Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Help Fiesta Zetec S

Essex Boy Dave

Hello,

i have a for fiesta zetec s 1.6

2000 model

but iv got a bit of a problem

the car was sitting for a year basiclly but i bought it yesterday, and when ni started it it was jump lumpy n the power was not there so i thought maybe spark plug n leads need changing so i bought new plugs and leads and is ticking over a bit better then what it was but the power was still not there but once u get in second gear n pick up speed it fine just in first gear...

so i took it to a garage to be put on a machine n it come up 02 heater sensor would that make the car run like that n make it loss its power or could it be something else ??

please someone help i no good with fiesta iv just had bad luck with all fiestas lol

Thanks

Dave

quite possible, but as its been sitting idle for a year i wouldnt condemn it yet

if possible, give it a decent run on a motorway, may well clear itself.

be aware though, sitting around doing nothing for a while may cause an issue with the rubber timing belt...if it was mine, i would change that and the oil/filter as a matter of course...to be on the safe side

it has a knn air filter and iv changed oil n stuff iv done all the basics what i could think of , do you think if i get new 02 sensor heater it will help or wont that effect the power n stuff ??

it can yes.

the sensor can be tested with the right equipment, or an emmission check might help diagnose the fault...but still think just a decent run may cure it...a good old italian tune up :)

i give it a go thanks see if get any luck once put new swnsor on n good run

why not give it a run first...might save you a few quid

but if you do renew, get a decent one, cheap ones are a waste of money...go for original/ngk/bosch or beru makes

If its ok once its heated up abit id say probably a coil pack

I had the exact same problem and it was the coil pack, engine was misfiring on cylinder 4 particularly when the engine was cold and would drive dead lump and jumpy for the first few minutes in 1st + 2nd gear

coil pack mate mine used to do the same changed all leads etc then did coil pack last and thats what it was. from ford there £30 + vat which is cheap. a few year back they were common to go and they retailed at £80 +

hope this helps

all very true...just because a code is set for o2, doesnt necessarily mean thats where the actual fault is...in fact, more often than not, it isnt.

thanks guys il grab a coil pack monday n i let you know if any change in it

was the fuel in the car also sitting for a year ?

i dont think fuel was in it because when i picked it up had to put petrol in as was on emty , but i got a new coil pack coming monday for it and i put it on see if any change...

i drove it back 70miles when picked up on motorway i was hitting 60 - 70 and it was running fine but when 1st 2nd gear just power not there dnt know but see wot happens when coil pack goes on new one ??

tryed another coil pack and still doing same ?? any other idea peoples :(

going back to original code, was it cleared and if so has it been checked again since to see if it has returned?

Wot you mean

your original post said the garage flagged a code up for the o2 sensor...did they then clear that code, if they did, has the codes been read again since to see if that or any other code has returned.

no they said i needed a new 02 sensor i bought new one today cost 61.20 from eurocarparts put it on it runs better then wot it was but the full power still not there a bit so far iv put new coil pack... plugs // leads // fresh oil // fresh petrol // cleaned air filter etc gonna take it for a good run on motorway some point see if that helps might have !Removed! blocked in some where needs clearing i dont know :/

Garage didnt clear the code

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

chances are they told you it needed a new sensor because that was the code it gave.

number of reasons an 02 sensor code can flag....

faulty/ leaking injector, air leak, blocked breather, blocked exhaust/failing cat, ignition misfire, engine misfire/low compression/burning oil....plus more besides...in other words the car needs a proper diagnostic, otherwise you could end up throwing a lot more parts at it than you already have.

if i was you, i would start with checking for air leaks/blocked breather, if that is ok then next step get the emissions checked, CO/HC and Lambda..that readout can help pinpoint where the fault lies..ie, ignition or fuel problem

I don't know when fuel filter was changed

• 5 weeks later...

not been on for a while did you get this sorted mate ?