Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Stripes

Jack92

Any of you guys removed the stripes from their car.

The stripes just aren't doing it for me so they have to go. I'm thinking the best way to go about it is to use an eraser wheel but I'm open to different ideas that may make the job much easier.

Thanks

Jack

Stripes should just be vinyl so a hot hair dryer or heat gun shall do the trick but it might have some discolouration where sun hasn't hit the paint under the stripes and use some soapy water to remove any gum. If it's stubborn try using metholated spirts (can get in Asda) but don't let it settle into paint as can blister it if on too long and by any means DO NOT use on a Resprayed car if ur unsure try some on a inconspicuous paint area

Having removed rub/ door strips from other cars I've found the best way to remove that glue is an eraser wheel but I will do the heat gun trick to remove the strip itself and I'll go from there.

Good call on the paintwork, reckon a good mop would sort that out, it is a fairly new car but I shall see how it fairs on the lower bumper first.

You could try t cut but that's if your willing to use it and if it's a newer car a good polish I would think would do the trick

I find lighter fuel is great for removing the sticky residue left by stickers etc. without damaging the paint . Just don't put a light to it.

I'm a bit sceptical about certain products, possibly wasn't caused by the product I put on my old car but the paint ended up flaking off where the chemical had been, the eraser wheel however worked wonders on the other side

Understandable I did what I stated above and stripped the paint off of a customers van at my work after removing vinyl graphics and I wad assured it was because the van was Resprayed. The other stuff we use is Avery graphics surface cleaner which is designed exactly for removing gum and general wiping down of paintwork before application. But you are safe with the above suggestion of petrol and lighter fluid as well.

Ah ok then, ill give the heat a go failing that ill try the suggested methods. Thanks guys

Just a quick one should a zetec s with tyre repair kit instead of spare wheel still come with a jack?

No they don't give you a jack as you don't need to jack the car up to use the tyre inflation system.

You could also use tardis to remove any stubborn glue etc

No they don't give you a jack as you don't need to jack the car up to use the tyre inflation system.

You could also use tardis to remove any stubborn glue etc

Thanks for the info mate, another question actually. Would removing the stripes from an s1600 affect the resale value at all?

Would imagine so as if needed they can easily be replaced and saw a few on auto trader stripe less and they are selling about the same as striped ones

I don't really know if I'm honest but for a buyer. You'd see it as a modified car and that could potentially put some buyers off?

I don't really know if I'm honest but for a buyer. You'd see it as a modified car and that could potentially put some buyers off?

It's a tough call, the more I see them the more they grow on me, it's just when I pass the odd corsa or c1 with stripes that it really puts me off

Not sure if it's mentioned, but be !Removed! careful using a heatgun - a mate of mine learnt the hard way and bodged his paintwork severely :(

Personally I'd never take mine off. Until the day when they're all crusty and minging but I won't have the car that long.

When you see the C1 etc with them, they're not a sporty car and the stripes are complemented by the wheels so I like it :D