• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi Lenny, thanks for the prompt reply.
I have followed your link to ebay and ordered a blanking plate.
Martin.

Hi Martin,
Did you get your blanking plate fitted yet mate?
If yes, how do you feel

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 adder360

adder360

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: adil
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

hello, i followed youre guide the other day and fitted one. well i say followed youre guide i tried to do it with out taking all the wipers off at first but i had to in the end because you just cant see.

much more even pull dont feel a masive dead spot at the lower revs well worth the low price.

good guide :)

#18 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

hello, i followed youre guide the other day and fitted one. well i say followed youre guide i tried to do it with out taking all the wipers off at first but i had to in the end because you just cant see.

much more even pull dont feel a masive dead spot at the lower revs well worth the low price.

good guide :)

Hi Adil,
Thank you for taking the time to join the forum and I'm glad you found my guide helpfull,
Since joining the forum you will now be able to view my signature which contains links to all of my guides,
You may also like to browse the guides section of the forum for more great guides created by fellow members of the forum.

I too tried to fit the blanking plate using my partners makeup mirror and a torch instead of removing the panels,
But I dropped the mirror and had to remove the under tray to retrieve it before she noticed I had taken a loan of it lol.

#19 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,406 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Lenny i must say great work man i have read many of your stuff on this forum and it is great! the links in your signature are VERY useful, don't remove them ;- )

I got one question, as i think i will be doing this mod myself... further down the line though as i need to break in my stock ZS so i can FEEL the difference later on.

Anyways the question, after blanking the EGR where does the gasses that are suppose to go through the EGR actually end up going? wont this cause a blockage of gasses? is there some sort of dump or release valve?

I have never owned a diesel before and it is alot to take in, very different from a petrol

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Lenny i must say great work man i have read many of your stuff on this forum and it is great! the links in your signature are VERY useful, don't remove them ;- )

I got one question, as i think i will be doing this mod myself... further down the line though as i need to break in my stock ZS so i can FEEL the difference later on.

Anyways the question, after blanking the EGR where does the gasses that are suppose to go through the EGR actually end up going? wont this cause a blockage of gasses? is there some sort of dump or release valve?

I have never owned a diesel before and it is alot to take in, very different from a petrol

Thanks very much Kurt, its always good to get peoples feedback on the guides, I enjoy creating them and helping others achieve their modifications.
Diesels are slightly different to petrol but much more rewarding when modified.
The EGR system is Exhaust Gas Recirculation,
It takes some of your exhaust waste and puts it back in to the combustion cycle.
This reduices the life of your engine, contaminates your oil and reduices the life of your turbo,

At all times the exhaust sends some gases to the EGR system.
Then on acceleration the EGR valve opens to allow this pass in to the induction for re-combustion.

By blanking the EGR inlet
The percentage of exhaust waste being sent to the EGR for recirculation will go out the exhaust instead of back through the system.

To best answer your question:
Pressure will build in the egr cooler but will blow back in to go down the exhaust manifold.
This higher pressure of gases blowing down the manifold spins the turbine faster at lower rpm reduicing turbo lag, and helps reduice carbon build up in the dreaded DPF!!
Meaning your car picks up speed quicker,

It also means your induction breaths in fresh air only,
Resulting in lower emissions as the ratio of fresh air to carbon neurons will be greater seperated by increased clean air induction.

#21 JohnDavis100

JohnDavis100

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus LX TDCi 1.6
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Hi Lenny
Thanks again,but I don't have any clicking noise and the yellow engine management light was back on within 2 hours. The fault reading says egr frozen. So I am guessing that mine is beyond repair? I have priced them at euros and they are quoting £193 !!
Just to check that the egr is supposed to be plugged in?
I also notice that sometimes it can go a bit flat, through the gears, then will kick into life
I am starting to get a bit annoyed with this car after a week of ownership, but I am determined to get to the bottom of it
Thanks for your help and advice
John

#22 ffz

ffz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI 109
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Fitted a blanking plate today, the car feels much better, certainly picks up speed better from idle/coasting now its not breathing polluted air!

#23 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,406 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Still have not received my Blanking plate! RAWWRR. not cool. anyways, the dealer called me today about sending me an e-mail with recall information. still yet to get that so i shall leave the egr blanking untill i find out what needs to be done recall wise

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Still have not received my Blanking plate! RAWWRR. not cool. anyways, the dealer called me today about sending me an e-mail with recall information. still yet to get that so i shall leave the egr blanking untill i find out what needs to be done recall wise

Just had mine serviced last Thursday, they never mentioned a recall on anything to me,
Keep us posted on that when you find out what it is the recall is on please.

I mentioned to the Ford mechanic prior to serviceing that I had the egr blanked encase it throws up an error andd he said "that's good it will run better as result, we don't make them, we just sell and service, egr is better blanked"
not the response I was expecting but good to know ford approve.

#25 Nickster

Nickster

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Great guide Lenny . Managed to fit mine with just the engine cover off although I wouldn't recommend doing it this way as its a leap of faith dropping the blanking plate in when you can't see it. Haven't noticed any increase in noise but the car definitely accelerates better . Well worth doing mate. Cheers.

#26 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Great guide Lenny . Managed to fit mine with just the engine cover off although I wouldn't recommend doing it this way as its a leap of faith dropping the blanking plate in when you can't see it. Haven't noticed any increase in noise but the car definitely accelerates better . Well worth doing mate. Cheers.

Hi Nick,
Thanks for feedback and glad you "feel the difference"
My K to the G (kpg) went up by 0.2more within a week after fitting.
Your next oil change will be better for your engine as it won't get as dirty next time around.

I wish I had your size hands mate,
Would have saved me removing the panels lol
Great feeling to have done it yourself though, really boosts confidence
And I agree; it would be a Gasping moment when you dropped the blanking plate down on the top bolt.
Hit or miss..
Miss and you would have had to remove the under tray to get it back.

#27 Nickster

Nickster

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi Nick,
Thanks for feedback and glad you "feel the difference"
My K to the G (kpg) went up by 0.2more within a week after fitting.
Your next oil change will be better for your engine as it won't get as dirty next time around.
I wish I had your size hands mate,
Would have saved me removing the panels lol
Great feeling to have done it yourself though, really boosts confidence
And I agree; it would be a Gasping moment when you dropped the blanking plate down on the top bolt.
Hit or miss..
Miss and you would have had to remove the under tray to get it back.

Cheer Lenny , noticed the difference straight away . Obviously not as strong as a remap but still enough of a difference to put a grin on my face and great to know that clean air is being sucked in.

Lol ...yeah It's been said before that I've got girly hands! Has its benefits though :)

#28 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,406 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Regarding the recall, they only wanted my details for future references so there is no recalls that i know of other than the rust issue, as my car is a 10 plate it comes with the anti scratch pad fitted.

Got my blanking plate now :D only need to find some time to fit it, might be getting a garage in the future woohoo

#29 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,353 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Regarding the recall, they only wanted my details for future references so there is no recalls that i know of other than the rust issue, as my car is a 10 plate it comes with the anti scratch pad fitted.

Got my blanking plate now :D only need to find some time to fit it, might be getting a garage in the future woohoo

thanks for updating on this,
I forgot to mention that if you would like to know weather your ford has an outstanding recall; you can log on to ford etis and enter your VIN to view your cars specific details aswell as any outstanding field service recalls to be done if any.

Ford fitted the anti chip decal to mine but put it in the wrong place lol 3mm to the right of where it rubs,

Image0463.jpg

#30 ffz

ffz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCI 109
  • Year: 2008

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just checked Ford Etis, any my car is showing no recalls, though I have the rubbing in the boot - A Ford main dealer painted it last year, and didn't apply a sticker... 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egr, blanking egr, 1.6TDCi EGR Blank, focus egr blanking, fiesta egr blanking, cmax egr blanking, focus wiper removal, citroen hdi egr blanking, peugeot egr blanking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users