Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 Ford Focus Intermittant Speedo

sandman1973

hi all

i have a 2001 ford focus all seems to be fine at the moment with the exception of the speedo. it has a mind of its own lol. i can be driving along and all is fine then for no reason the needle on the speedo will drop to zero. when this happens the mileage figure does not increase but the figures do not drop to zero they stay on the same number they where on before the speedo stops ( hope that makes sense )

all the other dials work properly at all times even when the speedo stops. is this an easy problem to solve

thanks in advance

rich

:wacko:

Ah the dreaded speedo sensor fault rears it's ugly head again.

It's a very well documented problem, had it myself on my old mk1.

If you search the forum and indeed the internet you'll find copious informstion concerning it.

I'll lay bets that your car also seems to lose power when the speedo drops?

The parts are dirt cheap on eBay but the removal of the old sensor can be a right mare.

no i have not noticed a drop in power. so is it the gearbox speed sensor if so i have seen it for around n£15 - 20 on eBay is that good

yep thats the one!

Replacement isnt that difficult, The easiest way is to get the car on stands and work from underneath. from the top is just a pita

its situated on the very back of the gearbox diff housing on the centre side. if you cone in head first from the front and come in the centre youll see it as you pass the sump - bulkhead gap. dead easy job

There have been horror stories of pins and sensors snapping on removal but i did mine relatively easily.

Patience and a firm but steady hand is the key.

I used a set of mole grips and a twisting/rocking motion on my sensor, the beggar is a tad tight, just be very careful with the pin.

• Like 1

As above, same with every aspect of mechanicing, go at it like a bull at a gate and you'll create yourself problems. Just take your time and work methodically!

excellent thanks guys :)

Hi mate, had this issue with my Mk1, its a very well known issue with the mk1 i got mine fixed at ford! They had to replace the clocks along with the gearbox speed sensor.

cool but i was not planning on spending that much i was thinking of doing it myself :D

There was a known problem with the dials suffering with shorts due to condensation but in your case i'd be surprised if it's this problem.

What you describe is the classic VSS fault, swap it out and you'll be fine.

just got to get a replacement first lol. does anyone know if it can be bought over the counter at a auto spares shop or if i would be better off on eBay

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club