Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plugs Behind Dash Blanks

salsheikh

guys,

i was going to remove the blanks next to the rear window heater switch (blanks above the dubby hole/ashtray unit) but they all have plugs into the back of them? does anyone know what they are for?

blanks as seen in link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-RS-Carbon-Fibre-Dash-Switch-Surround-Inc-Silver-Switches-/321114550379?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac3eb306b#ht_82wt_958

guys,

i was going to remove the blanks next to the rear window heater switch (blanks above the dubby hole/ashtray unit) but they all have plugs into the back of them? does anyone know what they are for?

blanks as seen in link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-RS-Carbon-Fibre-Dash-Switch-Surround-Inc-Silver-Switches-/321114550379?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac3eb306b#ht_82wt_958

Hi, that's an amazing coincidence, I have just removed the panel with my heated front and rear screen buttons, to swap it for a silver one, and I found connectors on the back of both blanks. I was going to ask if anybody knew what these spare connectors are for. In the picture you have posted, it looks like the one is for esp, but would my 2.0 Mk2 Ghia petrol have esp? and if so, why is there a connector on the back of a blank, and no switch fitted. This leaves the connector on the back of my other blanking plate, and what is it for? There are also 2 more connectors on the same loom that are taped up, and I assume these would be for heated seats?

ESP and heated seats as suggested mate...makes getting a heated interior tempting knowing that the wiring is already there!

The two blanks on the side are for the heated seats. The rest as you said are front / rear demisters and esp. I have never seen the fourth being used.

Your car could have ESP but not a button to disable it. The button was usually fitted in the ST/RS versions and i believe there is a guide around explaining how to retrofit the button.

To find out if your car has ESP, there are three options:

1. Check ETIS

2. Check the options in the dash. There should be an option to disable it.

3. Try to spin your wheels. In theory ESP should stop you.

ETIS says - Less Electronic Stability Control and - Less Brake Emergency Assist, so it would seem there would be no point fitting the ESP button, but I am very curious what the other wiring plug behind the other large blanking plate could be for.

its funny as mine says the same on ETIS but on IDS when i do a self check...it checks this function and you can hear the brakes engaging and releasing one by one.

I may have to look at the wiring diagram as mine is only on 1 blank and iirc its orange/black and black

From left to right-

Optional passenger airbag deactivation notification light.

Front demister.

Rear demister.

Esp deactivation switch (or roof control on a CC model)

so that makes a little sense. the wires are on the left one iirc. so that means when you ask ford to add the switch, they will just install the switch into the glove box, button/light on center console and then activate on IDS.

The ESP/CC-Roof wiring goes to the N/S passenger footwell to the left of the fuse box in Terminal C112 block. Unless you have an ST or a CC then this wiring stops there so even adding a switch to ESP like i did , it will not work.

If you have ESP on your car throught the menu , then you have to follow my guide for fitting the ESP switch.

If all wiring blocks are present then they are as follows

Left to Right

1) Left heated seat

2) Air Bag Switch (Passenger)

3) Front demister

4) Rear Demister

5) ESP/Cc roof

6) Drivers heated seat.

Just a quick thread hijack, but are the blanks easy to remove and how much space if any is behind them? I'm looking for a suitable place to install a 3.5 mm jack plug for the AUX when my new radio arrives.

Just a quick thread hijack, but are the blanks easy to remove and how much space if any is behind them? I'm looking for a suitable place to install a 3.5 mm jack plug for the AUX when my new radio arrives.

Lots of space behing the two main larger blanks

Sorry to hijack the thread too, but is it possible to use these as switches for something else (I,e parking sensors etc)? I don't care if the pictures don't match. Could I just use a standard passenger airbag switch and rewire it?

Thanks

The passenger airbag one is just a warning light with no switch mechanism.

You're better off with a spare front/rear demister switch and a spare loom plug with a length of wire to splice into.

Probably best heading to a scrappy so you can get the switch and at least 6 inches of wire on the connection.

Sorry to hijack the thread too, but is it possible to use these as switches for something else (I,e parking sensors etc)? I don't care if the pictures don't match. Could I just use a standard passenger airbag switch and rewire it?

Thanks

These are signal or pulse switch's , meaning when pressed they just send a signal to the relevant area which then activates to switch the part on , they are not a physical switch.

You can use the original switches to switch a seperate pulse relay. This relay will switch the power on or off.

Thanks, but I'm really not into car electronics at all. I have no idea what a relay is! :iim:

I thought it was a mechanical switch, which would have been fairly easy, but if its not, then I think I'll leave it.

Thanks anyway though! :D

Thanks, but I'm really not into car electronics at all. I have no idea what a relay is! :iim:

I thought it was a mechanical switch, which would have been fairly easy, but if its not, then I think I'll leave it.

Thanks anyway though! :D

you can get some very stylish machanical switch's off Fleabay , Pulse switch's are not cheap anyway , you can wire three normal relays together to create the same effect.