Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Mk6/6.5 Manual To Electric Window Conversion

Fiesta1.25

I bought a basic low spec mk6 pre facelift fiesta with manual windows, so decided to look in to see if i could convert them to electric, i was pleased to read all over the internet that it was possible (without having to fit relays and wire into fusebox etc) so thought i would look for a decent guide for an amateaur like myself, but unfortunately couldn't find a comprehensive one, so i did the conversion and took photos so i could put a guide together to help people wanting to attempt it theirselves.

First i must say that if you attempt this and break your car dont blame me, as this is just to show whats involved.

IT is important that if fitting to a pre facelift you must fit the parts from a pre facelift car as the wiring loom plugs are different..... i will add pics at the end of this guide.

tools needed: Philips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Torx drivers (unsure of sizes sorry)
socket set or spanners (again,sorry can't remember sizes)

parts needed: Door card trim with the cut outs for window switches

Window switches,

Inner door panel with electric window motor,electric window regulator, and wiring loom obviously with electric window wiring and plugs.i found buying the whole inner door panel with all the parts attached a much easier and cheaper option.(£30-50 per side)

Ok first thing to do is disconnect the plug below the door hinges(turn anti clockwise)

next thing to do is remove the door card, so, the first to come off is the window winder :D
to do this, pull it out from the door slightly and you will see a
little spring/clip thingumy, remove it using a flat head screwdriver,

post-35396-0-12372000-1366905641_thumb.j

Next remove the mirror panel so twist the little adjuster arm anti clockwise and pull off, then carefully unclip the panel from the door I used a flathead screwdriver to prise (i'd advise you protect plastics by using a cloth between screwdriver and trim) making sure you dont break any of the clips holding it in place.

post-35396-0-56332400-1366906565_thumb.j

Next use a flat screwdiver or similar and use to prise off the window winder panel (you dont have to be too careful here as you will be replacing this piece of trim with the one that holds your window switches :)

post-35396-0-11337100-1366907400_thumb.j

Now behind the door latch theres a little cover hiding a philips screw, pop off the cover and unscrew the screw.

post-35396-0-33536600-1366908129_thumb.j

Remove the two screws holding on the door pull handle, these screws are torx (T25 possibly)

post-35396-0-55713200-1366907866_thumb.j

Next lie under the door and you will see two plastic hexagonal screw thingumies on the underside of the door card..... you need to unscrew then pull out.

post-35396-0-18289000-1366908344_thumb.j

once you are at this stage, the door card is ready to be unclipped from the door, using a flat screwdriver as a pry tool start on the outside edge of the doorcard just prise out enough to get your fingers between the doorcard and the door, then run your fingers along the bottom of the doorcard, popping the clips out as you go.

post-35396-0-37721400-1366908829_thumb.j

Now pull the doorcard out slightly and push it up to unhook it from the window seal. The doorcard still cant be completely removed at this stage, until the door latch has been unclipped..... be careful as you do this as it is quite easy to snap the clip.....

post-35396-0-66158800-1366909112_thumb.j

Now that the latch has been unclipped you can now completely remove the doorcard and begin tackling the inner panel.

post-35396-0-87995000-1366909269_thumb.j

Remove all the bolts on the outer edge securing the panel to the door, i think there are 12 in total.

now remove the two foam/or rubber gromets that allow you access to the clips which holds the window to the regulator. Note this will be different if you are doing the conversion to a 5 door car (there is only one clip holding the glass to the regulator) unfortunately i don't have a picture of a 5door model.

post-35396-0-10057100-1366909432_thumb.j

Next you have to re attach your window winder to roll the window down until you can see the clips that is holding the glass to the regulator (through the holes revealed by the rubber/foam gromets you previously removed)

Now with a decent long screwdriver push the centre of the clip firmly being careful not to slip or you will risk breaking the glass, as you are pushing the clip, pull the window upwards so that it releases from the regulator, then do the same with the other clip(3 door models)

post-35396-0-12963300-1366909985_thumb.j

Now that the window is released from the regulator you will discover that theres nothing to hold it in place so instead of removing the window from the door just slide it up the runners and tape it holding it in the up position.

Now for the trickiest part of the whole job, you need to unhook the panel from the locking mech........

post-35396-0-84542700-1366910956_thumb.j

post-35396-0-83262600-1366911021_thumb.j

the 2 above pictures are from the panel and the lock mech removed from the car just to show whats actually holding it in place,

Theres 3 lugs(circled in the pic) and a little position stopper(i forgot to identify this...but you can clearly see it to the upper left of the panel), and 4 holes on the lock mech, so what you have to do is slide the panel off the lock but to do this you have to push a screwdriver in to the position stopper to allow the two panels to move.

please be VERY CAREFUL here because you do not want to break the lugs especially when fitting the new electric panel.

sorry if this isn't described very well, but im sure you will see what i mean once you get to this stage.

once you seperate the panel from the lock you can disconnect the central locking plug.

Now you can now remove the panel from the door.

post-35396-0-34288700-1366911986_thumb.j

Once you have stripped the door you can then build it back up in reversal of removal using your new electric panels

Hope this guige helps at least a few of you wanting to do this very worthwhile upgrade.

I mentioned at the beginning of this guide that there are differences between the pre facelift and the facelift wiring looms.......

post-35396-0-31674900-1366912666_thumb.j

the above loom is from a PRE facelift mk6

and the loom below is from a facelift mk6.5

post-35396-0-49935200-1366912784_thumb.p

Thats about it, but if you need any questions answered or help during the conversion i will try my best to answer and help everyone who attempts the upgrade.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Top job matey :)

Excellent mate, thank you. One month to go then I can get this started!

No worries buddy, keep me posted and if you need any assistance don't hesitate to give me a shout.

• 5 months later...

Fiesta newbie here - is it similar procedure for MkIV? Are there any changes to the main car wiring?

Thanks

Hi mr newbie, Stevebower unfortunately I don't have any conclusive information whether this conversion is as simple on the mk 4 as it was on the mk6 I guess the best thing to do is give it a bash, or if there's any other foc members have info on whether its as easy.

There was no change to the main wiring loom on the mk6 basically change the manual regulator etc and replace with an electric one,..... Although there is a small wiring loom behind the door card they needs changed, but that's all, this just plugs into the main loom as the wiring into the fusebox is already in place.

Great guide , i'm sure it will help others

Great guide , i'm sure it will help others

Cheers for the positive comments preee and yeah hopefully it will help others, it's really not too difficult to do at all.

Many thanks - I've obtained the door loom so can test the electrics before I mount in the door. Will update the threads for others once I find out.

Cheers

Nice one stevebower any info whether the conversion is just as straightforward on the mk4/5 would defo help others out :-)

Well that was easy! (Your experience may differ wildly - Ed.) Connected up the replacement door loom to the door socket temporarily, plugged in winder & switch & it worked!:

doorloom

video:

electric window upgrade

I think that as I had electric locks anyway, that all the main car loom was the same. Hope you have the same luck!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent mate, thank you. One month to go then I can get this started!

Pluspistol

I need your help or steveblower's

I have mk6 already with heated electric mirrors & purchased facelift wider & colourcoded mirrors. Now as its a mk6 it has different loom to facelift mk6.5 .the wire colours on the pre & facelift nearly match colours on drivers mirror but not on passenger side. I was planning on hack off the facelift mirror conecter & join up to pre facelift one . All the colours on passenger side are more or less black so cant match up.

The other question is when Steveblower fitted loom is this a complete loom with leccy window /door mirror conecters on it?

Also was it pre or facelift loom?

Any help appreciated.

Yunii

Pluspistol

I need your help or steveblower's

I have mk6 already with heated electric mirrors & purchased facelift wider & colourcoded mirrors. Now as its a mk6 it has different loom to facelift mk6.5 .the wire colours on the pre & facelift nearly match colours on drivers mirror but not on passenger side. I was planning on hack off the facelift mirror conecter & join up to pre facelift one . All the colours on passenger side are more or less black so cant match up.

The other question is when Steveblower fitted loom is this a complete loom with leccy window /door mirror conecters on it?

Also was it pre or facelift loom?

Any help appreciated.

Yunii

Hi yunii,

I'm afraid I can't help with how to splice the connectors for the wing mirrors. You see I got ahold of some pre-facelift ST150 wing mirrors because they are the facelift design but have prefacelift connectors. (Not heated though I don't think..)

There are 3 different types of door loom:-

The most basic loom only connects the central locking and speaker.

The second type of loom connects locking, speaker and window motor.

Then the third type connects locking, speaker, window motor and electric mirrors.

You have to make sure it is a prefacelift loom to connect to the door socket.

I followed this guide, upgrading from the most basic loom to the third type, plugging in the motor, electric mirrors etc and after plugging the switch and door socket in everything worked. Didn't even need to put fuses in the box although that is something I've been meaning to check.

Any other questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Really wanted electric windows in my 3door 55 plate for a while and when i saw this guide i just had to do it. However im phoning around all my breakers and none have the parts any ideas?

im located in west sussex bn14 if that helps

Hi yunii,

I'm afraid I can't help with how to splice the connectors for the wing mirrors. You see I got ahold of some pre-facelift ST150 wing mirrors because they are the facelift design but have prefacelift connectors. (Not heated though I don't think..)

There are 3 different types of door loom:-

The most basic loom only connects the central locking and speaker.

The second type of loom connects locking, speaker and window motor.

Then the third type connects locking, speaker, window motor and electric mirrors.

You have to make sure it is a prefacelift loom to connect to the door socket.

I followed this guide, upgrading from the most basic loom to the third type, plugging in the motor, electric mirrors etc and after plugging the switch and door socket in everything worked. Didn't even need to put fuses in the box although that is something I've been meaning to check.

Any other questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Their is a guy called Jordan Boyle who breaks cars . He is on ffoc/focusowners.com & few others also has a garage called JB garage

Was on facebook .all you need is the mirrors nothing else

You can buy off eBay. All i had was the electric heated mirrors .i hacked off plugs & attached old miiror plug to new mirror so that it can connect into door loom. But you need to join the correct wires . This is only when you already have electric mirrors.

Yunii

Really wanted electric windows in my 3door 55 plate for a while and when i saw this guide i just had to do it. However im phoning around all my breakers and none have the parts any ideas?

im located in west sussex bn14 if that helps

Do you know if your car is a facelift or pre facelift? Let me know and I'll try and locate the exact parts you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Do you know if your car is a facelift or pre facelift? Let me know and I'll try and locate the exact parts you need.

Really appreciate the help, not sure what mine is but i'd assume pre facelift, I'm not actually 100% sure what pre and post facelift means. Its a 3dr 1.25 55 plate Studio and no mods that i know of. It has nothing fancy on it at all.

here's some pictures if that helps:

9ynTRzF.jpg

bTvhLQj.jpg

this is what it looked like before i put my own radio in

qHy5Hjk.jpg

Yeah that's a pre face lift mate, looks minted :-) and a bit like mine when I first got it before I added a few wee mods.

Leave it with me and I'll try and locate parts for you:-)

thank you

Yeah that's a pre face lift mate, looks minted :-) and a bit like mine when I first got it before I added a few wee mods.
Leave it with me and I'll try and locate parts for you:-)

Thank you :D

• 2 weeks later...

thank you

Thank you :D

Are you putting just electric windows in or electric mirrors as well?

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Newbie hear, could someone answer me a quick question.

I am looking at doing a manual to electric window conversion, with what I have read I can swap the plastic card behind door card.

my question is " can I use original window from car"

May thanks.

George

MK6 Fiesta 2003 3Dr

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Newbie hear, could someone answer me a quick question.

I am looking at doing a manual to electric window conversion, with what I have read I can swap the plastic card behind door card.

my question is " can I use original window from car"

May thanks.

George

MK6 Fiesta 2003 3Dr

Yes you can use your original window you need to replace the plastic card, add the correct wiring loom, fit motor and obviously the window switch and small plastic panel that holds the switch.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys have a feeling you might be able to help, ive got a mk6 and the window regulator cable broke, bought a new cable but cant get the inner door panel off you any idea if i need to remove the lock and the door handle from the door to get the panel off? 

I know you guide doesnt say anything bout that im genuinley struggling to get it off lol cheers in advance