Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Titanium X

iNVADER84

Picked up my Focus Titanium X 1.0 (125PS) Ecoboost today. Very impressed indeed.

Just a few questions and comments really:

The only downer was that the 307 I traded in has been found to have a shot clutch, I k ow it sounds completely stupid, but I have always felt the clutch was weird but put it down to an older engine (up until now, I never knew what a shot clutch felt like) and I had asked a 'reputable' mechanic to take a look at it and he said it was fine, clearly not. Anyways, as I got a good deal from the garage I was happy to let him keep £100 of my deposit, is that fair or was one ripped off?

Other than that, has has anyone used the Ford iPhone lead? I'm using bluetooth at the moment but the control is limited (from what I have found anyways) is it a worth buy?

I was surprised to see drums on the focus, but I don't see it as a problem, the lightest car of the range probably doesn't need the braking power if the larger engines/estates. I guess they can look a little mixed through 5 spoke alloys but with the standard 17" 12 spokes on the TitX it masks anything major.

Congrats on the new car, I love my Titanium X. We need to see pictures though :P

Keeping back £100 is pretty reasonable if the clutch is genuinely shot and they didn't know, it will cost more than that to put right. Dealers normally take on the car in all good faith, so you could probably argue in some ways they should not agree to take it and then keep funds, but at the same time, they are trusting you not to give them a lemon without them knowing.

I'm surprised you have drums too, I thought all Focus had discs all round, but as you say, maybe with the 1L engine they don't feel the need. My 2L TDCi is probably considerably heavier!

• Like 1

My 1.6 TDCi Titanium has rear drums

drums are superior to disks theres no difference in stopping power as the rears only do a small percentage of the work disks are more expensive to repair and stick rust etc etc has nothing to do with power of the engine the front brakes do most of the work ive got the 1.6 ti vct and that has rear drums there was one with disks but ive found them a pain in the axxe in the past so didnt go for them disks on the rear are just a visual thing

I had just always thought discs all round were standard on the Focus (at least MK3).

How come they don't put drums on the front if they are superior then?

should have explained since the brake bias of the car is to the front the rears do little work in this respect drums are superior to disks but for the front disks are superior as thats where the majority of brake bias goes

Braking causes the car's weight to shift forward, and as a result about
70% of the work is done by the front brakes. (That's why your front
brakes tend to wear out faster.) By fitting disc brakes to the front
wheels and drum brakes to the rear wheels, manufacturers can provide
most of the benefits of disc brakes while lowering costs. (Drum brakes
are less expensive to make than disc brakes, largely because they can
also double as a parking brake, whereas disc brakes require a separate
parking brake mechanism.)

however disks on the rear are better in the wet as they fling water off whereas drums allow water in between the shoe and drum that being said the engine does the braking when downshifting anyway so theres no comparison or difference other than rear disks and pad swill wear quicker cost more to replace ansd have problems with the rear parking mechanism ceasing

Alexp999, we basically have the same car, sMe colour and trim, even down to the options (exactly the same), just a different engine!

The 1.0 Ecoboost really is a fantastic engine for its size pulls well(and maintains it), good uphill (a weird criteria I have) and sounds great (this ranges from whisper quiet to the distinctive growl of the 3-pot when you open her up). It does require some specific gear changing around town and, due to my driving style I have been left without the power I've wanted but that's really my fault. It isnt overly rev hungry and I'm seeing about 37mpg at the moment after 1 day of ownership with some heavy throttle testing.

I bought it as a family car for my upcoming child in October and wanted something quicker, better and moderner (it is a word) to last me for a while. I toyed with a 1.6 ecoboost and I toyed with the diesel, but I don't do the miles to justify the diesel and the 25bhp boost in BHP the 1.6 gives over the 1l doesn't warrant nearly £90 a year more for me, or the additional fuel which I am almost sure will be more. I've got the performance I need, and its pretty damn chuckable when I need it to be.

I haven't taken many pics yet, attached is an artsy version I took yesterday. I was apprehensive about the colour as I was dead set on Black or dark grey but pleasantly surprised. I also haven't seen many of this colour in or around Weymouth (with the possible exception of alexp999 who at least lives in the same county) so it's good to be a little different :-)

Overall, it's easily the most glorious car I have owned, taking the crown from my beloved GTi-6, and p***ing all over my part-exes 307 1.4.

post-43074-0-11433500-1368122988_thumb.j

Edited by alexp999
Please do not swear

Congrats on the new car m8 , i'm sure your going ot be happy with it

Alexp999, we basically have the same car, sMe colour and trim, even down to the options (exactly the same), just a different engine!

The 1.0 Ecoboost really is a fantastic engine for its size pulls well(and maintains it), good uphill (a weird criteria I have) and sounds great (this ranges from whisper quiet to the distinctive growl of the 3-pot when you open her up). It does require some specific gear changing around town and, due to my driving style I have been left without the power I've wanted but that's really my fault. It isnt overly rev hungry and I'm seeing about 37mpg at the moment after 1 day of ownership with some heavy throttle testing.

I bought it as a family car for my upcoming child in October and wanted something quicker, better and moderner (it is a word) to last me for a while. I toyed with a 1.6 ecoboost and I toyed with the diesel, but I don't do the miles to justify the diesel and the 25bhp boost in BHP the 1.6 gives over the 1l doesn't warrant nearly £90 a year more for me, or the additional fuel which I am almost sure will be more. I've got the performance I need, and its pretty damn chuckable when I need it to be.

I haven't taken many pics yet, attached is an artsy version I took yesterday. I was apprehensive about the colour as I was dead set on Black or dark grey but pleasantly surprised. I also haven't seen many of this colour in or around Weymouth (with the possible exception of alexp999 who at least lives in the same county) so it's good to be a little different :-)

Overall, it's easily the most glorious car I have owned, taking the crown from my beloved GTi-6, and p***ing all over my part-exes 307 1.4.

It looks like a model in that pic, haha!

I went in to the dealership convinced I wanted Midnight Sky, after having had Panther Black on my Fiesta. They had an Ink Blue Focus in the showroom and I just thought, "I want that!".

It is a much deeper colour than the blue available on the previous generations of Focus, it picks up the light amazingly, has a real rich metallic colour to it. I was amazed there are not more in that colour driving about. Although that said, I didn't pick it until I saw it, as the brochure does it no justice whatsoever.

I did consider going for the ecoboost, but I am a bit of a diesel head, despite not doing the mileage to justify it. (You can't argue with 250 lb ft of torque under your right foot :D ). I have always wanted a 2.0 TDCi Focus though, all the time I owned my Fiesta, always thought one day I would love a 2L diesel Focus.

I used to go into Weymouth a fair bit with my Fiesta, but haven't taken the Focus there yet as my Grandparents no longer have their caravan down there. Closest I have been is Dorchester, sorting out my Dad's next car...