Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2007 1.8Tdci Obd2 Code Storage

dogdays1

My Focus has twice failed with error messages on the dashboard and the red warning light illuminated. The first time was engine overheat caused by a stuck thermostat no mil code was stored,this was at the Ford service agent. Today a year later the engine management system failure light came on and the engine de-powered. I stopped and re-started the engine, it was back to normal with no light showing. I connected up my pc and though all the usual voltages, temperatures, RPM, and fuel pressures were shown, no stored MILcodes. I of course suspect its the EGR sticking, but why no stored codes?

When was your last service?

It could be a dirty fuel filter, amazing what problems that can cause.

If the light has been on, even if its gone off again there should be a code stored,,,, BUT all reading software is different, and some will pick up codes, where others won't.

Fuel pressures look good about 6000 psi at tick over and rising 16000 +psi when reving the engine. Its done about 20 thousand since its last main service when the filter was changed but these are normally every three services. The Ford agent said that there was no overheat error code last time I had a problem. I run two softwares, surely they both cannot be unable to see error codes.

Extra to the above.

The reason I suspect EGR is that I had just gone down a short steep hill with a double bend at the bottom. I took my foot off the pedal all the way down the last bit of the hill, it was after going round the bend and booting up the hill the problem came up. The engine did not stop, just when into limp mode. I shall clean the EGR and MAF sensor then check the fuel pressure on a run.

Well. I have had the codes read now and Mike 77 was right. My code reading software is crap. Its P2263 turbo boost pressure control. I think its time to book it into Fords.

check your pipes to see if there is a leak - use some sopay water (fair liquid) and pour this over the boost pipes and get someone to rev the car and see where the bubbles appear - might save you some money at ford

Well no pipe leaks that I can see with foam. I have used AGR cleaner and also cleaned the MAF sensor. Then the car was then given a good belt up the motorway whilst connect up to my laptop ( my wife calling the numbers). All looked good with the boost pressure and airflow and the fuel pressure reached 20,000psi at 80 mph. No further lights warnings came on and the engine responded much more lively than in recent months. I will cancel my booking with Ford as they want £80 just to connect up to the diagnostic,then unless a error is still persisting I suspect it will be fixing by substitution at my expense. I can see that in future that perfectly good cars are going to go to scrap through persistent ECU management faults that cost more than the cars worth. I wonder how many modern cars will make it over ten years old?

I will post again if there are further developments.

Thank you to all that have offered advice, it is much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club