Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Halfrauds

Brigante

dunno if this topics allowed cause i suppose its badmouthing a company

but why are halfrauds prices so silly?

i mean i know its a store so it has electricity bills and staff wages etc to keep the store going but everythings so much more expensive

popped in there today for a can of paint, made me kid sister drive me in her polo cause my interiors in pieces at the moment

and she decided to buy a full set of Wiper Blades

front set of Bosch blades was 30quid

rear Halfords own blade was 20quid

got back home n i went on the bay, immediately found a front set of Bosch blades for 17quid and the rear Bosch blade for under 10quid

needless to say she's took the Wiper Blades back for refund n she's gonna order off eBay instead

its the same for everything though

when my missus bought me my headunit for my birthday, Halfords had it 'on sale' at about 300-400quid

i found it on amazon for 200quid

when i was looking for a satnav Halfords had my tomtom going for around 250quid, i found it on amazon for 170quid

do all the electricity bills etc really justify such a big markup?

btw i am aware this is what killed woolworths, hmv etc everyone buying online when they can get it half the price of what highstreet charge

oh another thing that makes me laugh is halfords fitting charges, my sister was actually contemplating paying the 4 or 5quid charge to have all the Wiper Blades fitted saying its not much extra, n the bloke was trying to convince her to go for it cause he could see she didnt know much about cars. i was just stood next to her looking at the bloke like hellooo?? i used to work in a car manufacturing plant building cars n i've done that much modifying to my own car also (including changing the wiper blades thankyou very much) so i know its a 2 second job to change wiper blades of all things. so she was actually going to pay 55quid for a full set of wiper blades fitted when you can get the lot for under 30quid off eBay

• Like 2

Companies with stores will never compete with online sales.

Halfords does itself no favours though when they haven't got half of what you need and the staff really don't understand what they're selling in the first place.

No wonder eBay does so well.

You feeling ok mate? Lol all you've done lately is rant! Haha I know what you mean though they're robbing git. I got a set of blades from them aswel and they had the audacity to automatically add the £5 fitting fee on it was only cause I checked the price before I put my code in and questioned it that they took it off! I was like seriously do I not look like I can fit my own damn wipers????! The guy was just like sorry ended up getting a fiver knocked off cause I complained to the manager B) lol

You feeling ok mate? Lol all you've done lately is rant!

lol knew you was gonna say that mate

its just bad times lately i suppose, really need my rear windscreen sorting

but then the world doesnt help make me feel better with silly people in it lol ;)

just made me laugh today at Halfords though, 50quid for a set of blades plus 5quid fitting charge. and the bloke really trying to sell the fitting to me sister cause he could see she dont know what shes on about. pah im probably more qualified to be working on cars than all the people working in Halfords put together lol. can definitely change Wiper Blades anyway :D

i think i need my own status

resident ranter or summin :P

or resident psycho :D

Lol I cant evem edit your profile to say it haha

lol how did you get dan the gas man

I can edit my own being a moderator lol speak nicely too Clive he might be able to edit yours with him being a super mod

I should set up a poll to vote for my new screen name or whatever you call it

Lol ask stoney n see if he can change it first lol

oh another thing that makes me laugh is halfords fitting charges, my sister was actually contemplating paying the 4 or 5quid charge to have all the wiper blades fitted saying its not much extra, n the bloke was trying to convince her to go for it cause he could see she didnt know much about cars. i was just stood next to her looking at the bloke like hellooo?? i used to work in a car manufacturing plant building cars n i've done that much modifying to my own car also (including changing the wiper blades thankyou very much) so i know its a 2 second job to change wiper blades of all things. so she was actually going to pay 55quid for a full set of wiper blades fitted when you can get the lot for under 30quid off ebay

I was waiting in line to get my free bottle of screen wash a month ago (courtesy of O2 Priority Moments) and I saw some bloke pay to have the bulbs for his head lamps changed on his Mercedes. What baffled me was the fact that he paid for the fitting, but he uncles crewed the caps and removed the old bulbs and then screwed the caps back on once the half

*once the Halford's member of staff simple inserted the bulb into its holder!

I wouldn't be stupid enough to pay for such a simple job. But I most certainly wouldn't pay for it and end up doing most of it myself!

I should set up a poll to vote for my new screen name or whatever you call it

Changed ;)

• Like 1

lool thats better

• Like 1

Lol!

They don't charge silly prices because they need to (not that much anyway), they do it because they can.

They are a nice big well known brand which many people with no idea what they are doing will go in and trust them, and pay whatever they ask.

I refused to work in anywhere like Halfords, PC World, etc when I was at uni for the very reason I could not work somewhere that is ripping people off.

• Like 1

I quite like Halford's actually. Good value on cleaning products, some decent bits and bobs here and there, and I have a discount to make their prices decent :P

Plus at my local one, they have trained mechanics working there (only out of coincidence, not that they got the job because they were trained), though God knows why you'd work there if you're trained >_>

I pop in now and then, but its a case of check eBay first, then check Halfords. if its cheap or no real difference I will reserve it for the convenience of having there and then, otherwise I check eurocarparts and similar.

How do you get a discount dave lad and how much do you get off?

I was looking at some cleaining products i've used myself before and gotta say Halfords was like at least 5quid more expensive

Still dont get how they can mark the Wiper Blades up so much though

They don't charge silly prices because they need to (not that much anyway), they do it because they can. They are a nice big well known brand which many people with no idea what they are doing will go in and trust them, and pay whatever they ask. I refused to work in anywhere like Halfords, PC World, etc when I was at uni for the very reason I could not work somewhere that is ripping people off.

Agreed! Thats the reason I'd never work for Scottish Gas (British Gas) cause they regularly tell people their boiler is knackered and they cant get parts to get them to have a new Boiler when you can get parts no problem! Again people fall for it because it's a big company and people trust them. You could be the best engineer working for the company but if you dont sell enough boilers each month you actually get pulled up for it!

How do you get a discount dave lad and how much do you get off?

I was looking at some cleaining products i've used myself before and gotta say halfords was like at least 5quid more expensive

Still dont get how they can mark the wiper blades up so much though

It's a trade discount, and it's 20%. I don't know if they have it at the moment, but when I popped in a week back they were doing 3 for 2 on all cleaning products. Picked up nearly £200 in Autoglym stuff and paid just under £110 for the lot :P

I feel they are expensive on some things but reasonable on others, its always worth popping in though as they do have offers on that work out cheaper than other places, such as "bogof" or "so much off".

Depends if you need it now or can wait for eBay delivery in a few days. Like all these DIY stores like B&Q sell cheap c**p fro China at over inflated prices compared to on-line discount stores. They are convenience stores like the local 7-11.

• Like 1

I have a trade card for Halfords but choose not to use it anymore, even their trade prices are a rip off!

They don't have a great range of stuff now and their filters and such things only seem to be stocked up to 2005 models.

I think they last thing I bought out their was about a year ago. Panic job on an old T reg cougar where I needed a belt ASAP on a Sunday.

They don't charge silly prices because they need to (not that much anyway), they do it because they can.

They are a nice big well known brand which many people with no idea what they are doing will go in and trust them, and pay whatever they ask.

I refused to work in anywhere like Halfords, PC World, etc when I was at uni for the very reason I could not work somewhere that is ripping people off.

Don't get me started on PC World, when you work in IT and they try and sell you or your family "crap" they just make themselves look like idiots, If you ask their "help desk team" technical questions they just sit there like "uhmm hmmm errr, sorry"