Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed With 1991 1.6 8V Xr2I

bethxr2

i have a xr2i which is suffering from extreme jerking, its fine going fast but doesn't like going slow. on a little bit of throttle or deceleration it is terrible. changed plugs and leads, coil pack, air temp sensor coolant temp sensor. cleaned all breather pipes and idle control valve. its had a recent service. thinking maybe tps sensor or injectors? or maybe a fuelling problem. any help or ideas would be great thanks. don't know where to go next and can't just keep buying parts and hoping. thanks.

give all earth connections in engine bay a good clean up/check, not just battery earths but all the connections.

check wiring leading to coil pack, any bad connections there will cause this problem

crank sensor/wiring might be breaking down.

does this appear as an electrical/fuel type misfire..ie not a regular miss, or appear only running on 3 for eg, till you get the revs up

if the latter, do a compression check

thanks for the reply, crank sensor has been changed aswell, i have done so much i forget. its defiantly not a regular miss and seems to me to be a fuelling problem. it drives lovely when you put your foot down just impossible to drive slow. will check all earth wires today now. doesn't feel like a cylinder is down, its just really frustrating trying to drive it in traffic. it just wants to be foot flat everywhere.

check the fuel pump relay and wiring too then.

any possibility of checking fuel pressure?

• 1 month later...

Think you are on the right lines of the throttle position sensor. Don't think they were the most reliable and gave all sorts of driving problems. Think ford brought out modified gold plated terminals in the multiplug which would be cut off and re soldered on

• 9 years later...

Hi guys 

what was the problem in the end? I have the same issue 

thanks 

You win June's award for asking a question on post that has been dead for 9 years, much like the car I shouldn't wonder. 🤣

• Like 1

Yep, that car's returned to Asda's shelves at least three times by now

• Haha 1