished! Any suggestions would be greatly received from those, who like me, have fat fingers that couldn't quite get the plate to slot smoothly over the top pin.

#170 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

I did this on the cmax and the plate fell into the belt and pulley and got stuck lol so if you have removed the undertray and it'd not eating in there it could be wedged either on something, in a gap or perhaps it's fallen into place mostly?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

#171 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,512 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Oh boy I fat fingered mine too. I used a bit of blu tac on a stick to get the plate in. Blue tac fell off never to be seen again lol. It's a nightmare job

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

#172 agill

agill

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the comments - well after 15 miles over bumpy terrain, the plate has still not made an appearance. Must have got itself well and truly wedged somewhere in below the EGR completely out of sight. Hopefully it will work its way out - looks like I will be ordering another.

#173 Dee_82

Dee_82

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 137 posts
  • Name: Darren
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi folks, im new to these parts after I picked up a MK2.5 the other day an thought id pop by to say hello, already fitted the reversing sensors via one of these amazing guide an now looking towards the EGR valve!

Sounds fairly easy up to fitting the actual plate, would that be about right? wouldn't say I have big hands or anything but it would be my first outing playing with parts attached to the engine block.

Something I was thinking about was the affect on the DP filter, which is a concern as i have a Stage IV system, I saw someone mention that it would increase the pressure within the system helping clear it out but wouldn't it also increase the soot deposits in the filter given the exhaust gases haven't been re-burnt via the EGR?  Curious what your thoughts are on this?

Anyhow thanks for your time and look forward to spending more time around here..

#174 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi Darren, Welcome to the family!

To be honest the soot levels would increase a little, however, the performance of the engine, the fact that its hot gasses only being sent out the exhaust (rather than hot then cooled) it actually would improve the burning process of the soot in the regeneration.

The issue is that the EGR is only meant to recycle the gas and burn off the extra nitrous oxides, it doesnt actually improve the amount of soot leaving the engine, it just allows it another path to build up on, and another place to block up, resulting in another expensive part to replace because the dealers are afraid to get their hands dirty and clean a part, when they could just sell you another at top whack!

#175 Dee_82

Dee_82

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!  ok, but doesn't the EGR cooler just cool the air going back in to the engine though? after combustion it would be just as hot as it would normally be with or without the EGR? or does it cool the exhaust gasses headed to the DPF?

Though I guess an increase in pressure should allow it to get hotter at the DPF anyway, Eeek! Thermo dynamics or whatever it is isn't my strong point!  It would be a no brainer getting rid of the EGR and saving the engine some hassle if it wasn't for the DPF which can and likely will go wrong at some point sooner.

#176 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi Darren,

The exhaust gas passes through the EGR valve and onto the cooler, the heat exchange here gets the heat into the coolant and out through its normal cooling processes, the exhaust gas is cooled down and reinjected in order to try and kill off the extra bad bits that the EU are trying to save the world from being killed by. The exhaust gas is then transferred back out through the exhaust, but to my knowledge it does not come out as hot as its first pass, which causes some issues on the DPF.

However, the DPF in the 2009 is the cDPF (Ceramic Diesel Particulate Filter) this is a life long DPF (or so claim Ford) that manages entirely by self regeneration, requires no EOLYS fluid, and no maintenance (i.e. no change every 60k miles as on the MK2. So the more heat you chuck out, the easier it is for the car to clean itself.

The EGR blank does a lot more good than bad, it helps the turbo spool more easily, reduces engine workload, improve efficiency and contrary to the EU's popular belief, does not single handedly save the planet, its people and the goldfish that inhabit it. In fact, I would not be surprised if the carcinogenics that are going to kill us all are reduced by the fact that the EGR is disabled. As I look at it this way...

If you recycle the exhaust gas and reinject it, then you need to up the fuel level to keep the balance right, so your injecting more fuel to do the same job. Whereas when you blank it, the engine uses only the fuel it needs (hence the MPG increase after blanking) - so its now reduced the cack its putting out because its not throwing half as much in.

The engine is throwing out more heat into the exhaust to deal with the soot, the DPF is coping better because the car isnt having to throw more heat into the mix to get the exhaust gas hot enough to actually allow regeneration, so again there is no where near as much fuel being used. It takes pressure off the electric system because the fan isnt having to be spun up to keep the engine cool during regeneration, so its taking load off the electrical systems. The car is more responsive, so you dont need to put your foot down as much to get where you need to be, so your not wasting fuel.

The entire EGR argument is one I think that the EU Nuts thought "ooooh that sounds good, lets enforce it" (much like the whole Kym Jong Un "I like my haircut so every man must do it") but nobody seems to have ever thought what problems it causes!

All in all, its worht doing (if not just to stick your middle finger up at the man in the suit in the EU dictatorship) but it will help the car in many ways, and the DPF should not be a problem. I have been on this forum for a few years now (4.5) and in that time I have seen countless "My DPF has packed in" on the MK2 Focus, but I have yet to see anyone say that on a MK2.5 the same thing has happened :)

#177 Dee_82

Dee_82

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Nice, thanks for clearing that up, im up for giving Mr EU man the finger over the EGR, would have ripped the whole DPF system out too if it was no longer an MOT fail. 

The car is a MK2.5 but unfortunately it straddled the time between the stage IV+Early DPF and Stage V (with the ceramic ones) and got lumped with the Stage IV, I had its additive filled up before I got it but the state of the filter is an unknown so wasn't wanting to make it worse with the EGR plate, the previous owner lived and worked in Stranraer which is the back end of no where so probably didn't boot it once a week for decent amount of time, backed up by the lack of miles he ran it for over the years, im not really sure whats best.

Love the fact that the people who come up with these stupid ideas never have to worry themselves with them going wrong as they buy new and sell them off before they hit 50k leaving folk who cant buy new to pic up the cost of their mess! happy days.

appreciate your time

#178 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

that is bad news on the DPF front! To be fair, although its technically an MOT fail, its probably not a bad idea to consider its removal. Most the time they just check visually to make sure that its not been removed, but if they gut it and leave the shell its fine.

No one has as of yet come back and said they failed the MOT due to the removal. Look at it this way, they cant disassemble the car, so the best they can do is look - is the chamber still there? if it is, then they cant strip it out and check if there is something in there, they might tap and here if its empty, but if the shell is in, then its done. Best case scenario, you spend £300 or so getting it removed and you fly through the MOT, worst case, you spend £300, fail the MOT, buy a cheap and crappy DPF filter, open the weld, fit the filter (or gutless version) and re-weld. Now when they tap, they here somethings in there and they pass the MOT.

#179 Dee_82

Dee_82

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Yup, tell me about it, I think ill go ahead with the EGR anyway there are too many benefits to not do it and i just found new DPF filters for couple of hundred quid so worst case I can get one sooner rather than wait and keep it in storage until I work out how to change it myself and with a bit of luck before it packs in!

#180 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,141 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

its a pain in the backside job to replace it, and you need to continue to get the EOLYS fluid topped up (theres apparently a JML kit that you can use) but its a nuisance.

If I was you personally, and knowing that its illegal, if I was looking at a £1000 bill from Ford, or, I was looking at a £300 removal, I would do the removal. I would then put it in for MOT and if it fails, plead ignorance, take the car away and get someone to just chuck a DPF dilter on there so it looks present, then get the MOT passed, and remove it.

A local indie garage might charge you 30 minutes labour for the effort, so for £40 to get your car through an MOT and then to remove it after, you could be laughing...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egr, blanking egr, 1.6TDCi EGR Blank, focus egr blanking, fiesta egr blanking, cmax egr blanking, focus wiper removal, citroen hdi egr blanking, peugeot egr blanking

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users