Photo

Focus 2.0 Tdci Intermittent Starting Issue

focus diesel tdci 2.0 tdci ford focus starting starting issue intermittent starting issue

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 RobK

RobK

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2007

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi

Yeah, ended up taking it apart recently and there's no obvious reason why it's started happening.

The valve was quite tight though so have sanded it down so it's not as tight a fit.

Still does it's job and haven't had a problem since.

Better option than paying £95 + VAT for a replacement part!

Also just to go back on what I'd said before, removing the vacuum really isn't a valid solution as you'll lose turbo boost as well!

Shamus - taking a little while to start probably isn't anything to worry about unless it's a long time. I guess it's not impossible it's the same valve and it's coming loose very easily, but it seems to be quite a rare problem so I'd doubt that's your issue.

No harm in checking it a few times before you start up though to see if the valve is sticking closed.

Rob

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 2.0 TDCI Zetec
  • Year: 2010

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hi Rob,

Your symptons sound exactly the same as I am experiencing on my 2010 2.0 TDCI Galaxy.

I had it at a garage for a routine service and they naturally couldn't find anything wrong. Ironically, when I left the garage it wouldn't start - which I was genuinely pleased that it happened - nothing more annoying than trying to diagnose an intermittent fault. 

On this occasion, it took the most amount of attempts to start and for the first time (and last) I got a warning light on the dash. They plugged it into the diagnostics (independant garage, so a SnapOn i think) and it said intermittent ECU fault. They advised me to go to Ford as it's not their speciality.

I haven't yet, as it was only happening occasionally and sounds expensive, but like you, it seems to be getting a bit more frequent.

I joined to see if I could find out a resolution and I'm encouraged by your post :-) 

I'm no mechanic and don't perceive that I could repair/replace the valve myself, but I'd like to locate the pipe you mentioned to see if it solves the starting issue next time, in order to rule in or out the valve and aid the diagnosis/elimination process.

Any layman's description of where to find it would be appreciated :-)

Many thanks

John

#18 cobalt01

cobalt01

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hi john, have a look at your egr valve has mine turned out to be closed all the time and wouldnt open (and injector compression). If its closed push it open and try and start the car. Also i just got a diagnistics kit from ebay f super 2 its called and works wonders on my car, so may help you diagnosis what going on

#19 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Cobalt, I'll have to find out where that is too - another late night of surfing ahead of me!

#20 RobK

RobK

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hi John

It's too dark now, but I'll take a picture for you tomorrow as it seems like the easiest way to help identify it.

In very basic terms it will be the largest diameter hose (turbo hose) that comes up from the bottom of the engine to the front near the top.

If you loosen the clip at the top and slide the hose off then you should be able to reach the butterfly valve with your hand.

Try closing it by hand and seeing if it sticks at all or is particularly tight.

I also found that squeezing the turbo hose would sometimes be enough to release the valve if it was stuck. In this case listen carefully to see if you can hear it releasing. It should always be open apart from within a few moments of the engine stopping.

I never received an engine management light or fault though, so it's entirely possible you have a separate issue. Here's hoping it's simple!

Hope that helps for now!

Rob

#21 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Thanks very much Rob - top chap.
Not only would it be too dark, but if it's anything like here, very wet too!

#22 shamus1

shamus1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: shane
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 2.0 tdci
  • Year: 2005

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

Hi john, have a look at your egr valve has mine turned out to be closed all the time and wouldnt open (and injector compression). If its closed push it open and try and start the car. Also i just got a diagnistics kit from ebay f super 2 its called and works wonders on my car, so may help you diagnosis what going on

hi mate what do you mean by injector compression ?

#23 cobalt01

cobalt01

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Took car to ford who said no compression on the engine so being diesel it wont start. Went back to garage who got it off who said sometimes it can just be injectors that are showing low compression. Then changed all 4 injector seals (1 and 4 was down). Still wouldnt work. Then noticed that the egr valve was open upon putting everything back and then tested it and it started. So got that changed and went to start everytime. Neil

#24 shamus1

shamus1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: shane
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 2.0 tdci
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

just to add to this my throttle butterfly anti shudder valve was also the culprit of bad starting and when did start would not rev so sanded edges of butterfly and no problems now so it looks like this might be a common problem.

#25 sambo87

sambo87

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Name: Sam
  • Ford Model: Focus Style

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Mine was doing the same had to get the aa out in the end because it refused to start at work and he tried everything in the end he put it down to the egr valve being stuck open as he tapped this with a hammer and like magic it started !

#26 cobalt01

cobalt01

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Egr cost me 650 or so its just over 400 for part it replace it :-( now if had petrol car only 100 for part

#27 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi guys,

thank you all for the info and pointers so far - will let you know how I progress.

John

#28 RobK

RobK

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hi John

As promised some pictures to show the location. Hopefully in sequence they're quite easy to follow.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

For full sized pics click here.

Good luck!

Rob

#29 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi Rob,

That's brilliant - thank you so much, really appreciate it - I'll try and take a look tomorrow - weather permitting, but in the meantime I now know which one to squeeze if it occurs before i've had a chance to take it apart.

Thanks again

John

#30 Johnny Men

Johnny Men

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Latest update, many thanks to Rob for the photos that helped me to locate the turbo pipe and anti shudder valve to inspect.

Removed said pipe, found traces of oil at the top of the pipe and bottom of the valve assembly - is that normal? 

Cleaned it all up, fiddled with the butterfly valve, it felt a bit stiff, but not stuck, it seems like a strong spring, but not sure how easy it should be to move. I gave it a quick squirt of brake cleaner on the pivot point, re-cleaned and re-assembled. 

Now I just have to wait and see if it's made any difference......either way i'll be checking it again soon to see if the oil has returned.

Appreciate any thoughts on the oil front.

Thanks

John

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus, diesel, tdci, 2.0 tdci, ford focus, starting, starting issue, intermittent starting issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users