Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Parking Sensor Switch - To Work With Aftermarket Sensors

SNO1989

Hello all, great forum here that I've been reading for a while.

We've recently purchased a 2012 Fiesta Edge which we really love, but I am in the process of fitting some parking sensors front and rear into the factory positions.

I have no issues with the fitting of the sensors, or with vehicle electrics etc. as I've done this many times - but I want that factory look in our 'new' car.

I've ordered the 'Front Parking Switch' and bezel from Ford and it is exactly what I need. I've even managed to work out which pins provide a momentary action to engage the parking sensors but for the life of me am unable to get the backlight or 'on' light to work on the bench out of the car.

I'm led to believe the multiplug for this bezel (which can also house the ESP switch and Airbag Off light) is present in all Fiestas. I'm hoping when I take the dash apart tomorrow I will find this plug and plug it in - if anything to get the backlight working.

But does anyone have any experience with getting the 'on' LED to work, I'm guessing this would normally activate a Ford Module for the factory sensors, but I still cannot figure out on the bench how it illuminates the LED, even following the PCB tracks under a magnifying glass.

If anyone has done this before (I guess not as I did try searching) and can help in any way that would be great! :)

How did you get on? I am in the same position. I have just bought a second-hand 2012 Fiesta Zetec with the City Pack, which only includes the rear parking sensors. I also want to add the front ones. Ford will fit these but insist on placing a 'toggle' switch somewhere on the dashboard - no idea where and I really don't want a hole somewhere obvious.

My dashboard has a 'card holder' where the parking sensor switch would go. Was it easy to remove and replace with the 3 switch equivalent (according to the Owners Handbook pps 10-12; K: Parking Aid warning lamps or switch; L: Passenger airbag deactivation warning lamp; M Stability Control (ESP) switch). I don't have any of these.

Can you give me the part numbers of what you ordered from Ford (Front Parking switch and Bezel) please? Does this fit the whole area currently taken by the card holder or did you have to get blanking plates or something? BTW - How much did they cost?

I am not good with car maintenance, maybe I can pursuade Ford to do it properly if I pay for the extra parts and labour?

Just to clarify - when I said a second-hand 2012 Fiesta Zetec - I meant a car that was first registered in April 2012 (12 plate) and not the newest model released later in 2012.

SNO1989 I recall seeing a thread where the addition of the ESP was plug and play so I'd imagine the same would be possible with the parking sensors.

DrK, I am a few steps further in retro-fitting the Ford Front Parking Sensor switch - but haven't actually completed it yet.

As bigmunkynutz mentioned, the multiplug is there behind the dash just under the heating controls where your 'card holder' is. This multiplug, whilst wired for ESP, doesn't (in my model anyway) have the wires for the parking sensor brain.

I have bought the parking sensor switch (part no I'll have to get for you again - but I went into dealer and asked for it without giving my reg as prevously they said they couldn't order it as my car didn't have it?), stripped the dash down (

) and fitted it in place of the card holder. I can confirm plugging in the multiplug will allow the backlight LED to come on with the sidelights but that is all it does.

I'm currently waiting for a 'latching' relay to turn up (such as this one at the bottom of the page), as the switch uses 'negative' switching rather than positive, and is only of a momentary action. The mentioned relay will allow a quick press of the switch to activate the relay and for it to stay on until the switch is pressed again. As well as powering the parking sensor brain, I also need a return feed back to the switch to make the orange LED illumiate to say it's on. I am also trying to find out where I can purchase the terminals to fit into the multiplug that will allow me to run my own wires to the relay (as per pic below).

termnal.jpg

I'm keen to get this set up and working before I actually fit the sensors. I've done the rear and they are great, took the bumper off in the end as it was so quick and easy and the markings were there for the original sensors. I'm hoping to take the front bumper off, or at least the lights out to make it easier. I bought both sets from Dolphin Parking Sensors and they were great, rear picture below:

rearsensors.jpg

I'd like to stress there are other and easier ways to do this, one is to fit a micro rocker switch into the black compartment below the card holder, this doesn't look too out of place. You can also buy a canbus relay which will activate the sensors when the road speed drops below 6mph, I was tempted by this but am a bit of a control freak and so wanted to be able to turn them on and off as I needed the sensors rather than risk them coming on whilst sat behind someone at traffic lights etc.

• 1 year later...

I've got my OEM switch wired in with Ford Xvision front parking sensors (fitted after market).

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where to get the front parking sensor button from? Do you also know what the part number is?